Author Topic: Just drawing some attention to...  (Read 13851 times)

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Just drawing some attention to...
...some of the fine work that Water, a member of the BWO team has been doing for the FreeSpace Upgrade project.

Highly detailed GTF Valkyrie is under development: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,55877.80.html

During the course of BWO you will return to Earth and some of these now antique ships will be around and potentially available although far less survivable than the newer GTF Persus.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Re: Just drawing some attention to...
During the course of BWO you will return to Earth and some of these now antique ships will be around and potentially available although far less survivable than the newer GTF Persus.
I think the Valkyrie is a much better interceptor for its day than the Persueus.

But you're right, of course
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 01:19:28 am by Mars »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Speaking of drawing attention, did you change the forum description for BWO? :)

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Speaking of drawing attention, did you change the forum description for BWO? :)
I did...never liked the old one after being initially flattered.  At the time it was a bit more true, BWO being a collection of several people who had released major campaigns but most of those people are gone and the title doesn't say anything about BWO.
- IceFire

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I think the Valkyrie is a much better interceptor for its day than the Persueus.
Well, the Valkyrie was a straight interceptor, while the Perseus is an interceptor/Fighter.  The Perseus is fast, but not as fast as the Valkyrie.  On the other hand, the Perseus is a better dogfighter and has two secondary weapons bays.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Pshaw, I'm going to defect to the Earth side and kick those fancy GTVA fighters' butts with a rickety old Valk. It's not the fighter that matters, it's the pilot.

Also, I'm just as excited for BWO now as I was way back in 2000. Keep up the good work guys! :yes:
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
This new valk just looks so... sexy. I would want to fly it even if its armor was made out of paper... oh wait.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
IMO all those people getting sentimental over old, retired FS1 Great-War era fighters/bombers need to get a few Trebuchets shoved up their exhaust...

Err... Nevermind... :nervous:

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Why?  The Valkyrie is a far better pure interceptor than anything in FS2, other than the Horus...which was also an FS1-era interceptor.  I think Trivial Psychic made me finally realize why I've always held so much disdain for the Perseus as an interceptor: it was never meant to fulfill just that role.  It's an excellent, speedy all-around fighter, but it was never meant to take on the singular role that the Valkyrie performed so well.  That afterburner still makes me drool; you could fly at 165 for what seemed like days...

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
The Perseus is also supposed to conduct surgical strikes on enemy warships and destroy subsystems and turrets.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Indeed the Valkyrie is a pure interceptor which makes it good at that role but its less useful in a stand up fight.  We've essentially left it unchanged from its FS1 table stats and while its a speedy and compact fighter...they do tend to go down quickly.  You'll be seeing them in BWO but they aren't prolific and when they are they don't last too long.

The Perseus trades the Valkyries top speed for better protection and more versatility.  Its job is more like a modern day SEAD (Suppression of Enemy Air Defenses) type aircraft with multi-role fighter/interceptor/surgical interdiction capabilities.  Much more varied but it means that its primary job as the GTVA's interceptor fighter is somewhat compromised.
- IceFire

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
but even though it's an old bird, it won't be restricted to the ML-16. if you were one of those 'never get hit once' style pilots, you may well find the valk even more seductive than you remember. thought there are a few even more delicious options available to you, given how both paths give you a next generation top of the line dedicated interceptor.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
 This might be asking too much, but how often in the campagin are players likely to find a Valk in the load-out section, I seem to remember not very often at all?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
If you choose to side with Sol, I believe that it'd show up a bit :P
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
This might be asking too much, but how often in the campagin are players likely to find a Valk in the load-out section, I seem to remember not very often at all?
Probably not too often.  Its an old relic...as is the Apollo.  When you place a Valkyrie next to an Erinyes or something equally as powerful...things tend not to go too well.
- IceFire

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
The Valk's prolly very capable vs similarly equipped modern fighters in the right hands, although the right hands would prolly refer to use something more modern with more asskicking potential  :P
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline DREDHAWK

• If you go to Z'Ha'Dum you will die. (Kosh,Babylon5
    • Youtube Channel
Iv always perfered  the Perseus offer the valk it must just be me.
FROM FS1
When the destroyers came for us, we attacked. Never had we been defeated. They were like the others: strange, hideous, resisting, fighting. Only these were not like the others: They did not die. We made our first retreat. We could forego one system. We left it to the destroyers and went elsewhere. But they followed. They hunted us. They followed us when we retreated, discovered where we lived.
For a long time we did not know why they chased us. They were no ordinary enemy. They did not seek our territory, our technology, our resources.
Now we know our crime was sin.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Did you just escape from the hospital or something?

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Now now. Let's not be rude to one another. The man (boy?) is excited and has good intentions. That's good enough...

GAWD that sounds so fake coming from me.

I can't do this. Ice. Please. Words of wisdom. Anything I would have to say would be hypocritical.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 03:15:13 am by BlackDove »

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!

may not be just you, for since the Valk is fairly obsolete by the time the Perseus rolls out of production..

However.. with an old frame like the Valk, civvies may "hotrod" that old husk into something of a serious performer, no?  :p
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------