Author Topic: Anyone doing the Boanerges?  (Read 59705 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Re: Anyone doing the Boanerges?
Ooh, lovely curves! It looks a heck of a lot more Vasudan now, great job.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Looking good, keep it up.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Yus :yes: looks good.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Here's where things fall apart. I'm a really bad texture artist. :(

I've put up a screenie showing a quick mockup of what a texture may look like. Yes, I know there's pretty much no detail to it. I've fully UV-unwrapped everything so it's perfectly ready to BE textured... I just don't think I'm the man to do it. It really hurts to say that.

You'll have to forgive the dark spots, I didn't adjust the Max lighting.

If anyone else wants a crack at texturing it, they have little work to do. All the relevant polygons have been flattened, which took me pretty much all day.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Coooooooooool

If anyone else wants a crack at texturing it, they have little work to do. All the relevant polygons have been flattened, which took me pretty much all day.

Got linky?
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
That actually looks very beautiful. Something more detailed but with more or less the same color scheme would be perfect. :yes:

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Looks good now.  Though I might suggest modeling some of the details from the texture (plus other random macro-greebles) into the model.  Obviously, not too much, but I think it would really add something to the model.

How about this?

Course I'll be diverging from the concept art soon.

Edit: Opss thought this was in the Mod forum  :nervous:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 01:30:49 am by Scooby_Doo »
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I love the concept texturing, though it is a bit of a change from the current texture coloring.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
The model looks great, although the cockpit internal model looks pitched forward somewhat... but that really isn't a problem as such due to lack of gravity.

I haven't ever tried texturing anything but if you could supply a map with baked-in ambient occlusion (the model looks like it would really benefit from it, with all the... occluded areas it has) and the UVmap layout and possibly the current placeholder version (which doesn't look bad as it is by the way), I would like to give it a spin even if someone with more experience will complete an awesomer texture. If nothing else it would be an interesting exercise.

The concept model looks really cool too. In fact it looks more related to Zeus and Medusa than the Boanerges. The colours are lovely as well.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
I got a question ( not sure if it was asked already ), but how will the viewpoint be placed? It'd have to be placed like in the original ( at the middle of the cockpit? ), but then what about those people that play with cockpits enabled? Won't having a viewpoint in the middle of 2 pilots look weird to them?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Good point. It might be necessary to have the single pilot version as the default upgrade model (which would be incorporated into the MediaVP's) and two-pilot version as a mod... which I would certainly be using in the end. It just makes more sense to have a co-pilot/radar intercept officer on board such a huge ship.

Personally, I would not mind having the viewpoint 0.5-1 metres to the left from the centerline, especially considering the fact that Boa is not meant for ship-to-ship combat and has pitiful primaries no matter how well you can aim them, so changing the viewpoint location wouldn't in my opinion really change the balance all that much. It doesn't really make that much difference in the end.

If two versions becomes necessity, I would recommend keeping the external dimensions of the cockpit same and just fit the single-pilot cockpit in the middle of it.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Well I wouldn't mind having the viewpoint between the two pilots

But that's just me, how would the game work if the viewpoint was slightly off centre? Would you appear to be yawing left ever so slightly when you accelerate?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Well I wouldn't mind having the viewpoint between the two pilots

Well when the cockpit support comes online you would notice a discrepancy between your apparent position in cockpit and the viewpoint's position on the ship itself...

Or if you used the "show ship" flag you would see both pilots on your both sides.

But that's just me, how would the game work if the viewpoint was slightly off centre? Would you appear to be yawing left ever so slightly when you accelerate?

No. The only thing you would notice is that the forward firing guns would be slightly off from the aiming line, but I think it could actually be beneficial considering the positioning of the guns: You could probably have the port side weapon directly below the viewpoint (or very close to it) and the starboard side weapon would be on the right side normally. It probably wouldn't affect accuracy especially since the Boa's two primary weapons are positioned so close together...

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Okay that sounds alright then :yes:

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Was having the second pilot behind the first one ever considered?

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Was having the second pilot behind the first one ever considered?

Yes but the consensus was it fits lighter, more agile craft better. And traditionally with bombers, pilots sit side-by-side as co-operation between bomber crews usually involved crew members being able to take over jobs for the other, so they would need to be in the same space so to speak.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I bet most of us wouldn't mind a cockpit view set off to one side. I bet it'd look pretty cool. :P

Offline Water

Yes but the consensus was it fits lighter, more agile craft better. And traditionally with bombers, pilots sit side-by-side as co-operation between bomber crews usually involved crew members being able to take over jobs for the other, so they would need to be in the same space so to speak.
Side by side looks too cramped. It has heaps of vertical space to have the second pilot/nav behind and raised.