Author Topic: FS2 Open framerate drops no matter what detail settings used  (Read 11583 times)

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
Re: FS2 Open framerate drops no matter what detail settings used
Fly without the HUD !!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

I'm not a Skywalker  :lol:

Though as crazy as it sounds if there is an option to remove the HUD it might help me narrow down the problem.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
There is. You can also make the Messaging box either be a pop up or OFF.

Look in your Controls options for "Toggle Hud".
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Ok, anyone who posted between when you said

All the while the FPS remains at 60 though, which is puzzling  :lol:

and now who didn't mention v-sync is an idiot.

1) This is caused by v-sync being enabled. There's a launcher checkbox to disable it, under the Speed list.

2) As long as the framerate stays above 40 or so, it really isn't discernible to the human eye. The only real issues are things moving very fast across the screen. No offense, but if your framerate is 60, you shouldn't be complaining.

Edit: actually, he said it even before then. So castor and I are the only non-idiots around. Yaaaaay!

Edit the Second: and QuantumDelta has flamed me on IRC for that second part, so I strikethrough'd it. Apparently I was misinformed. :(
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 09:10:00 pm by Aardwolf »

Yep, disabling Vsync appears to fix all the judders (the com video judder and targeting judder) but if you're sensitive to it the tearing is horrible, with Vsync enabled the game judders like hell every time I get com traffic videos *unless* I use the debug executables, I don't know what this means but something weird is going on.

For a test I played through the first few missions of the unmodified game, it's perfect and smooth, albeit not very impressive  :(

Just out of interest, does anyone else get a nice steady 60fps-ish performance out of FS2O?  Is it Just as smooth as the unmodified game or do you live with the judder for the glorious visuals?

I'm just trying to figure out if I have a real issue here or if I'm just noticing something that everyone else just accepts  :lol:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 10:32:17 pm by WDeranged »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
You may need to force on triple buffering, which can be done in the driver control panel or nHancer. I play FS2 with vsync/TB on the same card and it works fine. I find almost any game intolerable without vsync, but space sims like FS2 exhibit some of the worst tearing as you say.

The only other thing that comes to mind is a multi-core timing glitch, which can sometimes cause the effects you describe. It really shouldn't be a problem with FS2 anymore, but this issue is very system-specific and it's hard to predict where it will come up.

If there was any motion irregularity with the engine itself, I would have been the first one to complain about it. :p

You may need to force on triple buffering, which can be done in the driver control panel or nHancer. I play FS2 with vsync/TB on the same card and it works fine. I find almost any game intolerable without vsync, but space sims like FS2 exhibit some of the worst tearing as you say.

The only other thing that comes to mind is a multi-core timing glitch, which can sometimes cause the effects you describe. It really shouldn't be a problem with FS2 anymore, but this issue is very system-specific and it's hard to predict where it will come up.

If there was any motion irregularity with the engine itself, I would have been the first one to complain about it. :p

I tried forcing triple buffering under the OpenGL settings of rivatuner, I also checked the cpu affinity, it was set to core 1, I changed it to core 0 but there was no change in performance :(

The strange thing is how what I'm targeting seems to cause slowdowns, I was just spinning around watching the motion of the nebula while cycling through targets, it would be perfectly smooth until I target a jump node, then it starts juddering, change target and rotation is perfectly smooth.

*sigh* computers eh?

If you're seeing tearing - if you can, try to limit your FPS with the max-fps thing, to a multiple of your monitors refresh rate, it mitigate the effect somewhat, though ultimately it depends on the quality of your monitor more than anything else.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
WDeranged, could you please try fs2_open_3_6_11r_sse2.exe found in the link below.
http://173.8.193.66:7701/svn/MediaVPs/Nightlies/fso-WIN-20090913_r5596-SSE2.7z

Edit: If you don't know how to open 7z archives, grab 7-Zip from http://www.7-zip.org/

I'll give that a try in a couple of hours when I get home, thanks  :)

No joy with that I'm afraid, the non debug exe still slows down when I get com videos, however I noticed that it doesn't happen if I have something targeted (...but only with 'all features on' in the launcher), this is the same for 3.6.10 and 3.6.11.5591, the debug versions of all the releases I've tried don't have the problem but the general low performance remains.

I'm using 'The Roman's Blunder' mission for all the testing I've done as the first five minutes are scripted and predictable, I noticed that in the debug versions the FPS counter is registering 45 (juddery) as I approach the Iceni, instead of flickering between 59.9 and 60 (smooth) as in the standard exe.

The search continues  :sigh:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 01:05:50 pm by WDeranged »

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
One other possibility, maybe worth a shot although it doesn't quite match your profile:

Are your FS2 files fragmented? That can certainly cause strange jittering.

I'm an compulsive defraggler  :D

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
One other thing, it may only be using one of his cores, but he's got that thing OC'd to 3.5GHz so I think that one core has enough juice to handle FSO.  Make sure the checkboxes in the launcher that refer to preloading data are checked.  I honestly don't know why some of those aren't just the default behavior nowadays.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Seems like a mystery, it's a bummer for sure, I really don't want to play the game "vanilla" now I've seen how epic it can be  :(

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Can you run a debug build and post the fs2_open.log from your data folder?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Try the "Cache Bitmaps between missions" (in the Launcher, under Game Speed) as well as the "Preload mission game sounds" (Under Audio) flags.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Hm, maybe a slight increase in fps but its barely noticeable, still getting the general judders I'm afraid.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Try a Nightly SSE or SSE2 Build.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys