Author Topic: Is my crosshair messed up?  (Read 2151 times)

Is my crosshair messed up?
Hi all, bought FS2 of GoG last week and got round to actually downloading it today. Installed it and then did a barebones manual FSO instal.

I can't help but feel that the aiming is messed up. I'm using the 3.6.10 version, on an eeePC at 1024x600 resolution. When I fire, my shots appear to be heading just toward the top of my crosshair, just in line with the highest of the 3 lines. Is this correct? It feels like it might be making it harder for me to hit stuff but I can't tell.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Is my crosshair messed up?
The retail crosshairs are misaligned by 1.5 pixels. This effect is probably exaggerated on widescreen resolutions.
Just put the files in the attached archive into <FS2 folder>/data/hud (create the folder if it doesn't exist).See if that works better.

[attachment deleted by Tolwyn]
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

The crosshair changed but it doesn't seem to have improved at all, my shots are hitting the top of the circle rather than the center.  :confused:

I've attached an image, hopefully it'll help. I'm not moving at all when the shot is taken obviously :P

[attachment deleted by Tolwyn]
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 02:47:11 pm by DUFFKING »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, a lot of it is determined by the ship you're flying. A Myrm's primary banks are way above, a Herc 2's are more centered. It's unfortunately impossible to make a one-size-fits-all-perfectly reticle.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Yalp. Looks like you're flying the Myrm.

However, I will say that it does look like the shots are going higher than usual. But then, you are using the two-gun primary bank, which is mounted very high up there.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

I guess I'll just need to be adjusting my aim then?

Judging from your comments I guess I'll eventually get a few more ships then? The ships option was greyed out, I've only done the first 3-4 missions, up to where you get transferred.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, you're not stuck flying the Myrm for the whole game. You'll get to fly nearly every plane in the arsenal at one point or another.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
The retail crosshairs are misaligned by 1.5 pixels. This effect is probably exaggerated on widescreen resolutions.
Just put the files in the attached archive into <FS2 folder>/data/hud (create the folder if it doesn't exist).See if that works better.

There's a fix for that?  :eek2:

Why is this not in mediaVPs?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Because it's something I did for myself, mostly. There's a fixed version in the mediavps svn, however, it's still misaligned by .5 pixels. The problem is the three-pronged design of the original.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Actually, Myrmidon's guns are quite easy to aim, just wait until you'll be flying Artemis or Ulysses.
Some non-canon ships (like Claymore Mk2 from Inferno R1) are even worse.