Author Topic: Randomly Generated Terrain... With Problems... (Help!)  (Read 5758 times)

Re: Randomly Generated Terrain... With Problems... (Help!)
Ah, there was supposed to be a question mark at the end.
Code: [Select]
std::vector<std::vector<int> > myTwoDVec; //create a 2-dimensional vector, be careful, the space between the two ">" at the end is needed
myTwoDVec.resize(4); //set the size of the first dimension to 4 (now contains 4 vector<int>)
myTwoDVec[0].resize(5,0); //set the size of the first vector of the second dimension to 5
// The values will look like this
// 0     0     0     0     0 //size 5
// empty //size 0
// empty //size 0
// empty //size 0
std::vector<std::vector<int> > myTwoDVec; //create a 2-dimensional vector
std::vector<int> tmp;
tmp.resize(5, 2);
myTwoDVec.resize(4, tmp); //set the size of the first dimension to 4 (now contains 4 vector<int>)
// The values will look like this
// 2     2     2     2     2
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/stl/vector/resize/

You can, of course, change single values with:
myTwoDVec[0][1] = 4; //be carefull that the vector is big enough to have this element)
or simply add an element at the end:
std::vector<int> tmp;
myTwoDVec.push_back(tmp);
myTwoDVec[0].push_back(6);
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/stl/vector/push_back/

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I think I'm down with most of the syntax and logic, but the array I'm trying to form is to be filled with double-precision numbers. Is there an addtional step for that, or would doing this work:

vector<vector<double> > 2Dvectorname; // This is the main vector "array," where the number of rows shall be initialized and another vector (declared
                                                                  // below) shall be used to control the number of columns.

vector<double> columninputs; // This controls the number of columns in the vector array.

Any help is appreciated.  :D If I can get this to work, I'll be golden.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Sure, just use double instead of int.
This works with any types, even with classes you have written yourself.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Thanks, that's good to hear!

I just want to say that your assistance has been invaluable, Uchuujinsan.  :)
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Thaeris, I'm not sure if it helps, but one way to visualise the STL is as comprised of Algorithms, Containers and Adaptors.
A container 'contains' an object (int/double/etc are all special cases of 'object'), an algorithm operates on a container (which could be a flat array also), and an adaptor makes a container behave slightly differently - for example queue is an adaptor to deque (MS STL).

There are some very good summaries around, but I like the cplusplus.com references.

Don't think of them as arrays - they behave quite differently (except for vector, which is fundamentally an array, but has some interesting insertion characteristics)

Hope the above helps with thinking about the STL.
STRONGTEA. Why can't the x86 be sane?

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
That was mentioned in my textbook, though there doesn't seem to be a tremendous selection of topics on STL templates in the text. It's not bad, however...

I must say though, that I do not believe that the algoritm library is going to be the help I need. I am actually very close to having something that works more like it was intended to, though. With any luck, it will be today.  ;7

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
(Insert "Yeah" beam here...)

YEAHHHHH!!!

It's not the best, but it works! All the framework is in place for eventually developing a procedural terrain generator.  :yes: :yes: :yes:

Below is a sample image of the initial file generated (the mesh covers four square kilometers), then the same file subdivided, stretched to an aesthetically pleasing shape, and given a texture I had lying around.

You'll need A C++ compiler to run the program in its current state - it's not stand alone. Also, if you choose to try it/play around with it, you'll need a program which supports the file format outputted by the program. Since you probably don't have AC3D, here's a link to the Blender scripts you'll need:

http://www.marginal.org.uk/x-planescenery/tools.html

[attachment deleted by admin]

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken