Poll

In an all out war (WITHOUT the Flood), who do you think would win?  If you think two factions would join forces, feel free to select them.

UNSC
Covenant
GTVA
Shivans

Author Topic: HALO vs FreeSpace  (Read 68353 times)

Offline NFSRacer

• Professional aircraft crasher!
    • Steam
I've been wondering, who would win in an all-out war?  Personally, I think the UNSC and GTVA would team-up on the Shivans and the Covies.  Also, I'm not so sure the Covenant would even be able to contact the Shivans anyway.  I mean, look at what happened to Bosh when he tried.
"Said 'It was up to us.  Up to us, to decide.  You've become a virus that eating up it host.  We've been watching you with all our eye, and what you seem to value most.  'So much potential'.  Or so we used to say.  Your greed, self-importance, and your arrogance, you p*** it all away.'" - NIN from Year Zero

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Hrm. It's an interesting fight.

Haloverse has a massive range advantage, much more flexible FTL, shielded warships, and comparably powerful weapons. FSverse has some crazy fluff numbers.

What about the Forerunners? They and the Ancients should fight. That would be AWESOME.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline NFSRacer

• Steam
What about the Forerunners? They and the Ancients should fight. That would be AWESOME.

Aside from what I've seen in the games, not a whole lot of info is given about Forerunner tech (aside from the rings, Sentinels, and the monitors), and there's officially jack-squat about Ancient tech, so that's why I didn't include them.

Also, I'm sure everyone can guess why I didn't put the Flood in this "war".
"Said 'It was up to us.  Up to us, to decide.  You've become a virus that eating up it host.  We've been watching you with all our eye, and what you seem to value most.  'So much potential'.  Or so we used to say.  Your greed, self-importance, and your arrogance, you p*** it all away.'" - NIN from Year Zero

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
In the end I think the Shivans would just raep everything, Flood included.

I suppose it's hypothetically possible, depending on one's take on the Shivans, for the Flood to compromise Shivans, in which case everything is screwed.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 04:12:40 pm by General Battuta »

Offline NFSRacer

• Steam
In the end I think the Shivans would just raep everything, Flood included.

The Flood AREN'T included...

...I think the Shivans would just raep everything...

...But I guess you MAY have a point there.

Seeing as how the shivans are purely space-fearing with no activities outside of their ships, it'd be next to impossible to infect a significant number of shivans for the flood to be a credible threat. That is assuming that the flood found the Shivans viable hosts to begin with.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline NFSRacer

• Steam
Seeing as how the shivans are purely space-fearing with no activities outside of their ships, it'd be next to impossible to infect a significant number of shivans for the flood to be a credible threat. That is assuming that the flood found the Shivans viable hosts to begin with.

I guess you have a point there, but aren't their ships more or less organic themselves?

The shivans? I know their race is highly cybernetic, but the ships themselves being organic?

That'd be a good point, as even if Shivan vessels were cybernetic in nature, the gravemind demonstrates considerable ability to manipulate artificial intelligence, as demonstrated in the conversion of Mendicant Bias in the Forerunner-Flood war.

[/halonerd]
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

FS ships can do pinpoint-accurate FTL jumps across systems, and do them extremely accurately and far faster than Halo ships can do Slipspace jumps.  Halo FTL also takes several weeks to travel to another system, whereas FS ships can do that in less than an hour.  FS beams can also penetrate shields, so that's a blow against the Covenant.  FS fighters also carry a lot more firepower than Halo fighters with their multi-kiloton warheads, and can go FTL inside a system, so a single FS destroyer can launch multiple simultaneous strikes against Halo targets in the same system, and the Halo ships may not even be able to detect the destroyer.  And if things get too messy in one of the strikes, the destroyer can always do a subspace jump there and start beaming any hostile warships to death.

On the other hand, Hallfight would certainly be interesting if SPARTAN-II's were boarding the Taranis.  Victory for the SPARTANs would pretty much require them to be properly equipped and use proper tactics.  SPARTANs equipped with battle rifles and assault rifles wouldn't be very effective against Shivans, however if the SPARTANs had weapons like the Spartan Laser, M99 Stanchion Gauss rifle, and Gatling guns, then they might have a chance, although the best possibility of success for the SPARTANs would be to use Covenant energy swords and to charge the Shivans and then use their superior reflexes and agility to dodge the Shivan melee attacks and then use their swords' armor-ignoring qualities to slice the Shivans to bits.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Don't forget that Halo ships tend to move with velocities of hundreds or thousands of km/s, no simply dozens of m/s.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, and that FreeSpace weapons are limited to a range of kilometers.

Also that Halo ships aren't remotely restricted by nodes.

Also, subspace jumps are no more accurate than Slipspace jumps so far as we can tell. Roughly comparable.

Covenant Slipspace jumps are accurate, however UNSC jumps are highly inaccurate.  Commander Keyes doesn't initiate a Slipspace microjump in his initial defense of Sigma Octanus because he is afraid of jumping into the planet.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Except the UNSC weapons on Longswords are all kinetic slugs, which, as implied by the Maxim gun, does negligible damage to shields, making Longswords ineffective against FS ships.

Covenant Slipspace jumps are accurate, however UNSC jumps are highly inaccurate.  Commander Keyes doesn't initiate a Slipspace microjump in his initial defense of Sigma Octanus because he is afraid of jumping into the planet.
As I recall, that would only be because he wouldn't have time for his Nav computer to calculate the jump properly.

Don't forget that Halo ships tend to move with velocities of hundreds or thousands of km/s, no simply dozens of m/s.
Yes, at cruise speed, but would a Longsword really have the ability to pull the turns required to dogfight at that speed?

Sorry for double post.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 04:16:11 am by Jeff Vader »
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
There would be no dogfight.  It would be a strafing run.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Shivans every time. As much as I love Earth and the UNSCDF, the GTA etc. . .

Eighty beam wielding jugs is just the tip of the spear as far as I believe.

We. Are. Screwed.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yes, at cruise speed, but would a Longsword really have the ability to pull the turns required to dogfight at that speed?

Sorry for double post.

That's not how it works in space. There is no turning in space.

There would be no dogfight.  It would be a strafing run.
Good point, as it seems Longswords are designed for that rather than close combat. They are fighter-bombers, after all.

I'm more interested in how well the Covenant would fare against the GTVA. Seraph fighters have shields and adequate plasma technology, covenant carriers are as large as the Colossus, as well as covenant cruisers being extremely agile (we're talking hundreds of m/s here).

Sorry for double post.

That's not how it works in space. There is no turning in space.
There is in Freespace. ;7
Either way, we know that the fighters in FS are that maneuverable.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
They're that maneuverable because FS breaks so many laws of physics you can hear Newton turning in his grave.  For the covenant cruisers, we're talking thousands of km/s, not anything in piddling little m/s.  Important to keep in mind that ship classes in Halo are actually correct.  Destroyers are small, Cruisers are big.

Then that means that Halo breaks it's own rules as well. In one of the books a Covenant cruiser turns virtually on a dime 180 degrees in a matter of seconds traveling at that speed. Virtually impossible without some sci-fi explanation that is never given.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.