Author Topic: idea for a new juggernaught  (Read 4330 times)

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
idea for a new juggernaught
My new signature seems somehow applicable here.    I was describing the Sathanas to Darkshear.

------------------
These are the big ****ers of the FS universe. They can pop any other ship in about.....3 volleys.
So...GTVA = ****ed, because they're insanely big and tough.
   -Explaining the Sathanas.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Originally posted by Sushi:
Awesome...now we just add a big pit for the gun, and some simple structures on the surface( like towers) and we're getting there.

I think the original Death Star laser was like delta_7890's original super-cannon idea, wasn't it.  There were 4/5 (?) blue beams that fired into a focus point before, a coupla seconds later, unleashing a massive blast that blew up a cap-ship in one.

It would be pretty cool to dogfight along the walls  

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases
Yeah, except I think the charge-beams were green or yellow... not sure. My dad took the Star Wars videos to the Netherlands when my parents split up  

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Quick question: Anybody ever thought of using a Geodesic(sp?) sphere instead of a longitudinal sphere? It's probably more polys, but the faces would all be about the same size. That would make it possible to create a standard repeating "surface" object, complete with turrets & towers, that you could embed in the face using FRED. I even have some ideas for making alignment easy. You could have several different types of standard surface segments that you could tile however you wanted, even.

I'm going to go play with 3DS and see what I can come up with.  

------------------
Sushi- the OTHER white meat!

Accelerate your game-Velocity Mod
Sushi's Freespace Zone-Future home of loads of cool stuff.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
yes, I made one for a shivan moon model and it works fine, it seems. but I didn't add any subobjects so...

------------------
venom2506
Member of the Robotech mod for FS2

and of Hidden Terror, the Shivan campaign

and My own page
SCREW CANON!

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Bummer...G-sphere isn't as uniform as I'd thought, that won't work.  

Death star fired five or six green beams that came together into one big beam.

You know what? The FS universe won't need a death star with very many anti-fighter turrets. It would have a strong enough hull that surface attack by fighters or bombers would be no threat- in fact, the only areas that would need antifighter defense would be around the main turrets, hangar bays, and subsystems. THAT would be a lot easier to implement in a Shivan death star- the station would be huge, but there would only be turrets around the major offensive beams and the subsystems.

Oh yeah, lots of defense around the reactor tube, which would have a lid that would have to be blown open.  

Anyways, the total turret count would be much less- still a lot, but by no means impossible.

------------------
Sushi- the OTHER white meat!

Accelerate your game-Velocity Mod
Sushi's Freespace Zone-Future home of loads of cool stuff.