Author Topic: 3.6.12 MediaVPs Discussion thread  (Read 97238 times)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Re: 3.6.12 MediaVPs Discussion thread
[Queen Victoria]We are not amused.[/Queen Victoria]

Offline Kolgena

I tried :(

The registry hack is legit though. Useful for using intermediate resolutions when a lower one runs really well, but the next higher one is just a smidge too much a hit on performance. For example, previous to me applying it on my own machine, my resolution jumped from 1366x768 to 1920x1080 with no in-betweens.

Offline Madcat

Thank you very much for all the work everyone.
I just played "Surrender Belisarius" as well and the visuals exceeded my expectations by far!  :nod:

I had the Nighteyes effect package installed just last week and thought the new effects would be along those lines, but... hot damn!  :D

Offline PeterX

• Peter
To now i´ve problem to show up with the SF Dragon.  :wtf: It´s definitifely on the right place and the hud is locking it correctly as taget. :yes:
But the model of the SF Dragon is totally invisable.  :rolleyes: The rest of the MVP´s is phenomenal :D :cool:
I would see the Dragon as HTL too.
Peter
If i can´t model any ship then i use "flying trains" :-)

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
That's a known problem with the FSPort.  I haven't had trouble with Dragons in any other campaign.
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
No invisible Dragons here. But then FSPort 3.1 doesn't support the latest Media VPs. Wait a few more days.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
should performance have dropped significantly with the new MVPs?  I was always able to run maxed on 3.6.10 with mv_advanced and everything with absolutely zero slowdown, but now my framerate is dropping noticably when the screen gets a little busy.  system specs:  amd 5600+ @~3.2 ghz, 2gb ram (win xp 32bit), HD4850.  i would have thought this was sufficient horsepower to run maxed out cleanly.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline PeterX

• Peter
The SF Dragon isn´t only in FSport invisible. The first time i´d saw this issue in tech room of the main campaign of FS2.
Can it be that i ´ve to upgrade my graphic drivers?
Peter
If i can´t model any ship then i use "flying trains" :-)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
should performance have dropped significantly with the new MVPs?  I was always able to run maxed on 3.6.10 with mv_advanced and everything with absolutely zero slowdown, but now my framerate is dropping noticably when the screen gets a little busy.  system specs:  amd 5600+ @~3.2 ghz, 2gb ram (win xp 32bit), HD4850.  i would have thought this was sufficient horsepower to run maxed out cleanly.

Yes, the new mediavps are significantly more taxing than the .10 ones. Try removing mv_advanced from the load path to see if it works better then.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Yes, the new mediavps are significantly more taxing than the .10 ones. Try removing mv_advanced from the load path to see if it works better then.
I don't really know if "significantly" is the right word. From my own experience the different when comparing only mediavps is rather minimal. On the other hand, I don't know how lower-end PC's do.

Klaustrophobia's PC specs are AMD 5600+ 2gb ram, ati hd4850 so he shouldn't have much/any problems with MV_Advanced.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Well, I have an Athlon XP 64 3200+, 2gb ram, ATI Sapphire x1650 pro 512mb AGP and I didn't encounter any performance issues.  :nervous:

Besides, it is finally possible to activate the wireframe targeting computer, having those unpostprocessed models in the target box was a bit disturbing.
I also tried the radar icons, they are useful but they wolud be better if the radar was a bit bigger.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 01:30:42 pm by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
If this hasn't been said before, it needs to be said, and if it has, it needs to be said again:

The 3.6.10 splash image was just that much awesomer. This new one is just too plain.

I mean, yeah I like my logo (and I can only assume I'm credited somewhere for it), but on a plain black background with the little SCP thing in the corner? It's not that awesome.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
No it wasn't. :p

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
If this hasn't been said before, it needs to be said, and if it has, it needs to be said again:

...This new one is just too plain.

I mean, yeah I like my logo (and I can only assume I'm credited somewhere for it), but on a plain black background with the little SCP thing in the corner? It's not that awesome.

I for one, agree. :yes:
The second one i created was million times better, then the current one.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 02:41:37 pm by Angelus »

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
No it wasn't. :p

Yes it was!

Old one back please?
* Droid803 does cute puppy look.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Kolgena

Someone put up all the submissions and open a community poll.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Someone put up all the submissions and open a community poll.

No.
It's not worth the effort, just for an image that you see only for 2 or sec, imo.

Here's the second one:

you can find more wips here:

http://s653.photobucket.com/albums/uu258/_Angelus_/FS2%20Ships/

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That is infinitely better than what we have now!

Except pull the HLP logo, it's silly just floating.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
That is infinitely better than what we have now!

Except pull the HLP logo, it's silly just floating.

Which is what everyone said in IRC back then...  :P

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
The second one is hideous. It is an abomination of graphic design. It is the vomitous of an untrained mind, and compounded by the availability of tools so corrupted as to make the true craftsman doubt his sanity. It alone is sufficient to undo all the work we as artists have invested into this project.

It is never to be seen again in these forums. Depart, now, from my presense.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...