Author Topic: Who ? What ? Why ? How long ?  (Read 14240 times)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Re: Who ? What ? Why ? How long ?
Noted :)

But the first step is the texture limit. Even low poly models can look quite nice (remember the distance you see it ingame most of the time)
Here is an example :

The truck is below 600 poly, the gun wagon is only 450. The textures make them look good.

MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
If you can get normalmapping or bumpmapping running in the engine you can do a lot of the details via textures.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yes, but we are talking about a RTS game here, with lots of small units on the screen (remember, this is MechCOMMANDER, not MechWARRIOR :) ) I don't believe that normal or bumpmapping can do any good when it's just displayed on small units. Though I have to admit, I do not have experience with that kind of mapping
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline newman

That really depends on how closely you can zoom in on said units. Pretty much all modern RTS games use normals. It's easy to do - in this case just create bump maps of said object's textures, and convert it to normals either using photoshop plugin, command line tools, crazybump, or some other tool. Of course, the question of engine actually supporting those is another matter entirely, but normals can bring a lot to the table in terms of looks. Ideally you want specular, glow and normal map support.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yep. I am not certain what version of DirectX the engine is based on, but one should definitely look into doing shader support (if it doesn't have that already). If it's already using shaders, adding support for those maps is rather trivial.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
I can't tell you that, that's something only magic and rollin can answer. Of course I would like to have all of this, but don't forget, we are now, where SCP was 8 years before today. I think we must first concentrate on the basics :)

As for the zooming, you can actually zoom in very much, which would make a good mapping, texture size and even lodding necessary.

Take a look (and also the madcat for newman  :p )

This is the max that is possible, but it will need another camera change (should be easy in a config file) to get the camera more horizontaly, the current angle is max :

http://wcsaga.hard-light.net/team/Starman/pics/screen0004.jpg

And I often like to play in that variant, where I can still move the camera horizontally

http://wcsaga.hard-light.net/team/Starman/pics/screen0003.jpg

So yes, new graphic would be sweat, but first we need a higher texture resolution :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
That really depends on how closely you can zoom in on said units. Pretty much all modern RTS games use normals

Jup, best example I can think of is StarCraft2. Even if the units are pretty small it gives thems lots of details and "realism"
Sure I know that you have to do things step by step but I guess that as the project evolves you will most likely walk the path of SCP in adding stuff over the years.

To bad I sold my copy of MC2....
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Well, if it is easy, I would love to have normal maps, don't get me wrong :) But they will suck with 128x128 texture size :)

To bad I sold my copy of MC2....

It's free, just no multiplayer and video in it (atm) ;)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
I will see if I get a copy of it on ebay or something like that. I like videos with my games ^_^
Also its one of the Battletech games I just noticed missing in my collection.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Well, then at least be sure to get the englisch version, you know how much the german voice overs sucked. And don't pay too much, THOSE videos were certainly not worth much :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
The videos where not that good, I agree but without them its missing something.
Still I have other videos to do first...you know what I mean ^_^

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yep :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Dammit, I wish I could help SOMEHOW, but the only thing I'm any good at is playing it.  :sigh:

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Dammit, I wish I could help SOMEHOW, but the only thing I'm any good at is playing it.  :sigh:

Get a modeling program and start learning the ropes. Modelers - good modelers - are always needed. The only way to become is to start. :D

Next, this is a question I've had for a while... What are the benefits of either OpenGL or DirectX? I've heard the pros and cons of both to a minor extent over the course of time, though from what I've heard to date I'd assume OpenGL to be the way to go in the long run. Is there a more authorative stance on this comparison?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It depends on what you want to do. If you want the program to run on platforms other than Windows, you must use OpenGL. However, if multiplatform capability is not your goal, then using DirectX gives you the advantage of somewhat better driver-side support (Intel cards, for example, usually fare better with DirectX).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline magic

I can't tell you that, that's something only magic and rollin can answer. Of course I would like to have all of this, but don't forget, we are now, where SCP was 8 years before today. I think we must first concentrate on the basics :)

As for the zooming, you can actually zoom in very much, which would make a good mapping, texture size and even lodding necessary.

Take a look (and also the madcat for newman  :p )

This is the max that is possible, but it will need another camera change (should be easy in a config file) to get the camera more horizontaly, the current angle is max :

http://wcsaga.hard-light.net/team/Starman/pics/screen0004.jpg

And I often like to play in that variant, where I can still move the camera horizontally

http://wcsaga.hard-light.net/team/Starman/pics/screen0003.jpg

So yes, new graphic would be sweat, but first we need a higher texture resolution :)

Why using MadCat as an examle I made Timberwolf. It looks mush better and has higher num of polys.

I made all these models for mc2 around 2002-2003 and since then I made no models.

Right now I am trying to be only programmer, didnt look at all in "graphics" part of the game.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Oh sweet, I didn't knew these are different models, I just thought it's a variant for giving it a new clan name :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
MadCat and Timberwolf are the same Mech. One is the Inner Sphere name and the other is the Clan name for it.
IIRC MadCat was the combination of names from Marodeur and Catapault because the Timberwolf has the combined firepower of these two Mechs when it was first encountered.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Dude, we know :)

He is talking about the mechs in the editor, there are two different models behind the two names :)

Besides, you are wrong ;)

Mad Cat is the name of the Clan Smoke Jaguar, Timber Wolf is from Clan Wolf. The Inner Sphere codenamed the mech Catapract
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
Ok, didn't know about the editor but...

This is a MadCat/Timberwolf/Waldwolf -> http://kernspeicher.twobt.de/images/tro/mech/timberwolf.gif
and this is a Cataphract -> http://kernspeicher.twobt.de/images/tro/mech/cataphract.gif

Except I am missing something these are two very different mechs.