Author Topic: What the heck happened to the forums!!!????oneoneone  (Read 38848 times)

Offline Sololop

Re: What the heck happened to the forums!!!????oneoneone
I find it amusing that people keep needing to ask for things to be re-incorporated, which has been already stated, that they will be.

Patience is a virtue.

On topic, a more secure and stable forum is a better forum indeed. Plus, I kind of hope that the skin maybe gets a few new looks. Change is good! (IMO)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Admin approval of new user accounts is now removed and we're back to normal email activation. In addition to regular CAPTCHA, there is FS-themed image quiz.

This should stop bots from registering. But it does not prevent humans from registering their bots. In the latter case, they are very difficult to distinguish until they add spam links to their signatures and start posting. But I hope this at least reduces spammer numbers.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
About the color scheme: The goggles, they do nothing!

Dammit SpardaSon! That's exactly what I was going to say!
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
The FS quiz sounds like a good idea. If you don't recognize, say, the Colossus, then you have no business on an FS forum.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Unless your here for TBP or Diaspora or that new forum that doesn't even need FS2_Open.............
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Yeah, I can see that causing big issues post Diaspora release if the response is anything like as strong as the BtRL release generated (and hopefully post FOTG release). Maybe make it a more generic sci-fi quiz? X Wing, TIE Fighter, Original Enterprise, that sort of thing? Or maybe something even more generic "Name the shape in this image" - circle, square, triangle, pentagon etc.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Even if images are FS-themed, there needs to be clear answer in said image to the question asked. Like FUBAR said, you can't rely on the fact that everyone knows anything about FS if they're hear for total conversions for example.

If you log out and try to register, you will see that it should be very apparent what is correct answer in the FS image quiz, even if you're not familiar with FS itself. More similar images will be added later.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Ah, nameplates. Gotcha. :D
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
If you log out and try to register, you will see that it should be very apparent what is correct answer in the FS image quiz, even if you're not familiar with FS itself. More similar images will be added later.

Very cool. :) Good job, Fury! :yes2:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Gryffon

:yes:
Good call.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
As you may have noticed from earlier posts, we now use in-game screenshots as part of the CAPTCHA in registration page. We now have ten images of different ships showing their nameplates. We gladly accept more if you're willing to contribute. As you can see, nameplates of ships from different mods are more than welcome.

FS2 001
FS2 002
FS2 003
TBP 001
TBP 002
FSPort 001
FSPort 002
AoA 001
AoA 002
Diaspora 001

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Hmmm... Would you be interested in some screens from Stellar Assault?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Of course. Just as long as it shows nameplate of a ship clearly enough and is 800x600.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
That's really cool :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline iamzack

But.. how is that different from a captcha? Isn't it still an image with letters in it you have to copy?
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
el hombre vicio...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
But.. how is that different from a captcha? Isn't it still an image with letters in it you have to copy?
It's a different captcha that bots hopefully haven't adapted to yet.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Best CAPTCHA I ever came up with was a pattern-recognition one, where you'd have to type out the missing word. I had sentences such as "North, ____, East, West" and "____, South, East, West", etc. The bots didn't stand a chance.

....oh, did I forget to mention that it was in Hebrew, for an Israeli site? ;) Take this, bots! "צפון, ___, מזרח, מערב"

The second-best, suitable for a more global audience, can be seen here. The secret was that the CAPTCHA generator script was able to use TrueType fonts, so I grabbed a bunch of very funky ones off of AcidFonts (which our very own and much-missed Setekh turned me on to years ago). :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Firartix

• Random Noob
When i typed "hard-light" in my browser and this page showed up, i thought i somehow went on the wrong forum...
And then i almost had an heart attack when i saw the "Hard Light Production Forums" title.

Spam protection might be cool, but please, get the cool old skin (or a better one?) back asap :P !

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Here's a pic with a name plate.

EDIT: ah, crap. Resizing the pic to 800*600

Edit2: done