Author Topic: New theme issues  (Read 245303 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Choice is good, but I wonder if it would be better to make the full-width setting the default.  Otherwise people might see the narrow post width and think the site is broken or badly coded.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Awesome :)
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Everything looks fixed. Fixed width is perfect on 1280x1024. The blue glow on the text box looks very pleasant as well. Was that intentional? The drop-down menus are "HLP-colored."

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
WIN.

My only complain would be the gray box below that contains the drop down menu with all the boards and the "go" button, it kinda needs some tweaking to fit on the hole theme.
But that's just a minor thing, awesome work :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I've been seeing these weird things happening to posts where the post will have both a horizontal and vertical scroll bar.  That's annoying at the best of times, but it's actually completely obscuring the post itself, when the post is a single line long or shorter.  It's quite irritating.

EDIT: I'm using the fixed width option.  That might be the problem.  Switching to fluid width did not fix the problem.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 09:10:33 pm by Scotty »

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
I am liking the defaults so far.  I like the fixed width of the posts. I like the menu bar floating.

My primary complaint right now is that on small displays (like an iPod Touch) the floating top menu covers half of the display.
Actually after trying to post a screenshot from my iPod, this site is unusable on small displays, because of things like, the login box being covered with the floating menu when you click on to start entering text. The posts are too wide resulting in continuous scrolling horizontally. The post box is too wide for the screen (and still has that impossible to use bar to make the box taller instead of a scrollbar). Everything that is not visible by default has a white background.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 09:39:20 pm by Iss Mneur »
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Is the text encoding for the site supposed to be UTF-8 or ISO-8859-1?

The HTML meta tag says ISO-8859-1, but I could have sworn it was UTF-8 before, given that the topic of the Whatcha Listenin' To? thread appears incorrectly when the encoding is ISO-8859-1 -- the copyright symbol appears as two characters instead of one.

While I'm posting:

- Font size for buttons (Post/Preview/etc) seems rather large, as does the the font size used when composing replies to posts. This is in Firefox on OS X, in case that's useful.

- +1 for the floating menu bar and on-click instead of on-hover. :yes:

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
cool liking a lot, one request though, is any chance of having a hover delay/time setting for the menu trigger? I would like to have a 1 or 2 second delay between mouse over and the menu triggering to minimise unwanted activation

Just looked into this some (as you may or may not have noticed), but alas, there's no real way to do so with the menu framework we're using. As it is, if you hover a nav item to open the submenu, and then click on the same nav item, it won't go away unless you click elsewhere. OnClick is really the ideal setting in this case.

Choice is good, but I wonder if it would be better to make the full-width setting the default.  Otherwise people might see the narrow post width and think the site is broken or badly coded.

I considered that, but decided against it unless I hear an uproar from people. The limited width is definitely not "narrow" - matter of fact, it's far wider than most sites, at 1170px. For comparison, most frameworks stop at around 960px. :p Regardless, we can replace the current news announcement with one stating that people should go set their defaults. :)

My only complain would be the gray box below that contains the drop down menu with all the boards and the "go" button, it kinda needs some tweaking to fit on the hole theme.

That's on the to-do list, which now looks like this:

• Deeper darker News Bar colors
  • Fluid/fixed width toggle? - Done
  • Static/Fixed navbar? - Done
  • Smaller navbar? - Seeing as the navbar setting is a user-preference, I consider this no longer relevant.
  • lightbox-esque script for images
  • Signature mouseovers
  • Button font?
  • Messy area above quick reply box

I've been seeing these weird things happening to posts where the post will have both a horizontal and vertical scroll bar.  That's annoying at the best of times, but it's actually completely obscuring the post itself, when the post is a single line long or shorter.  It's quite irritating.

EDIT: I'm using the fixed width option.  That might be the problem.  Switching to fluid width did not fix the problem.

What browser, OS, etc? Are you zoomed in or anything? Also, screenshot, please.

My primary complaint right now is that on small displays (like an iPod Touch) the floating top menu covers half of the display.
Actually after trying to post a screenshot from my iPod, this site is unusable on small displays, because of things like, the login box being covered with the floating menu when you click on to start entering text. The posts are too wide resulting in continuous scrolling horizontally. The post box is too wide for the screen (and still has that impossible to use bar to make the box taller instead of a scrollbar). Everything that is not visible by default has a white background.

I'll be doing some testing on and changes for mobile devices over the weekend, I hope. Hang in there. :)

Is the text encoding for the site supposed to be UTF-8 or ISO-8859-1?

The HTML meta tag says ISO-8859-1, but I could have sworn it was UTF-8 before, given that the topic of the Whatcha Listenin' To? thread appears incorrectly when the encoding is ISO-8859-1 -- the copyright symbol appears as two characters instead of one.

While I'm posting:

- Font size for buttons (Post/Preview/etc) seems rather large, as does the the font size used when composing replies to posts. This is in Firefox on OS X, in case that's useful.

- +1 for the floating menu bar and on-click instead of on-hover. :yes:

Thanks - the forum setting of ISO-8859-1 was being overridden before by hard-coded tags specifying UTF-8, and in my recent updates, I removed the hard-coded stuff. I've fixed this by changing the forum setting itself to UTF-8.

Button & text sizes are all micro, but I may get to them this weekend, we'll see. Added to my list.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Screenshot attached.  IE9, Windows 7.  Zoom 100%.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
IE9? Oh gawd... :p

Ok, I'm able to reproduce the issue at least. I'll see what I can do.

*grumble grumble Microsoftgrumble*
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ok, found the problem. It happens whenever someone includes a smiley in the bottom line of their post, apparently because the padding of posts is only 0.1em on the bottoms. I've increased that to 0.25em, which appears to solve the problem for me.

Although I haven't tried with this smiley yet...  :jaw:

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ok, that looks fine here. I'm off to bed. Cy'all! :D

EDIT: Oh yeah, one more thing - the top navbar should collapse down to a single button when the screen width is in the tablet & phone range. This also affects it's positioning... even if you have it set to always show at the top of the browser, it will scroll along with the page in mobile mode, to optimize screen real-estate.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Yep, works here too.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
cool liking a lot, one request though, is any chance of having a hover delay/time setting for the menu trigger? I would like to have a 1 or 2 second delay between mouse over and the menu triggering to minimise unwanted activation

in fact, you should just use .tbls, .tbms, and launcher flags so that everyone can customize everything.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

I considered that, but decided against it unless I hear an uproar from people. The limited width is definitely not "narrow" - matter of fact, it's far wider than most sites, at 1170px. For comparison, most frameworks stop at around 960px. :p Regardless, we can replace the current news announcement with one stating that people should go set their defaults. :)

Pbhh.  I was all ready to raise an uproar until I got to the post that mentioned the ability to change the setting. :p  And you're focusing on the wrong part of my comment -- it doesn't matter how "narrow" the fixed-width font is; the issue is the visual confusion it causes.  Since part of the interface takes up the full width but the posts take up only part of the width, people are going to think there's something wrong with the layout.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft

in fact, you should just use .tbls, .tbms, and launcher flags so that everyone can customize everything.

hlpforums.tbl? :P

OT though, great job, Sandwich and others. I am liking the new look for the most part, and everything I don't like seems to be on the to-do list already.

In this case, I am inclined to agree with Goober's point about setting full-width to default though. Just my two cents.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The alternative would be narrowing the top and bottom banners (but not necessarily the HLP Network toolbar) to be the same fixed width as the posts, but I'm assuming that's harder.

But then if the whole site is narrow, you'd just end up with blank space to the left and right, which might be similarly off-putting. :doubt:  Not sure how to solve that.  FSPort solves it by using a background image, and news sites solve it by using big ugly sidebars, but I don't think either approach is applicable here.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I am now officially happy. Personal customization is always the best way to keep everyone happy.

Regardless, we can replace the current news announcement with one stating that people should go set their defaults. :)
Definitely. I don't expect 90% of HLP to even read this thread ever.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
I am now officially happy. Personal customization is always the best way to keep everyone happy.

Regardless, we can replace the current news announcement with one stating that people should go set their defaults. :)
Definitely. I don't expect 90% of HLP to even read this thread ever.
We are the 10%
 :nervous:
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Luis Dias

One small improvement that would be ubber mega amazing would be to add the "Show unread posts since last visit." and the "Show new replies to your posts." links in the fixed navbar.

And perhaps drop the "."s. (silly detail yeah)

Navigating HLP is much better now with the navbar, but with those additions, man. Please?