Author Topic: New theme issues  (Read 242683 times)

Offline Yarn

It was very small before... how's this?
I like it. It sucks when this feature requires sharpshooter precision, which is the case with many sites.

I think the text found in text boxes should be made brighter.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
the next/prev buttons are fine for me now
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm not sure exactly what happened to the old jump-to-next-thread prev/next buttons, but I'd like to grovel at the feet of Sandwich for implementing them for moving between pages within a thread, which makes infinitely more sense. :yes:

I'm not sure exactly what happened to the old jump-to-next-thread prev/next buttons, but I'd like to grovel at the feet of Sandwich for implementing them for moving between pages within a thread, which makes infinitely more sense. :yes:

Seconded :yes:

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Also, can we get some other color scheme for the "jump to" dropdown list other than white on gray?
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Wat. White on grey fits in the site's them already. You want everything to be red?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
If anything looks out of place on this site, it's the blue "News" bar. And everything that makes HLP look like it was made for browsing it on a phone.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I actually like the blue news bar.  I just wish we could have a theme colored for it to match instead of really stand out, though.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
One thing that has me puzzled about the news bar is that it shows something different depending on where you are.  The main index and Announcements board show the link about the outage, while everywhere else that I can see mentions the forum reorganization.

Oh hey, now I see those next-thread arrows; I don't think I'd moved my cursor over to the sides before now.  And the thread page numbers seem to have gone all seeing-eye on us. :p
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 10:51:39 am by Mongoose »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
YES.  The breadcrumbs are now left-justified!

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
so.... this is weird.  my layout is schizophrenic.  sometimes the news bar is big and blue, sometimes it is centered and the same color theme as the rest of the forum.  sometimes the page number links are gigantic and sometimes they are normal size.  some other text seems to be morphing size on its own also, like the compose box, but not nearly as drastic as the pages.

also having in-text ads pop up, but i'm pretty sure that's a problem with my browser and not the site.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I'd already thought of having the pop-out Next/Prev buttons be for jumping between thread pages rather than between entire threads, but unfortunately SMF is a bit retarded with regards to the Next/Prev Page links. I had to hack the functionality in, and I'm not sure I can implement the same hack in a template file (the code that generates the page numbers is found in core files; the code to generate the side pop-out buttons is in templates).

I'll give it a try though... prepare for possible weirdness to commence... :p

EDIT: It's beyond me. Sorry folks. If another admin wants to have a try, go right ahead.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 03:08:20 pm by Sandwich »
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

so.... this is weird.  my layout is schizophrenic.  sometimes the news bar is big and blue, sometimes it is centered and the same color theme as the rest of the forum.  sometimes the page number links are gigantic and sometimes they are normal size.  some other text seems to be morphing size on its own also, like the compose box, but not nearly as drastic as the pages.

Same here. I suspect it's more of a browser-cache-clearing thing than a forum thing.
In case it's not though, please reduce the size of page links down from super-huge.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Same here. I suspect it's more of a browser-cache-clearing thing than a forum thing.
In case it's not though, please reduce the size of page links down from super-huge.

Here's the size it should be:

SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I guess it's the "super-huge" he's asking to change back from. I second that, I hate the new look. This whole site became frustrating to look at.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I guess it's the "super-huge" he's asking to change back from. I second that, I hate the new look. This whole site became frustrating to look at.

I think you've made your point abundantly clear by now. You can probably stop trying to hammer it home. The site's look does not revolve around you, and you'll need to learn to live with that. I, for one, don't mind the new look. Or the new layout. It'll take some getting use to, but I'll manage just fine. At least our site doesn't look like it was made in the 90s anymore.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
you say that like it's a bad thing :P
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
At least our site doesn't look like it was made in the 90s anymore.
Exactly my problem with it. It looks like it was made in 2012, with phone browsers and their dinky screens in mind. I want a PC version with layout and style like it used to be before all those changes (like the one on the "main" homepage).

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
this is how it looks on my 1280x1024 I see no issue with the look or the layout except for the blue news bar

[attachment deleted by a basterd]
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
At least our site doesn't look like it was made in the 90s anymore.
Exactly my problem with it. It looks like it was made in 2012, with phone browsers and their dinky screens in mind.

You know you can turn off the fixed width, right?  The size of your screen versus the site itself should be causing exactly zero issues.