Author Topic: Subspace tunnel effect - NEW VERSION - Release  (Read 25027 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: Subspace tunnel effect - Release
this release wasn't meant to be something final, I tested it out and thought it looked cool enough to release it so people know stuff like this are possible.
now that we have some more advanced shaders, its indeed possible to get the same effect/feel using shaders alone, this is why for now I won't be releasing a newer more efficient effect.
I know 300 frames at 1024x1024 rez at 150mb is really bad, but as I said, this is a proof of concept and wasn't made for use in anything else apart from testing, and whoever does decide to use this, its very easy to cut the frame count and resolution by half, I'm sure it will still look good then...
I know im slightly late replying to this but...
I uh, don't think shaders will do what you think they will do  :p

I really like this tunnel effect but (as with the majority of your effects) its badly optimized, so I'm kinda hesitating if I actually want to use it at this point. Seeing as its a few months later and you flat out said that you aren't interested in doing anything else with this effect, I probably wont...
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Nighteyes

Re: Subspace tunnel effect - Release
thing is, apart that I'm really busy in RL atm, I've spoke with Valathil about this effect, and it is indeed possible to simple move a tiling map along a UV space direction, creating the movement feel with only 1 single texture... if its a long texture(1024x4096) the tiling wont be noticeable and we will be able to have greater detail with less performance strain.

if you want to use this effect as is, I would suggest cutting the framerate by half as well as the resolution by half.

Offline Nighteyes

Re: Subspace tunnel effect - NEW VERSION - Release
a new, more optimized version is up, all issues fixed, main thread updated

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
 :cool: :nod: :D :pimp:
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Amazing work!

The only drawback is that some of the lines from the geometry seem to pop up to existence (it's very VERY subtle) when a white/clear portion of the texture is rendered on top.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Nighteyes

ahh I thought I saw something like that... I think it might be the pof model, something to do with the UV's or smoothing? might need to re-export them.
the textures themselves tile perfectly this time, so its not a texture thing

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Sweet, gonna check this out asap.
Thanks for the heads up!
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Yes, It's definitely something related to the model. The smoothing thing is the first thing that came to my mind, I actually opened the model on PCS2 to check it out and tried to export it to some blender format to check, I didn't get that far I must say.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Nighteyes

anyone tested this out? I would like feedback and to know if I can call it "final"

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
anyone tested this out? I would like feedback and to know if I can call it "final"
Works perfectly and smooth. Good job. :yes:
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Two things
First, as Rodo already pointed out, there are a few visible lines from the mesh which rotate around.

Second, Compared to the old version it feels like the new version is 'smaller'. I think this is because the old version had smaller white parts on the exits, making it seem like the exit was farther in the distance (compare above pic with the picture in the opening post: http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/998/screen1745.jpg). I personally prefer the feel of the old version here. I also like the old, more saturated light blue noise more than the new, more subdued purplish color.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Nighteyes

well I don't know what to do about those lines, is there an option to disable the model rotation and the movement of these seams? I think it might fix this problem
regarding the bright light at the end of the tunnel, the size of these is determined by the size of the glow points in subspace_big.pof, but for some reason when I tried to make them smaller I didn't notice a difference in-game...
as for the coloring, nothing has been changed from the original files, so check your post processing settings it might be because of that :)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
That's because the glowpoints do nothing. The subspace models in the mediavp's don't have them, and if you remove them the light is still there.

Are you absolutely positive that you were using the same effects in that screenshot in the opening post? Cause a bit of bloom doesn't change blue to purple  :p
I tried a few things but am unable to fix that visible seam either, anyone else wanna take a shot at it?
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Nighteyes

its strange as I remember I put those glow points in especially so I can control that white light, its also very strange thats they don't show up in-game...
I'm 100% sure no color change was made, all I did was reduce the total frame count and fix the tiling errors :P

I looks really cool. Just a quick question: Qhich mod uses it? I currently have only Shrouding the Light, Derelict and Blue Planet installed as far as custom campaigns are concerned. Any of those could use your subspace tunnel?
GODzilla™

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
They can all use it, just put it in your mediavps folder.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Ehrm...what I meant is do they MAKE use of it. As in: Is there a mission with a mid-mission subspace jump? ^^
GODzilla™

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
War in Heaven does, and I know in Derelict there's a subspace mission.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Thanks.

BTW: It just dawned to me that there is another campaign that uses subspace. It's a rather unknown one...named Freespace 1 The Great War. XD I guess that uses the new effect, too, doesn't it?

Too bad I already beat FSPort 3.3, but that means I can test the new effect instantly by replaying that mission.  :yes:
GODzilla™

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
none of those campaigns use it AFAIK.
In order to use it you'll have to rename the .pof file to the same name the subspace effect model on the MVP's has, this way it will override the original, then you'll have to place the files on the corresponding folders in the media_vps folder.
el hombre vicio...