Author Topic: Cover design  (Read 2999 times)

While doing the bachelor's end thesis, students of my faculty (Aerospace) each year get the opportunity to show off their design on the cover of the aerospace student society's magazine. Since I'm currently doing the end thesis (designing an airport), I can submit a cover visual as well. Here's a mock-up of what it'd look like. I won't do textures (no time), and of course the final design will get rendered at higher quality - but apart from that I'd like to hear your comments, opinions and suggestions for improvement :)

(No lvlshot since it stretches the image)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
A lens flare or two couldn't hurt.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Get a non-stretchy tree texture. Where are you getting your aircraft models from, by the way?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Good, non-****ty font and a fairly clean design. I approve.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Cars, traffic? No airport is ever that clean....

You don't actually have a terminal... just a warehouse dock of sorts with planes attached.

It's fine as a base design, just seems very sterile and sort of Sims Airport like is my point.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
A lens flare or two couldn't hurt.
No.
Cars, traffic? No airport is ever that clean....
No.
It's fine as a base design, just seems very sterile and sort of Sims Airport like is my point.
No.

Ignore these comments; it's a mock-up of an airport design, it's not supposed to look like a Crysis map. I like the clean look, it brings out the actual design rather than focusing on the trivial stuff.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I agree with S. Hunter

Lens flare - they require a light source in or just next to the image frame, which would be about where the title goes (the title location is fixed). I had one at some point, but removed it.
Tree texture - good one, I'll tile it up some more.
Aircraft models - mostly from here, though the one in the foreground I made myself.
Cars, traffic - there's little time, this's got to be in by the 22nd at the latest. And yeah, what Shivan Hunter said, it's not supposed to look like an actual picture, but rather showing off the design.
Terminal - it's actually underneath the piers (yes, underground), which is why you're not seeing it.

Offline Veers

Was about to say it has to be underground.

I would love to see this as a functioning airport. :)
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Just to be clear I was being facetious about the lens flare. :P

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Personally, I don't like the font - it just doesn't fit the idea of an airport. If you've any time left, look at some sans fonts like Gill Sans or even Trade Gothic (though I'd not recommend Light weights, those are oo thin. Regular and slight Bolding are a better fit and easier to see).
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I personally do like the font. It's very professional looking. I would, however, suggest that you increase the opacity of the band that the text goes on, enabling the viewer to see a greater amount of the transition between the low horizon line and the upper atmosphere. It will also potentially make the band just a tad bit lighter, making the white font "pop" a bit more.

As far as the model goes, make sure your treeline isn't too close to the taxiway - the reasons for such are obvious. Also make sure that the treeline just doesn't stop without reason at the far corner of the model. You'll also need to figure out what to do at the very bottom of the image - it's kind of naked there.

As a technical question, where are your terminal support facilities to be located, such as fuel, service, and airport fire department to be located? What about aircraft storage and maintenance? I realize you're probably designing the field such that the storage facilities are away from the main terminal, but how easily/efficiently does the design allow aircraft to get to boarding facilities, etc?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Ehh, just for clarity -- I'm only doing the picture, the rest of it is standard. I only put the title in 'cause else the composition is screwy.
Ah well, sent it in today, hoping it gets chosen now :)

Fuel, fire department, MRO and cargo are located out of the picture, away from the passenger section. There's service roads under the piers (look closely and you can see they're T-shaped).
Since one picture is wirth a thousand words: here's an overview of the entire airport. The big building in the front is cargo, the small one in the back is MRO. And yes, we have a lot of runways. That's because we have a lot of traffic :P