Author Topic: OmniTech: Work-N-Progress  (Read 18290 times)

OmniTech: Work-N-Progress
Just letting those who follow the project, there is about to be a huge explosion of stuff being done behind the scenes. The team has gained some members with great experiences in all aspects of a MOD team. You should expect some cool stuff in the very near future, and I am sure that between now and then some screenshots, renders etc...

A little about myself, my name is Phil. I got into 3d modeling less than a year ago, via my alpha testing for the Mechwarrior: Living Legends team. With my direct connection to those talented guys I started modeling. Leaps and bounds better than when I started, my recent contribution to the Mod was showcased Wed. during the live NGNG Podcast #15: www.nogutsnogalaxy.net

Here is the Stormcrow/Ryoken at MW:LL: http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/2012-02/mechwarrior-living-legends-media-release-clan-ryokenstormcrow-medium-mech/

Also announced was the Black Lanner by Vlaad, he is an awesome artist and helped guide me along what I have done so far, located here: http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/2012-02/mechwarrior-living-legends-media-release-clan-black-lanner-medium-mech/

Anyway, I've followed this project for some time. Now with my knowledge and experience I felt confident I could help being a positive contribution to this mod team. We have already begun the process of getting this Mod team moving in a more efficient manner, stay tuned for future information!

Offline Ma.Din

Re: OmniTech: Work-N-Progress

Hi, everyone! I'm Ma Din. I've worked as a colorist in the comics industry, a storyboard, concept artist, modeler, rigger and animator in the game industry. I have been a 3D artist since 2005. Currently, I am building a high-poly character animation reel for the film industry.

I just thought I'd post you a little tease of what you should be expecting. Bear in mind that this is still in the design phase (it's mapped, just needs textures), so it's subject to change. Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers!

-M

"Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation." - Bruce Lee

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Nice! Looks like the Catapult from MechWarrior Online. Is that where you got your inspiration?

Offline Ma.Din

Nice! Looks like the Catapult from MechWarrior Online. Is that where you got your inspiration?

The model was based of an ortho of the MWO Catapult.  :nod:

While talking to a group about the project, I shared this picture to help demonstrate the difference in vanilla(stock) assets that are mostly still in game and what will be replacing them. The Rifleman is not 100% completed, but will be very soon:

Offline cowboy

I don't have anything more to offer than testing- I have no applicable code or modeling experience. That said, I'm enthusiastic about the efforts being undertaken to improve the game!

Any chance that future models could try to go more towards old school 3025 era tech and modeling?

Like, for example, that Rifleman looks terrific!

Offline Zarax

Carver V campaign is set in early/mid 3060, however we do have other campaigns planned.
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Ma.Din

Any chance that future models could try to go more towards old school 3025 era tech and modeling?

I had planned on doing all the mechs from the first few technical readouts, as models, since I wanted to do some campaigns before the 4th Succession War. Whether or not I actually do this now, however, is highly unlikely......

Offline cowboy

Awesome! If there's anything I can do w/regards to testing let me know

Hi! First post here..
Wanting to say that this project is really awesome!!
For all of us with a passion for the mechcommander games, this is a dream come true! =)

Just you wait, normally I would say there is a rock rolling forward... no, its a boulder, be prepared for a complete face-lift, though it will take time!

Offline cowboy

Any news?

Offline Ma.Din

Um, I'll talk to the guys and see if I can post some pics of the new terrain textures I've been painting.

This is a shot of all the new grass overlays, well 9 of 10 and one of the new water textures. Also, you can see 3 of the new cement textures, though it's hard to see the detail in this image. These will be in the next release. Unfortunately, we don't have a release date and I'm not one for making promises I can't keep, so quoth 3D realms "when it's done."

I will tell you this much, however. Currently, I have around 50 or 60 new overlays and about 10 new water tiles. The new overlays, so far, consist of sand, mud, grass, plains, tundra and snow. The water tiles will also have frozen oceans.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 05:21:46 pm by Ma.Din »

Offline cowboy

Great work, nice transparency settings on the water.

Hopefully that's the only thing you're doing like 3D Realms, because DN:F sucked donkey parts.

Offline Ma.Din

Great work, nice transparency settings on the water.

Transparency is controlled by the engine, not by textures.

Hopefully that's the only thing you're doing like 3D Realms, because DN:F sucked donkey parts.

The only reason Duke Nukem Forever "sucked" is 'cos George Broussard is a control freak douchebag, who couldn't just release the game, a decade ago, when it was supposed to be released, instead of adding sh!t that wasn't needed, such as snow effects, when the frakking game took place in Nevada....... Duke Nukem is an *EXCELLENT* game, just a decade late. A lot of the humor now, is completely lost. Hopefully Gear Box won't drop the ball on the next one, considering the founders of Gear Box were once 3D Realms developers.

Offline Wilmet

Looking good, it's great that you are also working on the environment, it really needs an update  :D
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"

Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Offline Ma.Din

It's actually the first thing that needs to be done. The original work on the environment was awful. Actually, after looking at the art in the source, *ALL* of the original art was pretty awful. :lol:

Offline Ma.Din

While working with the new, internal release, I showed this to the guys and they said I should give you a sneak peek, so here you go:

Now, this is just a build test, but it will give you an idea of what you should be expecting "when it's done".  :D

Offline Karl

Since we are in a sharing mood maybe you all would like to have a look at this too

« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 01:25:14 pm by Karl »

@Ma.Din: Some nice progress you have here, thanks for sharing :).

@Karl: It was wondering when it would show up :P
I don't know if that's the case tabletop side, but I always felt the Mad Cat/Timber Wolf was one of the most iconic mech featured in the MechWarrior games. There is just something people like with that mech.