Author Topic: HUD Scripting  (Read 10397 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
put it this way. lua on a 3ghz machine will probibly run faster than asm on a 20mhz mcu. and barring transmission of actual video, most of the data will be low throughput anyway. also youre coind of constricted by communication speed. i really dont think it will be an issue.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 07:40:20 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
if you cant write the native code patches that dont interfere with what the rest of FSO does, dont reccomend "native code" blah blah, k?

Ouch!

I believe I could write code that doesn't interfere. Why would you immediately assume I could not?  I promise not to force you to use my changes.

Actually, why would it matter if I recommend a different way of doing things?  I guess I am in the wrong forum. Is "native  code" a bad word in the scripting section? :)

This is the reason I would like to move the thread out of this section.

lets just put it this way, a lot of people here love to do backseat coding, reccomending various ways how to do ****, without actually providing any proof of such, so, when someone reccomends native code, a lot of folks here have a spaz attack.

also, scripting is better in a way as it allows us not too experienced coders to faff around without a worry that we'll **** something up monumentally in regards to other mods and such.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline ABetterWay

• ???
lets just put it this way, a lot of people here love to do backseat coding, reccomending various ways how to do ****, without actually providing any proof of such, so, when someone reccomends native code, a lot of folks here have a spaz attack.

also, scripting is better in a way as it allows us not too experienced coders to faff around without a worry that we'll **** something up monumentally in regards to other mods and such.

I am new around here so I understand what you are saying to some degree, you just aren't very friendly.  Just ignore the "backseat" coders if it ruffles your feathers so much.  If I want to make changes and play with the source, I think you should be happy to let me. I wouldn't expect my changes to make it into the official build if they weren't up to snuff.  I wouldn't want your scripts in there either if they didn't work well. I'm not saying you are a bad scripter, I don't know anything about you.  I would appreciate the same respect.  If I break your game, then you can act this way towards me all you want.

In the end we were just having a conversation about extracting HUD information.  If we can extract the radar and communication visuals via a script and its fast enough, then we can go that direction.  All I was saying was that accessing that data would probably be faster in C++ than lua.  I was just speaking from 15+ years of development experience. Its a fact of life, interpreted code is not as fast as native code. There is no way script is going to run faster than the C++, but to Nukes comments above. I agree, its very possible it is fast enough.  If so then that's fantastic.  It will be a much easier task.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
backseat coding doesnt bother me. if people want to discuss ideas about features, or better yet give me or other programmers ideas about features, or a method for solving a problem, then thats fine with me. someone may have a good understanding behind the theory of something but not be very good coders. now if people start demanding features and say **** like 'YOU MOST MAKE UPDATE!!', then you got to draw a line. so long as its productive and stirs up good discussion, im all for it.

should point out that this topic in particular is going to bring in hardware people and their perspectives as well. a lot of these people know how to program, but for mcus, not game engines. so there is going to be a little bit of misunderstanding in there.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 05:03:38 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN