Author Topic: So, not sure if this has been discussed...  (Read 20446 times)

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Re: So, not sure if this has been discussed...
The issue is that most people have an inflated sense of their own competency when it comes to computers. Install instructions, no matter how clearly written, are routinely ignored. People who would be better off using automated installers will go and try manual installs "because that can't be hard, right?".

By issuing "pro" packages for advanced users, we just invite people to **** up their installs. That is a bad idea.

Hmm... How about password protecting the link to the pr0-only install?  ;7  The password being the answer to a question only pr0s on HLP would know? Like for example; "Why do we blame Axem for everything?" or "What is the best way to make The E come to your house and hit you with a base-ball bat?" or better still "Why does the retail Hecate suck?" ;7 :cool:
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline gloowa

Hmm... How about password protecting the link to the pr0-only install?  ;7  The password being the answer to a question only pr0s on HLP would know? Like for example; "Why do we blame Axem for everything?" or "What is the best way to make The E come to your house and hit you with a base-ball bat?" or better still "Why does the retail Hecate suck?" ;7 :cool:
o_0

I just been downgraded to HLP_newb.v_0_1. It seems > 4 years of (very infrequent mind you) reading HPL forums does not give enough insight to answer those :P

"What is the best way to make The E come to your house and hit you with a base-ball bat?"
hmmm... place all vps to root FS2 folder and than come crying to the forums about SCP being #@%$#@% that won't work?  ;7
Adm. Petrarch: For your excellent record of confirmed kills, you reached status of Ace.
Laporte: Dude, WTH are you doing in Indus briefing room?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The issue is that most people have an inflated sense of their own competency when it comes to computers. Install instructions, no matter how clearly written, are routinely ignored. People who would be better off using automated installers will go and try manual installs "because that can't be hard, right?".

By issuing "pro" packages for advanced users, we just invite people to **** up their installs. That is a bad idea.

For your health, I am going to assume this was more in jest than serious. In any case, it does not solve the root problem (inflated sense of competence). The thing is that by the time you're actually able to do a manual install, you should have the know-how to see why manual installs are a bad idea.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline gloowa

The thing is that by the time you're actually able to do a manual install, you should have the know-how to see why manual installs are a bad idea.
True enough.

On that topic, is the online installer project updated? Because the frontpage still lives in 3.6.10 era my work includes Java programming, and if installer is outdated, perhaps i could do something useful for the community?
Adm. Petrarch: For your excellent record of confirmed kills, you reached status of Ace.
Laporte: Dude, WTH are you doing in Indus briefing room?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
If you want to help, the person to contact is Goober5000. I'm sure he could use a talented hand.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras