Author Topic: Feature Request: AWACS Designation  (Read 3286 times)

Feature Request: AWACS Designation
I've been converting ships for a WiH mod for SS and I've run into a little issue with the Oculus. I tried all the available ship designations and the only one that exhibits close to the correct behavior is carrier. With all the others, even freighter and courier, the Oculus charges in and get destroyed really quick. Set as a carrier it hangs back and does it's job, but it's a little ridiculous to call this 200 meter ship a carrier.

What I'm looking for is a AWACS designation that behaves like a carrier. Even better would be a ship that would stay just inside of max range of it's ECM weapons. If it's within your powers to do so, that would be really cool, but really just the AWACS is what I need.

Here's a vid of it in action. I shot it from the target's perspective so it's easier to see the Oculus's effect on the Chimera's guns, sensors, and computer.

Oculus Combat Test
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Re: Feature Request: AWACS Designation

Oculus Combat Test
"This video is private." if you're looking for link only sharing, unlisted is what you're looking for.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Whoops, sorry about that. Fixed.

Offline braddw25

I remember someone back at SSmods devised a way to add additional ship classes to the game. I can't for the life of me remember how it was done. I will look through the mod files I have saved from the old site and see if I can find the files needed to do this. I do not believe that the source code had to be changed in order to get new classes. I think it was done through normal modding but I could be mistaken.  I will get back to you on this one.

Yeah, I remember that too, but I could have sworn that it was after the source code was released and that it had to be changed code side. Thanks for looking through your files.

Theres a SWACS class not being used at all defined in the code. I bet it was supposed to be an "space awacs". I cant see any AI code for it though.
Just make the octopus SWACS class and watch what  it does  :p   And leave the "command AI" checked in the editor just to be sure.

That was one of the first things I tried. When I saw it I thought "Great, the engine already has a AWACS.", but no. The ship just sits there and doesn't move.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, that's because the SWACS class was coded in such a way as to be identical to the common mine. That has been changed; however I would appreciate it if you could test this change on your end.

http://blueplanet.fsmods.net/E/Starshatter%205.1.87EX.7z
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Thanks for the fast response, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working. SWACS is no longer available under ship class in the mission editor.

Offline braddw25

Rscaper,

I believe that you are exactly right. That addition was after the code was released. Sorry for my mistake. I think that those changes to the code were done by a member named Derrick whom I have not yet been able to contact. HOpefully he will find his way here. His coding skills would be a great help with this project.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Thanks for the fast response, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working. SWACS is no longer available under ship class in the mission editor.

Please try this build. Do note that the SWACS entry is moved to be below the Carrier entry.
http://blueplanet.fsmods.net/E/Starshatter%205.1.88EX.7z
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Ok, SWACS is available again, but it's also behaving the same again. The ship is rooted to the same spot.