Author Topic: WiH Starshatter  (Read 4269 times)

I've been thinking it's about time I posted some sort of WIP thread concerning my WiH conversion for SS. Right now I'm going through and testing everything I've converted thus far. For the most part I'm waiting on the new Mvps and other upgraded assets. I'll probably be releasing what I have so far fairly soon so others that are interested can play around with it. If I wait until I have everything set up as a dynamic campaign I think we'll all be old and grey. So I'll put together a few missions throw it out there. This will let others test out the game and maybe come up with ideas on how to improve the engine.

Here's a couple of vids of "The Battle of Neptune" I've been working on. Each time I've run the mission different stuff happens, this video turned out to be the shortest and so the easiest to get on YT. The second vid is the Karuna recovering fighters which didn't happen in the first vid so I wanted to show it off.

Battle of Neptune (or "You Don't Mess with the Zhuan")

Fighter Recovery

I've made a list of some of the things I'd like to see with the SCP. I think most of them would increase the general gameplay value of SS as a whole. I don't expect anything on this list to be done anytime soon, and somethings might not be possible, it's just a list of ideas. I'll add to the list as I think up more.

- Primary Weapon Loadouts: This is a big one. Being able to switch between primary weapons in a fighter would be a huge win.

- Targeting Bombs: It's possible to shoot down bombs, and I've seen the ai fighters shooting down Apocalypse Torpedoes, it's just not possible to target them. This makes it close to impossible for the player.

- Dockpoints: Self explanatory. Would be very useful for rearm/repair and SAR.

- Ammo Count in Ship Def: Being able to define the ammo count on the hardpoint in the ship's def would solve a lot of headaches. Right now to get the ammo counts right for each ship I have to have a whole weapon def just for the ammo count.

- Expand Galaxy: I've discussed this in another thread but I'd like to reiterate it here. Not sure if this is possible but I think it would be useful to have another level to the galaxy. Right now you have Galaxy.def/System.def. Inside the System.def you have room for just ten regions. What would be better would be Galaxy.def/Solar System.def/System.def. Where Solar System.def defines the planets for the map screen and then a System.def for each planet in that solar system. This would open up the system so you could have plenty of regions for planets, moons, atmo areas, etc.

- Launch Events Flag: Right now if a ship has fighters in the hanger she'll launch them. A way to hold the fighters and then launch them later after some event happens would be great. Similar to how hold and jump works I guess.

- Jump to Coordinates: Adding specific coordinates to a Jump's parameter field.

- Lunar Missions: Is there a way to remove the atmosphere physics so that you can have an atmo mission on the moon? I started to make a Lunar mission but gave up because the physics just ruined the feel of it.

- Subspace Warp: Of course. Probably pie in the sky daydreaming, but what the hell.

This will be my ideas and WIP post and I'll reserve the next for releases which shouldn't be to far away.
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Reserved.
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Sir, that is awesome.

:D
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Maybe try to not use the term "SCP" when talking about SSO as it is going to confuse the hell out of FS players ?

People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
SS:SCP?  :lol:

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
I lust love how there are so many WiH mods for all kinda games when WiH ain't finished yet xD
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
SS:SCP?  :lol:
What about simply the name of the board ? Starshatter Open Source Project, aka SOSP ?

Might be worth creating a whole new thread just to decide on that actually. Just so we stop hijacking rscaper1070's thread.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Echelon9

Nice to see!

Thats some lovely ships in there  :nod:    looking forward to try the demo soon.

As for the list of things,

- you may find a workaround messing with guns as a loadout for hardpoints, or installing them as turrets or maybe something else. Theres a key to cycle primary/secondary/turrets also.
- "bombs" needs to be drone class. Drones can be targeted by player, default shift+(normal targeting keys). Missile class cant be targeted by player or AI.
- dockpoints SAR rearm etc.  would be cool, but no clue how much effort would take.
- jump to coordinates is  quickly missed from other games, and would be very useful here.

not yet sure about the others right know.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Noobish question... so capitol ship torpedoes are drones, then?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Yes.  Only missiles/rockets have a smoke trail, any other warhead you see flying out there is a drone.

Offline braddw25

Very nice work. Cool ships!! Can't wait to try this one out. Thanks for posting it.

Offline Echelon9

Not to bug, having just come out of the Diaspora R1 crunch, but how's this going rscaper1070?

I'm trying to spend a bit more time looking at coding for Starshatter, and I believe having some new content (a la this WiH stuff) would help bring in interest. Which of your coding requests should I prioritise with limited time?