Author Topic: WIP GVEP Ra  (Read 4920 times)

Offline Doko

htl-ra-wip (View in 3D)

The model is pretty much what you see in the retail texture. It has a very distinctive silhoutte so not a lot of changes to the surface. Added a little bit more detail on the thruster but nothing major and changed the angle on one of the side plates to better match the flow.

Would like some more feedback before I continue with rigging and lods.

Thanks to #scp-fsu for their feedback and guidance.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Looks good so far, but one pre-emptive request: model the Moon. :D

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Get out. We have too much of one Dekker.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
Looks good so far, aaand...
Lets get Dekker in here so we may have a DOUBLE DEKKER! And fly away never to return.
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Looks good so far, but one pre-emptive request: model the Moon. :D
Dammit you beat me to it! The Moon is a piece of classic FS history, it definitely needs to be kept - and since we don't texture windows that way anymore, modelling it seems like the only option... :D

Offline Kolgena

Get out. We have too much of one Dekker.

i so confuzd :confused:

Offline Luis Dias

Nice, however I'm still somewhat puzzled by the need of polygonizing what just a competent set of normal mapping could do, specially if those lines are never important to the outline of the ship...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm still puzzled by the need people have to be stingy with polygons on small space craft when we already have 17k bombers and 8k sentries...

Normal maps are great.. but if you have the poly budget, actual polies are better.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Luis Dias

It was a general comment, but you're right. We do have the budget.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Also, normal maps have a definite failure in presenting detail in profile or in close proximity, so when and where possible, the details really should be present.

(By profile, look at the "backbone" or top "crest" of this Ra from the side. You'd have no actual bevels there, but when viewed just right, your brain would try to tell you that you did. And that would suck.)
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Do you plan on incorporating any visible internal cockpit to this model?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Doko

Do you plan on incorporating any visible internal cockpit to this model?

There's some things that need to be worked out, if its gonna have a cockpit the windows will need extra attention as well and there's 5 of them. I'm planing on finishing a basic UV layout, LoD's and hand off the model to someone with more experience to play around with cockpits and 3d windows if they so desire.

I started working on this to help FSU and practice my modeling, figured a vasudan escape pod that I've barely ever seen used would be the perfect ship to start. If It sucked... no harm done. It certainly served its purpose and seems to have been well recieved for the most part.

Offline Luis Dias

Also, normal maps have a definite failure in presenting detail in profile or in close proximity, so when and where possible, the details really should be present.

(By profile, look at the "backbone" or top "crest" of this Ra from the side. You'd have no actual bevels there, but when viewed just right, your brain would try to tell you that you did. And that would suck.)

You know, that's what I said. I said "when those lines aren't important to the OUTLINE of the ship". Perhaps it's a language thing. By outline I mean the profile. And what about my brain telling me that the crests exist? That's the purpose of the normal mapping, to tell you that the shape of the ship is not what the polygon bare representation would tell you, but something more complex. Anyways, I already agreed with the budget argument, it's undeniable.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
 VAss? Plz, no. Why not add your own easter egg, to keep things fresh?