Author Topic: Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries released  (Read 7095 times)

Re: Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries released
So this is on Xbox Game Pass now, so I took a deep breath, paid 1 euro to Microsoft, and installed it again, this time playing via co op.

I think the game still has major issues with how it represents challenge: It's more interested in feeding you cannon fodder rather then full-on equal-strength enemy lances. I've only had one major challenge thus far: A campaign mission that has me blowing up a refinery eventually ended with fighting two enemy lances in sequence. That was good, that is the 'mech on 'mech combat that I want in this game. Feel free to have vehicles supporting the enemy 'Mechs whilst this happens, but ... I've only once had a situation where the game felt confident enough to throw an opponent of equal strength at me.

The co op aspect of the game is very good, which I suppose shouldn't surprise me considering these folks made a multiplayer game for years: Other players can drop in and drop out at any time, taking the role of an AI pilot. Giving them the option to mess around in the 'Mech bay is pretty good too. It atleast made the early game slog a lot more bearable.

Doesn't make up for the terrible intro, which you can't co op in.

Also why can't the AI use Jump Jets? Why do I need a mod for this (which the windows store version doesn't let me install)? It's been half a year since the game's release and--*
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 10:23:17 am by -Joshua- »

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
I'm just wondering if and when MW5 will be available on GoG or Steam...probably gonna be at least another year, I think (but what do I know?).
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

*BZzzssshhhttt---* --- *Screen flickers on*

It's been a year! The game has now had a steam and GOG release, a decently sized patch, and a DLC! And, because I am an absolute sucker, I bought the whole pack!

So, the issues remain: It's still a game that has a mediocre story that relies quite a bit on padding and fluff. The game still has some development issues, like how the hyped infantry is *still* not in, becuase they found it hard to tune right. On the other hand, the padding is significantly better tuned now. The awful tutorial can finally be skipped, and it's replaced with an intro movie that is at least a decent watch. The randomly generated missions are a lot more eager to throw heavy stuff at me, and I'm facing medium 'mechs immeadiately (which in itself helps pacing considerably, becuase I can now try and salvage them and upgrade my lance quicker). The soundtrack has been expanded considerably too.

My chief annoyance, which is HUD distortion also distorting the subtitles, has been fixed too. I'm not sure who thought that was a good idea, but they have repented!

It feels less monotone and less dumb. That shifts it for me from a mediocre mech game to a decent mech game, but it still can't hold a candle to Mechwarrior 4, or Brigador, Battletech and Titanfall.

It now has cross-platform co op, and non-dlc owners can join hosts that have the DLC just fine. Co-op stomping, co-op mech tuning and co-op mech painting is in itself a lot of fun and it's nice to have a game that now features that. It, imo, no longer needs mods to be fun, which is not a high bar to clear, but still.

Oh and it now has a career mode that cuts out the story alltogether from what I can tell. Not sure if that's an improvement, but it atleast lets you play with all those mods without having to go through the (better polished now) intro missions again.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 04:03:17 am by -Joshua- »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Nearly every mod has been broken thanks to the patch, so all the little QoL stuff like having a HUD that doesn't suck ass and being able to modify a mech while in someone else's game break it as it loads. It's annoying as ****.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Nearly every mod has been broken thanks to the patch, so all the little QoL stuff like having a HUD that doesn't suck ass and being able to modify a mech while in someone else's game break it as it loads. It's annoying as ****.

Being able to modify a mech whilst in someone else's game is a vanilla feature and works just fine? I never got it to work *with* mods, although I was using the fancy Merctech.