Author Topic: Coronavirus Outbreak  (Read 134685 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
NY city (and state) going on lockdown. 4000 cases and rising, not just due to infections but because testing is ramping up.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
not staffing the cdc when people quit
disbanding *the entire pandemic team* after its leader quit
not staffing those gaps either

Already addressed that.

not having tests ready

Already addressed that too.

lying about how long the disease was in the country (US's first case was in january)

Trump said, "We got hit with the virus really three weeks ago, if you think about it, I guess. That's when we first started really to see some possible effects."  -- from the piece.  This is self-explanatory if you read the second half of his statement, right there,and stop being so pedantic.

claiming the disease was "under control" in february

In February, it did indeed look under control.  Again, the MSM was busy saying he was a racist for closing travel down, and Big Tech was busy suppressing anyone daring to talk about it.

not doing any testing to confirm this claim  You know, just about every point you make here you glibly throw in "and he didn't test to confirm it!" at the end.  I'm just saying.

purposefully leaving people to die in an effort to "not raise the numbers" on how many people were infected

Easily explainable if you don't think Trump is literally Hitler: he didn't want to double the number of infections from possible new exposures.  Yeah, I know, "REEEEE!" and all.

claiming the virus was contained

"I don't want to downplay anything," Kudlow said before effectively downplaying the true extent of the coronavirus and its momentum. "Worry about the effect on human beings, for heaven's sake. But I'm just saying, let's not overreact. In many ways, America should stay at work."

"We don't actually know what the magnitude of the virus is going to be, although frankly so far it looks relatively contained."
  --Kudlow, Feb 25th -- which, at that time (almost a month ago at this point), it did look relatively contained, and we were less than a month from all the cries of "muh racism" for Trump closing down travel from China on Jan 31st.

not doing any testing to confirm this claim

-already addressed test kits

saying that the coronavirus is "Like the flu"

-for at least 90%, it is - that number will likely increase with more testing showing more asymptomatic / mild symptomatic cases - really depends on underlying conditions and age (which are linked).

saying the virus will "Disappear like a miracle"

-You might want to ask China about that.  No new infections, right?  Right?  Although we should be cautious of a possible second wave.

not doing any testing to see if it's actually going away

More testing is going to increase the number of infected, not make it appear to be going away (at this point).  This seems to be more an issue of non-communication with outside (state / private) labs.  They should enforce a standard reporting procedure.

underplaying the amount of (known) infections by saying they were "lower then just about anybody"

not doing any testing to confirm this claim

--Fact check doesn't address how much testing was being done by countries with a total lower than the US but was quick to point out the US was doing less testing than countries with a higher total. 

Testing, again.

Having a 10 minute speech which turned out to be so wrong that various other departments had to correct it

--looks like a few misreads on the teleprompter if you ask me.  Congrats, I guess?

Focusing this speech on how you're preventing the disease from entering the country, completely ignoring that the disease literally already is in the country (since January!) and what you really need is more testing.

Funny enough, I think it's already been mentioned that he thought it serious enough to close off China travel, despite whatever he said to try to keep people from panicking.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It's crazy to watch people, in real time, turn into that character in disaster movies who cares more about some petty political/interpersonal bull**** than the Actual Disaster. I never believed in the military guys in The Stand who cared more about covering up the source of the virus than about stopping it, but it turns out they're a documentary!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Then again this forum has been full of climate change denialists for more than a decade so

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
-You might want to ask China about that.  No new infections, right?

As someone who has literally spent 2 months in my apartment in order to help control the virus, I find that claim pretty insulting.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 08:37:09 pm by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

While it is a good idea to avoid the spread of lies and misinformation, this is not how it should be done jr2.

I mean, it's not even like you've pointed out anything I didn't know. You're debunking claims no one on this thread has made. Who cares if the problem with the test kits was due to a manufacturing problem or not? A delay in testing is a still a delay. It's still going to cost lives. Why are you glossing over the fact that the German protocol for testing was released long before the American one? That even without the manufacturing error you are pointing out the US would still have been behind. Why are you ignoring that even once the manufacturing defect was cured that there still is a lack of testing going on in the USA? Why are you posting that the claim that Trump fired the pandemic team is debunked but ignoring the fact that many of them resigned and then Trump failed to hire new people to replace them? No pandemic team is no pandemic team. Why have you quoted that CDC funding was increased, but not quoted why!

You know, just about every point you make here you glibly throw in "and he didn't test to confirm it!" at the end.  I'm just saying.

Yup, becuase the utter lack of testing is the most important thing here. You can try to defend Trump's baseless claims about having contained the virus all you want (because this isn't about the truth at all for you isn't it? This is about you having an axe to grind against whoever Maddow is), but they remain baseless due to this lack of testing. What does "It looked contained" mean when the Trump administration wasn't even looking?

Easily explainable if you don't think Trump is literally Hitler: he didn't want to double the number of infections from possible new exposures.  Yeah, I know, "REEEEE!" and all.

Do you even read your own posts at this point.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 01:33:36 pm by -Joshua- »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
He means Rachel Maddow, an MSNBC host who often serves as a convenient scapegoat for where "dem lib'rals" get all their news.

And dear lord yes that statement about the cruise ship was absolute cringe.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
And the cringe continues

Reporter: What do you say to the americans out there who are scared?

Trumpet: I'll say to them that you're a terrible reporter
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter

He means Rachel Maddow, an MSNBC host who often serves as a convenient scapegoat for where "dem lib'rals" get all their news.

I presume it's just a coincidence that google tells me she's the first open lesbian news anchor?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Oh, a total coincidence.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/03/america-is-finally-testing-for-coronavirus-in-significant-volumes/

For a view of the testing that has a grounding in facts rather than propaganda.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
My father just emailed me and my sister this youtube vid titled Honest Government Ad | Coronavirus: Flatten The Curve. It's hilarious and educational! :lol: :cool: :D
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Dysko

This is what is happening ~20 km from where I live:
http://www.ansa.it/lombardia/notizie/2020/03/18/coronavirus-colonna-mezzi-militari-a-bergamo-con-feretri_3b4e3a18-8467-4185-ad72-2939cc607f66.html

In that photo (taken 3 days ago), an Italian Army truck convoy is transfering corpses from the cemetery of Bergamo (Lombardy's 4th largest city) to other cities because the local crematory is overwhelmed.
I used to travel on that same road almost every saturday night, as one of our favourite pubs is near that place.

Now my area is the most badly hit. A cluster appeared in a nearby valley almost contemporary to the first clusters in Italy, but unlike the other ones it was decided not to lock down that place to avoid shutting down some important industries. Now the situation is out of control, while the first clusters are more or less contained by now.

Local hospitals are full. Bergamo's airport, the third busiest airport in Italy, is now almost exclusively used by Italian Air Force cargo planes transfering patients to hospitals in other regions in bio-containment capsules.
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

I was about to post that. A flu doesn't overwhelm a country's healthcare system like that.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 05:11:20 am by -Joshua- »

This article does a good job of explaining what happened in Italy and the Chinese regions, and what will happen to the US and UK if they continue on their current trajectory

The short version is that the rate of infection and the rate of people who need intensive care as a result of that infection will overwhelm the amount of intensive care actually available. Refer back to Dysko's posts to see what that loooks like in Italy.

Dutch article about how the virus has spread much faster in the Netherlands then the government responded. Noteworthy points are: Several patients that were having pneunomia and were in the hospital for a week or more later turned out to have the coronavirus. The netherlands isn't testing nearly enough either.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 10:58:09 am by -Joshua- »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
That top article Joshua posted is well worth the read. Probably the best explanation of why mitigation is a dreadful idea I've read so far.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Judging by current statistics I think there is a good chance the US will end up having the worst response in the entire world to this disease. If not, we'll probably be top 5.

NY picked up about 5000 new infections yesterday. Here in NYC we're looking at about one death an hour. Army's looking at setting up field hospitals in stadiums. Witness the true power of The Doubling

« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 01:00:09 pm by General Battuta »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The federal government in Germany just announced a general ban on gatherings of more than 2 people, to be enforced by the usual agencies and backed by harsh sanctions (up to 25k €).

Offline theperfectdrugsk

• thinks there should be a dedicated 'en-dash' key
Went to bass pro the other day to get ready for turkey season...the tinfoil hat folks are stocking up, buying up crazy amounts of ammo. I was still able to get my turkey loads, but they were completely out of 00 anti-Virus shot. :|