Author Topic: important wiki matter: please post thoughts  (Read 6567 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: important wiki matter: please post thoughts
It's not useful, it doesn't add anything to the VC section of that page, it serves no real purpose, I don't see why it should be added in the first place, etc., should I carry on?

Now, let me ask one question: do you at least realize that people occasionally use the Wiki for its intended purpose, which is learning information concerning the official and the unofficial FreeSpace universe? Are you somehow convinced it's a corner where people can do whatever they want, and kind of mess up with the main purpose of a Wiki?

EDIT: by the way, TopAce's edits on the GTC Aeolus' article are being undone back and forth. Someone may find this "game of edits" funny, I don't think it is.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 09:04:42 am by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Now, let me ask one question: do you at least realize that people occasionally use the Wiki for its intended purpose, which is learning information concerning the official and the unofficial FreeSpace universe? Are you somehow convinced it's a corner where people can do whatever they want, and kind of mess up with the main purpose of a Wiki?

Oh, I do realize that completely.

However, I also realize that allowing the presence of some jokes does not stand in the way of that.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
No offense to anyone but I think the understandability of a Veteran Comment to all humans with a basic knowledge of English and FreeSpace lore should take precedence over the will to inject some funny quote most people will not understand.

It might be worth a general rule that if a comment is more entertaining than informative on uses of the ship, it should be shuffled to the bottom of the veteran comments to reduce any possible negative impact to the utility of that section, and it shouldn't be mislead either.

Currently the veteran comments for the Aeolus are 680 words long, 17 of which are joke and all the way at the bottom. If someone is reading them to research the uses and characteristics of the ship this should not be a noteworthy impediment, unless reading references they don't get or wordplay they don't appreciate makes their entire brain lock up.
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You could argue that "Little in the middle but she's got much flak" is a good way of remembering the properties of that particular ship.

So the comment is actually useful.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Great! Battuta has just removed the explanatory remarks. Apparently, he's not open to compromises.

[EDIT] JSNerds's paraphrased solution, too.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 12:13:38 pm by TopAce »
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
You should show him who's boss!

everything is as it should be
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
You should show him who's boss!

Then will come allegations of abusing my powers and I don't need that.

I just want this thing over with. I'm with Mobius in regards to making sure everyone understands the reference. Battuta offered his own wording for the explanation in his edit commentary, which he removed now. Copying it (from the non-mainspace to the mainspace) was probably wrong.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
I think the endless edit war is a bit of harmless fun that adds character to the page and the wiki. It's not on every line of every page, it's one line on one page. Some people are taking this way too seriously.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

I just want this thing over with.

Honest question: are you that unhappy with turning a blind eye to this one line on one page?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I approve of "Little in the middle but she's got much flak".
Do not approve of adding the explanation for the reference, since the above expression in of itself is entirely an accurate description of the Aeolus.
I don't know about whole becky and the strut thing though. It's far less informative and I don't really think it needs to be there. Making the joke longer (or explaining it) takes away from its succinctness which makes it good in the first place. I feel it's bloat that doesn't need to be there, but hey what do I know?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

I have only recently learned that the line refers to a song and I thought the line was amazing before I knew that.

Having read all the other veteran comments and having found them entirely contradictory, I propose we wipe the entirety of the Veteran Comments and only leave the "little in the middle but she got much flak", which is actually the most accurate line in the entire section.

Like seriously all these VCs are awful
They're all talking about the dizzying flak array
yet the cruiser is outmatched by RockEye turret sniping.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
I just want this thing over with.

Honest question: are you that unhappy with turning a blind eye to this one line on one page?

Considering how much this has dragged on, yes, I'm indifferent to the outcome. I suggested a compromise, and it was rejected. It's obvious Batt won't give up and neither will the opposition.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Why does it say 'post empty'

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
In all seriousness, i have no problem with "little in the middle but she got much flak". I just think the oblique version is funnier, and will probably wait 2 weeks for the situation to calm down and everyone to forget about it before I edit it back in, if I don't forget about it myself. It's a harmless joke on a wiki page.

In not-so-seriousness,"little in the middle but she got much flak" is completely unacceptable and I will fight you to the death over this.
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.