Author Topic: Hlp member appreciation thread  (Read 3869 times)

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Hlp member appreciation thread
This might be the wrong place to put this, was not sure, mods please move it if u think it should be somewere else.

This is a place to say nice things about each other and their projects, a place where you can talk about your favrate modder, mod, moderator, and/or member, and what you like about them.

I'll start,

I'm thankful for ertanax's walls of text, they are fun to read.
I'm glad that we have coders like m!m, beazon, david gibson, and everyone else to help keep fso updated.
I like nyx's ships, joshua is cool, and battuta is witty.

Begin asaltting each other with complaments. Go!
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline Darius

Re: Hlp member appreciation thread
Enioch is a master story crafter and i particularly enjoyed his rule the waves stories. I hope he comes back with more soon.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Bryan see had a single- minded devotion I've rarely seen outside of the Internet.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Iain "Nomad" Baker does an astounding job as a writer and proofreader. Subscribe to Nomad's Reviews at once!  :cool:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
mjn.mixael
I always had the deepest respect for his works actually. BtA was fun to play, maybe even too diverse in its mission and the HD Cutscenes were gorgeous in the most part.
So, actually it was really a shame, that we were never able to get along together and that became very ugly in the end due to the dumbest reasons.

Bryan See
Even his execution of ideas was mediocre at best due to his lack of patience in general... he had very ambitions ideas after all and atleast he tried to bring them to live.

As JMS is one of the persons i idolized, both people share this visionary attitude i am trying to keep myself. And that always need to be some kind of stubborn to be able to push your ideas through.
But well, you need people like us to get in any new direction  :)
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
Spoon
Wings of Dawn essentially lead me to start modding and writing my own stories. Idolized him for a long time since few members have constructed a full scale total Conversion all by themselves like he did. Incredibly dedicated and it's a pity he's gone now.
Also his art is cute and made me start art.

Lafiel
One of the nicest people I've encountered on HLP, helped me out a ton with learning how to script and is overall always helpful whenever I have trouble with my own modding adventures.

Nyctaeus
Was very encouraging when I tried to model a new Amazon, occasionally helps me out with Substance Painter, taught me about Substance Painter's existence and makes very cool ships.
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Achilleon, for opening doors.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Raven2001 and Vasudan Admiral - I recognise them as my paternal figures when it comes to modelling. Their work inspired me and allowed to achieve everything I know about modelling today.

Rampage, Mobius, Admiral Nelson - My signature modding partners, good pals and closest associates in the community.

Col.Hornet - The last remaining modder I made friends with on now defunct polish community. One of my closest real-life friends, smart man and great modding partner.

Goober5000 - When he was administrator, he provided me with the most encouragement, support and attention from the whole admin crew.

Nightmare, Colt, Ertanax, Asteroth, EatThePath, Strygon, Iain "Nomad" Baker - Some of examples of newer members I found worth mentioning. All very talented, cooperative and promising. I keep tracking their activities with attention, wishing their projects excellence in the upcoming future.

Orph3u5, Darius, NeonShivan, TheDagger, RGA_Noris, BrotherBryon, FreeSpaceFreak, Oddgrim - Honorable mentions of guys with style! I like their work, their sense of aesthetics and their creative directions.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 08:22:05 pm by Nyctaeus »
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
The E, for inspiring me (and inviting me) to join the SCP, which has been some of the most rewarding work I've ever done in my life.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The E for not giving up on this community despite everything he's been through in real life.

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
Axem, for providing several very entertaining campaigns, as well as writing scripts which are now used in nearly every mod I see.
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

I'd like to compliment every single programmer, model maker, script writer, story writer, and any other subset of modder that has made this game and community what it is today. I'm not giving names, there are too many to list and you all know who you are.

All of you make me proud.

:)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I'd like to thank TechnoD11 for his exemplary attitude 👍
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Lafiel

Axem, for not only making scripts that are essential to most modern campaigns, but also for inspiring me to work on FS stuff in general

m!m, Asteroth, Goober5000 and z64555 for having the patience entertaining even my weirder PR's and helping me get an entry into the SCP

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Thank you to everyone who has contributed and continues to contribute new things for this crazy 22-year-old space game. The work you guys do is nothing short of amazing.

Offline spart_n

• I am the labeller of CringeTM and KinoTM
    • Steam
To Mjn, who went out to upload old campaigns on Knossos for my benefit;

To Goober, one of my better introductions to the community on my first week;

To Matth, for getting me into screenshotting;

For Mito, who encouraged, supported, and was there for laughs during my Freespace campaign marathon;

To Darius, Axem, Herkie, Mobius, Nyx, Nelson and Strygon for being my more memorable content creators;

And to the other creators, whose usernames aren't quite as memorable but left a legacy that gives Freespace a longetivity lasting months if not years;

Thanks.

I do think that in part because of this community I've become a kinder, gentler person, and especially a far more articulate person. It's been a long time since I first started reading posts here, but I want to single out The E and MP-Ryan in particular for now.

joshua is cool

but i didn't do anything. Also you're way cooler.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 06:28:02 pm by -Joshua- »

You guys rock, I really wish I could contribute more. But I promise if I come into an extra deluge of cash, HLP is on the top of my list to keep helping out with.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
To everyone in general, because players are just as important as creators.

And doubly so to everyone who had to put up with me.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Too many people to thank individually really. So thank you all for allowing me to be your unpaid shill. My portfolio sends its regards too, it's nice and ..er.. 'rotund' hanks to HLP :-)

Thank you to everyone too for creating so many incredible campaigns that I hardly ever need to buy new games. (Although my 'Steam Library List of Shame' isn't too pleased as it keeps complaining that I'm not getting through it fast enough. I think it is going to file for divorce under grounds of neglect  ;7)

Thank you too to the people behind Knossos. I remember seeing some of the FS mods advertised waaaay back in the 2000s and thinking - "I wish I could play those" - then looking at the install instructions back then and thinking "Nope - me not do IT good. wXlauncher be scary! :shaking:". (I did figure it out by about 2017 when I joined HLP). But Knossos makes it SOOOOOO much easier that even a borderline Boomer like me can figure it out  :lol:

Also a big thank you to the SR team for taking me on and letting my creative juices flow - while getting my 'doomer card' stamped on the reg. Most of what I have done with SR isn't visible yet, as its being saved for the next big update - ETA... er...its on 'Valve Time'.  :lol:
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]