Author Topic: Error Loading Bp2-06  (Read 2266 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Error Loading Bp2-06
So I've been replaying BP V1.1.5 under Knossos recently, but while trying to play mission 06 from WIH gives me a "Failure to Load Mission" message.  I loaded up a debug build and it gave me this when it crashed:

Warning: Unable to find 'Turret02' in the ship Bandersnatch (class UEFr Demeter) subsys_list!

I checked the model and found that the Demeter model doesn't in fact have a Turret02 subsystem, rather a Turret02a.

At the same time, I decided to go through all of the ships in the lap using a debug build and got a bunch of error messages.  Some of them pertain to models from the Media VPs, put I'll include them regardless.

Warning: Duplicate docking bay name 'blahblah' found on model 'Base2r-01.pof'!

Warning: Duplicate docking bay name 'front docking bay' found on model 'SuperCap2S-01.pof'!

Warning: Path '$path01' in model UESc_ShenKuo.pof has a name that is not unique!

Warning: Path '$Path01' in model UEC_SanctusMk2.pof has a name that is not unique!

Warning: Path '$path01' in model UEC_Custos.pof has a name that is not unique!

Warning: Couldn't open glowpoint texture 'White512glow' referenced by model 'UEFg_KarunaMK2.pof'

Warning: Path '$Path03' in model UEFg_NarayanaPrefit.pof has a name that is not unique!

Warning: Couldn't open texture 'mrgnnmpt-trans' referenced by model 'UEFg_Murugan.pof'

Warning: Path '$Path12' in model UEC_Custos-X.pof has a name that is not unique!

Warning: Path '$Path18' in model UED_Toutatis.pof has a name that is not unique!

Warning: Path '$Path02' in model UEFr_ChronosMK2.pof has a name that is not unique!

Warning: Couldn't open texture 'chg-capital01-03' referenced by model 'Luna_Dome.pof'

Warning: For ship 'Dakota Hovertank', detail level mismatch. Table has 2, POF has 1.

Warning: Path '$path50' in model GTD_HecateMK2.pof has a name that is not unique!

Warning: Path '$dockpath01' in model GTD_Titan.pof has a name that is not unique!

Warning: For ship 'GTD Erebus#player', detail level mismatch. Table has 4, POF has 2.

Warning: Path '$path01' in model GEF_Wyvern.pof has a name that is not unique!

Warning: Path '$Path12' in model GEF_Morena_MacDuff.pof has a name that is not unique!

I'm guessing that those warnings about the path names are generally inconsequential, but those others could give you trouble.  Any chance an update can fix at least what is causing this mission to fail?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Error Loading Bp2-06
I'm so tired of maintaining this!!

Then pin it to a specific build, instead of allowing newer versions. Then you never have to worry about anything breaking ever again (at least those due to changes in FSO).

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I'm gonna poke through the mission file in notepad to see if I can to a simple text fix.

Update: It worked... at least in respect to THAT error message.  I changed the references to turret01 and turret02 to turret01a and turret02a, but then I got hit with another error message.

Warning: Not all subsystems in model "UEI_Ceres-R.pof" have a record in ships.tbl. This can cause game to crash. List of subsystems not found from table is in log file.

I'm comparing the model and the table file, and I've noticed that all of the subsystems, even the un-targettable ones have both a $special=subsystem and a $name=WHATEVER, except the FBDoora subsystem, which only has the $special entry.  I'm gonna try to add a $name entry and see if that works.  It's got an untargettable flag in the table so it shouldn't make any difference.

Update2:

Adding the name didn't prevent that error message from coming up, and I can't find any obvious subsystems for it to complain about.  I did select "continue" to see what else came up, and something event-wise came up with an error.

Warning: Invalid custom HUD gauge.

In sexpression: ( when
   ( has-arrived-delay 0 "Acuity" )
   ( when
      ( true )
      ( hud-gauge-set-active
         "BPTaccom"
         ( true )
      )
      ( hud-gauge-set-active
         "BPTaccomA"
         ( true )
      )
      ( hud-gauge-set-active
         "BPTaccomB"
         ( true )
      )
      ( hud-gauge-set-active
         "BPTaccomC"
         ( true )
      )
      ( hud-gauge-set-active
         "BPTaccomD"
         ( true )
      )
      ( hud-gauge-set-active
         "BPTaccomE"
         ( true )
      )
      ( hud-set-text
         "BPTaccomA"
[...]
(Error appears to be: BPTaccomE)

Any guesses as to THAT one?

Update3:

Solutions have been reached.  The mission now loads without complaints, even under debug.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 08:51:04 pm by Trivial Psychic »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
What were the solutions

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
It seems that the event error was what was causing the mission to fail, and solving it meant removing the part of the event that references BPTaccomE, which according to Orph3u5 is something from an older MediaVP that has been deprecated.  I also added the fighterbay subsystem to the Ceres-R table entry, since it's listed in the model.

While I was at it, I also started looking at the source for those "not unique" path warnings (not that they're show-stoppers), and found that the ships I looked at had more than one model path with the same name.  Some were outright duplicates with the same name identical paths, but others were quite different, sometimes linking on to entirely different subsystems.  I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, say for plot reasons you needed a ship to attack a subsystem by a specific model path (is that possible?).  The Sanctus Mk2 is a mess though, with subsystem paths nowhere near their referenced subsystems.  Is that model even used in a mission?

I've continued past the mission in question and have encountered no more show-stoppers... yet.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
solving it meant removing the part of the event that references BPTaccomE, which according to Orph3u5 is something from an older MediaVP that has been deprecated.

To clarify that:

- BP's custom HUD gauges are stored in their version of mv_root-hdg.tbm, meaning that it overrides the MVP configuration.
- The elements of the Taccom-Gauge use the graphics of the Directives Gauge.
- The absence of TaccomE, and the fact that TaccomD uses the 2_directives3, suggests that the Taccom Gauge was changed in response to a higher base resolution of the HUD - which is one of the last changes the MVPs did to their mv_root-hdg.tbm.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline QuakeIV

• test
I agree just peg it to a version if keeping up is needless suffering.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
M09 gave me another failure to load.  Debug warned about TaccomE again, but after removing it it also complained about TaccomF.  Removing that as well allowed it to load properly.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I forgot to mention, I encountered a few bugs in M08.  I managed a few primary bursts off before they locked-up, and I'm not sure it was intended for that to be possible.  Also, my secondaries were unlocked the entire time.  Again, I thought that wasn't supposed to be possible.  Finally, I got a near continuous loop of messages from Simms agreeing to help you.  It seems that using the "1" button to unlock the primaries also triggers the call-for-help request (which is also slaved to "1") and a continuous repeat of the "coming to help" messages from Simms.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
So in relation to the crash I've been encountering with bp2-10 (see other thread), I decided to take a closer look at the Hecate MK2.  It's been complaining about subsystems on the ship not being in the model.  I took a look and found one classic-style subsystem called path45, which must be a mistake in my opinion so I removed it.  I also noticed that the communications subsystem lacked any name data in the submodel, even though its listed in the table.  I changed these and tested it again but still had the same error message.  Finally, I added subsystem data in the table file for the two radar submodels, which both have name data in the pof but no reference in the table file.  I added "untargettable" lines for them and it seems to work.

There are also error messages regarding the model having two $path12 and $path16

The first $path12 is attached onto Turret12, and the first $path16 is attached onto Turret16, but the second $path12 is attached to Turret04, which also has $path04 attached to it, and the second $path16 is attached to Turret08, which also has $path08.  Furthermore, the two duplicate paths are 4-point paths, as opposed to most attack paths are 2-point paths.

I'm not sure if these new 4-point paths are deliberately this way, for special plot-specific purposes.  Am I cleared to delete these paths?  Should I delete the old paths for turrets 04 and 08 and rename the new ones to match?