Author Topic: For your consideration: PBR texture conversions (Rakshasa)  (Read 1912 times)

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
For your consideration: PBR texture conversions (Rakshasa)
How it started:

How it's going:

Exact same lighting settings here, nearly no ambient, but a colorful background.

My goal was to make the Rakshasa look like it was built the same as the Moloch, I'll let you be the judge.

RGA's psds for the Rakshasa were double the size of the ones in my last extract from the MVPs, and given the nine years that have passed I figured I'd just go ahead and use the full size, as well as separate the AO out as the PBR textures like, and also cooking up a full on reflect map for it. I've made the maps available to Nyx if the FSU wants to include them. I'll be trying the same conversion settings on another ship or too before too long.
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Re: For your consideration: PBR texture conversions (Rakshasa)
Apologies if this is pointless commentary as the ships aren't finished. The textures look fine, but in the newer work the Shivan ships looks like they lose some of their shadows/darkness? Which makes them to my eyes seem a bit less intimating. Shivan ships have a very nice "deathly black and red neon out of the shadows" look that really adds to their dread. I'm no expert on anything, but to my casual eye its what I notice.

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
Well, the Moloch is very finished, it's Nyx's most recent shivan contribution to the FSU and at least to me, it is gorgeous. The revised Rakshasa I also consider done, unless someone points out a significant way to improve it.

But, what's creating the effect you're talking about is that the ships are, in essence, catching the light from the nebula in the level background. Their ships are practically black, but they are not coming 'out of the shadows' in most of these shots. They catch the light, and they have to do that at least some or they look very flat and dull, IMO. To see the backgrounds reflecting off the hulls of the Ravana, Demon, or Moloch, or to see how their own beams light them up, or just how their contours catch the light of a level's sun(s) makes that flatness of the other ships painfully evident to me, and thus this effort.

The current MVP version of the Rakshasa is first image, and my revision is second. I would point out the upper curve, from midsection to back, of the Rakshasa. I would say my version is overall quite a bit darker, actually, closer to being a black metal than a grey surface, while the underside is lit a bit more but in the colored lights of the background nebula, not in the white light of the sun.

"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

I see. I've enjoyed the new MediaVps, and this probably looks much better in-game. I'm never going to say "no" to updated work on these models. :P

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
eye candying intensifies :-)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I like the spruced up textures! :yes:
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Apologies if this is pointless commentary as the ships aren't finished. The textures look fine, but in the newer work the Shivan ships looks like they lose some of their shadows/darkness? Which makes them to my eyes seem a bit less intimating. Shivan ships have a very nice "deathly black and red neon out of the shadows" look that really adds to their dread. I'm no expert on anything, but to my casual eye its what I notice.
Black is pretty much impossible in current FSO revisions. It's an issue that our artists discussed several times in the past. What's supposed to be black appears grey, because black is technically not a color. Black is lack of light. When any light is being cast on any surface that's actually black on bitmap, it turns it grey... Sometimes far beyond the point we would like it to. Black appears on PBR textures only in shadow or with very dim settings.

It's not really an issue our team can adress. If you want darker result, adjust your lighting settings accordingly.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
Deep blacks is also, I believe, an issue of the tonemapper the shaders use. I'm working that(or was and will be, at least) too, and will be interested to see what the FSU decides to do afterwards.