Author Topic: PCS2 Test Builds  (Read 76914 times)

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
nope... subobjects only have an offset from parent... if we actually wanted to animate rotation.. we would have to worry about submodels having own orientation

why are we worried about this?

PS:
http://alliance.cvs.sourceforge.net/alliance/traderoutes/code/core/matrix.h?revision=1.2&view=markup
http://alliance.cvs.sourceforge.net/alliance/traderoutes/code/core/matrix.cpp?revision=1.2&view=markup

i'll copy those over
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
ah, alright! :D

I was just wondering, if the submodels had there own orientation it would make finding the camera in local space a bit more complicated. it would be nice to have it later though, as we'd be able to import one model and copy it, and this could allow for a shared vertex/index buffer between these objects in FSO (and PCS). but that's a year or two down the road so it was just a thought I had as we were talking about all this matrix stuff.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
i'm willing to be you could construct a single vertex buffer for an entire model and then index buffers for each submodel.  i doubt openGL requires that every time you call drawing index buffered segments of a vertex buffer they have to be in he same transform

now... PCS2 doesn't need to draw via the vertex buffer (And really shouldn't for realtime updates when geometry editing)

right now PCS2 only draws when something causes the glCanvas to need to be redrawn.. or when we instruct it to (like.. every time the selection in the treeview changes.. it should be forced to render again - so that when we put the context rendering it updates)

if we want to show submodel rotation we will have to setup a timer to make it redraw 30 to 60 times a second (make it a preference slider)

i also eventually want to do shine/glow/etc and be able to have the user have a few lights he can move around, color, etc - but i don't know how to do that

(nor do i know how to draw glow points)

i really either need taylors help.. or you to tell me how to do these things and i can probably write te openGL code to do it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 09:21:41 pm by Kazan »

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
there is a way of model instancing using some sort of vertex shader, there is also a way to draw verteicies with different matrices.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I found the source of the infinite loop, num_exts was 5 when it should have been 7.
so it would find the file, but wouldn't load it, and sence the fiile exsisted, but not loaded it would keep trying to load it.

could it be posable for it to look

file.ext1
(vp)file.ext1
file.ext2
(vp)file.ext2

rather than

file.ext1
file.ext2
(vp)file.ext1
(vp)file.ext2

« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 09:55:15 pm by Bobboau »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
also just figured out why it was crashing on a lot of POFs, (awacs2t-01.POF) num_cross_sections should not be unsigned, I remember this as a peculiarity of this if there are no cross sections num is -1 not 0.
num_lights might be the same, don't recal off hand.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
I found the source of the infinite loop, num_exts was 5 when it should have been 7.
so it would find the file, but wouldn't load it, and sence the fiile exsisted, but not loaded it would keep trying to load it.

could it be posable for it to look

file.ext1
(vp)file.ext1
file.ext2
(vp)file.ext2

rather than

file.ext1
file.ext2
(vp)file.ext1
(vp)file.ext2

isn't the texture loading code complex and slow enough already? ... i really don't like ****ing with that code as it's a massive pain in the ass.. and what you suggest would seriously slow it down (worse case scenario is num_exts times slower

also just figured out why it was crashing on a lot of POFs, (awacs2t-01.POF) num_cross_sections should not be unsigned, I remember this as a peculiarity of this if there are no cross sections num is -1 not 0.

i already fixed this on my system

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
same place new build

I fixed a bunch of bugs, and added some more options (light colors! oh so fancy!)

oh, and I added the ability to edit cross sections, even though I'm not completely sure what they do.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 01:43:51 am by Bobboau »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
make you make a policy of every time you post a build you cvs commit

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well, ok, I was trying to have people test for bugs first, but I guess they don't do that much anyway.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
and so Bobboau said "let there be omnipoints" and there was, and there was much downloading to be had by all.

OK, out of sheer desperation, I made a very poor omni point renderer, I realy hope kaz rewrites it, cause I don't like it, if I knew OGL better it'd been a zillion times better, but anyway. yeah, you can see what you're doing now. also if you hold down ctrl you can move things with the mouse (rclick=x/z, lclick=y. very primitive at this point). and the scroll wheel edits radius for things that have it. I plan on haveing the ability to rotate normals as well eventually.

also the fetus pink color is only temporary, I'll actually work on getting everything customizable, soonish.

if I can get my camera vectors in model space I'll be able to make things move the way you would expect them to and I'll be able to develop a hyper cool ray picker, that'll let you just click on the thing you are interested in and it'll be selected.

make sure to tell me what is wrong with it,

I'm going to take most of tomorrow off, so you have some time.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Any chance we could get another test build soon? I've got a little bit of free-ish time today to do some more testing - especially checking out the bug #5 fixes. :)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
ok I think I got all my bugs done, including the weapon point bug (BTW any time you see that error message it's a highest priority bug, that is code which should never be reached), but that one was a bit wily so make sure.

I also updated my code so if Kaz committed his changes they should be in here too.

and so far I've been just updating the same file, so if I forget to post the link it's here
http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater/pcs2.zip
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
hey, kaz, did you forget about that matrix class, I was going to just add it my self, but it looks like it's got a bunch of other dependencies.

cause I'd realy like to get to work on a ray picker, but I need both the camera's and the model's position and orientations, and preferably some matrix math stuff, and I don't want to write all new matrix stuff just to have it replaced in a few days.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 04:09:28 am by Bobboau »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
i thought we ended up with you not needing it.. i'll import it after physics today

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I updated my zip, I added a neat new control, a suggestion wrapper for exsistng controls, you hit a little button and it gives you a few good options for what should go into the text box,  will probly be most useful in the special points and model properties fields.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
I just corrected a serious bug in COB/SCN->PMF loading that resulted in all normals being inverted - this is along with other (related) bugs

these fixes should be present in the next build posted

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Ok, now that is just pure awesome all in one button. :D
Can I suggest an auto-turret entry btw? So in the subobject properties suggestion, you have all those ones, plus one that will add in one click:

$special=subsystem
$fov=180
$name=Turret

Actually come to think of it, for the subobject properties window, I'd suggest having a 'default' or 'sample' entry for most (or maybe all?) possible types of subobject. That'd include one for a: detail box, turret, destroyable subsystem, rotating subsystem, simple triggered animation and for when it is reintegrated into FSO, one for off axis multipart turrets.
Any I missed, and would this be possible?

And also, I noticed these in the submodel property suggestions box, and I've never heard of them before.

$stepped
$steps=4
$t_paused=2
$t_transit=6

What chunk of functionality have I been missing out on here? Again. :(

And crikey the pair of you kill bugs fast. I'll have to find some new ones for you now. :p
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
turret's automatically have their properties filled on load from COB/SCN if you name them to the turret naming convention

(we need to write some nice FULL DOCUMENTATION for PCS2 - i plan on using wxHTML panes and write the docs in HTML)

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard