Author Topic: Godus, the crowdfunded, clicky moneytrap  (Read 1802 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Godus, the crowdfunded, clicky moneytrap
Avoid. Like the plague.

I have great respect for Peter Molyneux and his introduction of games like Dungeon Keeper and Populous, so you can imagine how despondent I am after my experiences over recent months with the ever more mobile-centric Godus.

Remember this game started on Kickstarter, it's crowdfunded, and yet since a deal was signed between 22Cans and a company that specializes in pay to play mobile games, the concept of using this as anything more than a vehicle to earn to cash from a future, free mobile release seems to have flown out of the window. The game depends on finding 'stickers' and mining 'gems', and it seems to be a certainty that these will be purchasable on the mobile version via an online shop.

It's timers, and clicking and more timers and sitting around waiting for timers and then a short burst of more clicking, possibly with some dragging for a bit of variety.

If you feel the urge to buy this game, I recommend instead that you look at another Kickstarter game called Universim (http://theuniversim.com/) whilst it may or may not make its target, it does at least look like the kind of thing that people actually want to see from a modern God Game.

I've been burned so you don't have to be.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Godus, the crowdfunded, clicky moneytrap
I think that trajectory was inevitable for Molyneux, at least after that Curiousity ...thing... he did prior to Godus.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

The whole game industry is taking a nose dive with this free to play garbage.
I don' t know how many people can waste their time with stuff like candy crush and end up paying money for what is basically a dice-rolling game.

A friend of mine plays a free to play phone game, Marvel Heroes or somesuch, and one of the players in his guild spent 10K on the f***ing thing. To mobile developers going after "whales" that's not even that much they're trying to target people who will throw 100K or whatnot at this crap.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The thing is, the Steam Community for Godus is becoming more and more infuriated over this. The latest patch came out yesterday, and not only is it even more of the same, they've actually managed to introduce a mechanic that breaks the game entirely by making two factors inter-dependent in a self-paralysing spiral which slows the game down even more.

If 22Cans had created the game with their own money, I'd probably take it a little more on the chin, but what the Kickstarters have funded is NOT a PC game that will be ported to Mobile, which is what was advertised, it is instead, a Mobile game that is being developed on a PC platform.

Offline Zeether

Universim made its goal, so you can rest easy now :)

I heard this game had a lot of flak and I can believe it...Molyneux being Molyneux as always.

Gaming industry is seriously taking a nosedive these days. Free to play garbage, early access/early abandoned garbage, pay to continue, pay to get all the content you paid for in the first place.

AAA is sparse at best, medium companies have all gone down the ****ter and what we have at best is now independent start-up companies which in some cases are doing a fine job (Harebrained schemes, etcetera) but in other cases like Molyneux seem to be taking a giant dump on the customers.

Fortunately for me I have such a huge backlog of games to play through from both GOG, Steam and for the 360 that I'll be busy for a long while because very little coming out has my interest at all.

Still waiting for Massive Chalice which could be good, and the new Wolfenstein game looks very fun. Might be the new game I pick up.

I hope E3 shows us something to look forward to.

Offline Mikes

Gaming industry is seriously taking a nosedive these days. Free to play garbage, early access/early abandoned garbage, pay to continue, pay to get all the content you paid for in the first place.

That's a pretty general statement that I just can not agree with at all.

You are lumping all kinds of things together and just label them "bad" when the actual development is much more complex and nuanced.

But yeah, Godus is a pile of crap, no disagreement there ;)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I think that trajectory was inevitable for Molyneux, at least after that Curiousity ...thing... he did prior to Godus.

Well, to be fair, Curiosity was a stroke of genius.

Evil, greedy genius of the foulest sort, but still genius.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

That's a pretty general statement that I just can not agree with at all.

You are lumping all kinds of things together and just label them "bad" when the actual development is much more complex and nuanced.

But yeah, Godus is a pile of crap, no disagreement there ;)

I'm saying more that garbage of that type exists rather than everything of that type is garbage.

Minecraft for example had early access of sorts, and was a phenomenal success. Now there's all kinds of early access on steam and some games are being abandoned before they're even finished.

Dungeon Keeper 3 is an example of pay to continue. Spending money or hours to mine out your squares.

Candy Crush, Clash of Clans etcetera free to play garbage that's aiming at "whales" which spend 100K+ on this crap. Friend plays in Marvel heroes mobile game and someone in his clan spend 10K on it. On a free mobile game!

Other mobile games, you pay to play the game then the game begs you for more money in-game and limits your progress if you don't.

So on and so forth.