Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 581006 times)

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
Minecart tracks and wooden planks generally (if they look unkempt) are abandoned mineshafts (as-in, game-generated, not just a mineshaft another player made and abandoned).

They certainly did look unkempt. Oh well.

I started working on a bunker mine on a nearby island. I dug down quite a ways and then started digging out a small room and ran across about 10 iron.

But yeah, since that's an abandoned mineshaft I could go back there I guess.

EDIT: Great. My bunker mine broke into another abandoned mineshaft.  :doubt: It's as if Minecraft refuses to let me avoid monsters.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 08:05:30 pm by FlamingCobra »

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It'a probably all part of the same system, mineshafts cover pretty hefty areas and are filled with Cave Spider Spawners, which are surrnounded by webs :) There's never much in the chests at the moment, hopefully in 1.9 more rewarding stuff such as potions will be in them.

Basically, when you are prepared, get down there with some torches and pickaxe, they are good places to find reserves of ore without having to dig too much, but watch out for those spawners ;)

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
So I make a single player world to do some experiments, figured I would start a fresh one. This is the first thing I see:

For some reason the world generator was in a good mood, this is going to be fun.
Seed: 490679052238506762
Cords: X = 13, Z = 117
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
That's what the new terrain gen code does, it adds loads more variance to y-values, possibly too much now, but the steep slopes that creates isn't too compatible with the cave systems. Where you get sheer cliffs is where the difference between those two points on the y axis is close enough to be considered zero from a voxels' point of view ;) Alos, the new code makes the landscape much more 'mottled' with biomes, which probably doesn't help.

In my opinion, he needs to double the scale of the Biomes generated, and probably reduce the Y-Variance in the terrain gen to around 75%.

Still, it makes for some interesting scenery and building opportunities, which is probably the intention :)

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
That's what the new terrain gen code does, it adds loads more variance to y-values, possibly too much now, but the steep slopes that creates isn't too compatible with the cave systems. Where you get sheer cliffs is where the difference between those two points on the y axis is close enough to be considered zero from a voxels' point of view ;) Alos, the new code makes the landscape much more 'mottled' with biomes, which probably doesn't help.

In my opinion, he needs to double the scale of the Biomes generated, and probably reduce the Y-Variance in the terrain gen to around 75%.

Still, it makes for some interesting scenery and building opportunities, which is probably the intention :)
what he needs to do is let us fiddle with the worldgen with more options than just "input seed, pray to satan"
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline watsisname

what he needs to do is let us fiddle with the worldgen with more options than just "input seed, pray to satan"

This, a thousand times this!
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline -Sara-

This appeared on the RHX-server (or whatever we call it nowadays)

For who has some use for it I can pass on the coords! It has a lake and a valley behind it, which is surrounded by hillsides, very nice.

As for other random stuff, the landscape generator gave us swatziville. How silly! (Yes, it's really randomly generated :S).

I suggest changing the road a little! It's the old '/warp npctown'.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 09:11:53 am by -Sara- »
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline FlamingCobra

If I find a cave entrance a ways off from home what is a good way to keep track of where it is? I live in a forest biome that is totally overgrown with trees so it is kind of hard to see things and it is easy to get disoriented since everything looks the same.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 10:33:01 am by FlamingCobra »

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I started by building a large tower of dirt and covering it with torches till I could get something more permanent on the go. That said, Dynmap is a blessing in multiplayer :)

Offline FlamingCobra

I started by building a large tower of dirt and covering it with torches till I could get something more permanent on the go. That said, Dynmap is a blessing in multiplayer :)

Basically what I started doing? I started building a 1x1 spire of stone and put ladders on it so I could climb back up and build it higher when I returned. I plan to put torches on the top. Kind of like a skinny lighthouse.

EDIT: But what if you hit F3 and wrote down the coordinates?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
F3 can work, but it can mean you are looking so hard at your co-ordinates that you aren't looking where you are going. Done that myself and fell into a huge hole :/

Offline FlamingCobra

I spawned at this really awesome place when I used the winning lottery numbers for 11/2/2011 (121434394636) as a seed but I didn't write down the spawn coordinates. Long story short, I found out you don't normally spawn there. And I have no idea where that place was. I flew around in creative looking for it for hours. Now I'm pissed.  :mad:

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

As for other random stuff, the landscape generator gave us swatziville. How silly! (Yes, it's really randomly generated :S).

I suggest changing the road a little! It's the old '/warp npctown'.

No, I suggest not touching it.

All this swastika scare-craze is redicolous.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net

I agree.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft

I agree.
Yeah, I'm not going to edit it.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline FlamingCobra

Can you grow stuff underground with torches?

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
You could in 1.7, at the very least.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken