Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 579066 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Not really, considering the first things you see when you log into our server are not one, but two abandoned railway stations. :p

(I've talked with Kyad a bit about the need to prettify the spawn area, but I'm not really the type to plan that sort of thing out.)

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Personally, I prefer spawn areas that are similar to small villages... things that ease the newcomers into the server
"No"

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
A giant sign that says "YOU WILL ALL DIE" should ease most fears.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Not really, considering the first things you see when you log into our server are not one, but two abandoned railway stations. :p

(I've talked with Kyad a bit about the need to prettify the spawn area, but I'm not really the type to plan that sort of thing out.)

I tried once, but rhx put the old "empty" railstations back saying he liked the look  :nervous:

Shade's old station is currently the primary station for both major railways though.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, re-using Shade's old station like that was a great move, plus it looks cool too.  And I'm not suggesting that we have to completely gut the old stations, or fill them in with gravel or whatever...but neatly covering over the entranceways, with maybe a sign saying "X's old station behind here," would probably make things look nicer than throwing iron bars over tunnels that go nowhere.

And no offense to rhx, but given how well his railway plugin system went over, I think we're okay with moving on. :p

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I still wanna do that whole skyway rail system I mentioned a while back. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net

I've seen those done several times, they're usually ugly. I considered it when I was building my rail out, but scrapped the idea.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft

I've seen those done several times, they're usually ugly. I considered it when I was building my rail out, but scrapped the idea.

Considering that you can have it going at the height of 255, completely out of view... I don't think it'll be that much of an issue
"No"

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
It'd take a hell of a lot longer for a rail to climb from the surface all the way up to 255 than it does to climb down to bedrock, though. :p

(Plus the current system does a pretty decent job of covering most of the major server areas.)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Well, I began it regardless. :p It's just a hub for the time being, centered at 0,0, and located around 160y. I considered placing it way up at 250 or so, but you wouldn't be able to see the ground from that height while riding the rails. If that doesn't matter, then the rails can angle up as they depart the hub.

I'm planning on making "spokes"  that go out from the hub in all 4 cardinal directions, and then perhaps connecting the "spokes" every 500-1000 meters or so with rings. Currently I'm working on how departure gates should be made. If you're in creative mode, feel free to fly up and have a peek at the different variations, let me know which one you like best. One major consideration I have in mind while building this is to minimize the amount of sunlight being blocked in any one area.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
More rails?

How many do we need?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Just one network that makes sense. :p

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Doesn't everything connect to the town?
You can pretty much get everywhere from there....not always directly, but still.

I know there's a direct line to Fenris, JC's, Old TrashMania, New TrashMania and I think qazes and shades and a few other places.

Then from New TrashMania there is another rail that goes to Old TrashMania, tommo's new place and somewhere else.
JC has been building rails from his place too. Gimp has built a rail to his place, and it conenct somewhere close to qazes mannor.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Perhaps I should clarify... The skyways aren't going to connect destinations. The skyways are going to connect regions. I'm thinking of having a station every 500 or 1000 blocks or so, and people in that area can run lines from those stations to their houses or whatever. These stations will also be considerably smaller than the central hub.

What do most of you think about the altitude the lines should be at? The central hub is at 160y; the lines could be anywhere between that and 250ish. The problem with high altitude lines is visibility - the ground is hard to see from that high up.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Isn't connecting destinations in essence the same as connecting regions, given that destinations are in different regions?

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Think of it as replacing an out dated subway system with a new modern one. :nervous:

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
It's kind of sad that the server needs a ****ing metro map in order to get anywhere.  Maybe there should be a MAP OF THE COUNTRY information center at spawn?

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Your God-Emperer has been confined to the Golden Throne.
Altough his powers are dminished, fear not, for he still keeps the forces of the Warp away from you.

However, this will negatively influence his (as of late) already piss-poor building performance.
New TrashMania needs you!

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
Rawr bukkit has 1.25 recommended build out....ages ago actually o,o

Is we going to update? Since there's probs not going to be another update until 1.3 which is a while away, so this will be last update for a while.

EDIT: Updated to 1.2.5 to test out another server...and it seems I can still join the HLP server. I'm confused x.X
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 10:34:54 am by Grimper »
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n