Author Topic: Install program underdevelopment  (Read 13187 times)

Offline The Avenger

• Banned
    • http://www.microsoft.uk
Install program underdevelopment
I am currently making an install program for Hidden Terror and my new campaign and hopefully for Venom's descent campaign and any future ones he does and the Inferno campaign aswell...I was just wondering if anyone else making a campaign woud also like to use it..if they would like more info on what it can do and its possibilities then please leave a message in the topic thanks

Avenger

------------------
Guitar players when they were young played with tennis rackets...do young tennis players practice with guitars??
Avengers Home Page (Thats me!)
Hidden Terror Website

FreeSpace 2 Campaign Manager
I am Jesus

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases
Nope, not really.

Offline The Avenger

• Banned
oh ok well u might change ur mind when i have finished it and people can use it
I am Jesus

Offline Grey Wolf

What features does it have?
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

Originally posted by Grey Wolf 2009:
What features does it have?
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
A food generator

------------------

------------------
                   [email protected]                  Staff member of
SOC Inferno,can you defeat the shivans?  

Soc Inferno

iqc 102628858
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
It's quite cool. you d/l just the prog, and when you launch it, it looks if there's a anew version of the mod/campaign whatever and then asks if you want to d/l it (if there's a new one of course)
SCREW CANON!

Offline The Avenger

• Banned
ok i will list the features i am open to sujestions and i am willing to modify it to individual requests but if you think i have missed something major or it would be cool to have something then please tell me

1)It will download an install data file this contains all the locations of the files that need to be downloaded and when the campaign was last updated it also contains a few other things needed by the program.
2)It will check with your currently installed version (if you have one) and compare what is on the install data file and if there is a difference in last update date then it will goto the next stage.
3)3 different install options
    A)Basic Install (You could set this to basic components only like ships/interface and missions)
    B)Full Install (This would usually be everything that is for the campaign like the basic install + music etc but this is obvious i think)
    C)Custom Install (choose the components that you want to download for instance you accidently lost the table files and dont want to have to download the whole thing again or you downloaded the basic install last time and now u want to upgrade to full you can choose the components that you were missing)

4)It can be changed to any colour scheme at the momment i use black background and lime text to give it the technical feel but you could have it set to pink with yellow text if you felt that way inclinded lol)

5)It will but does not yet feature resumable downloads, i will put this in only if i have enough time to sit down and code a few hundred lines of text. If someone really wants it then i will do it.

6)Monitor how many times each file is downloaded. I.e setup a script download script to monitor how many times the files are downloaded you can have this set to general where it will see how many times the install data file is downloaded or specific where it will monitor all the files

7)It is not so much a feature of this program but another program i am going to make to accompany it and that is a program that will automatically generate the install data files so that you can spend your time doing what you want.

If you feel the program could do with some other features then please tell me and also if anyone knows ahow to get rid of and aching little finger and index finger then please post that 2  - Avenger

------------------
Guitar players when they were young played with tennis rackets...do young tennis players practice with guitars??
Hidden Terror Website

Project - Rebellion Homepage
I am Jesus

Offline Slanker

yeah, and it doesn´t feature an exit option  
Here comes my sig... oh finished :D

Offline The Avenger

• Banned
yea but u have to realise it ent finished yet that is why the topic states Under development   and i only gave it you to download the project - rebellion mods  

------------------
Hidden Terror Website

I am Jesus

Offline Slanker

But... er... it doesn´t have an exit option yet  
Here comes my sig... oh finished :D

Offline The Avenger

• Banned
it does now

------------------
Hidden Terror Website

I am Jesus

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
This suggestion brought to you by a hater of QuickTime's inability to save downloaded files locally (at least not very easily...)

I think you should give the option of saving the downloaded package locally in addtion to downloading it. Also, if you don't want to code the resumable portion, offer to display the URL(s) of the file(s) to be downloaded so that it can be pasted into GetRight or something that DOES support resume.

------------------
"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline The Avenger

• Banned
i see where you are going this would be one way that it can be done and so you could have 2 ways or more even..showing the url would be an option available to the people who i am editing the program for. but it is not the coding that bothers me it is finding a new component that will do the download at the momment my program is programmed to work with a specific set of protocals like onprogress and oncomplete changing the component would me i would have to redo this and change all code relating to these procedures or protocals.

Thanks for the sujestion and i will add it as an option for if anyone wants to have it.

------------------
Hidden Terror Website

I am Jesus

Offline The Avenger

• Banned
ok i just wanted to say aswell having a resume option is ok but what about when you are updating the files will become corrupted if they are resumed

------------------
Hidden Terror Website

I am Jesus

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
That's why it should use the CRC - don't ask me how, cause I only know about it from ZIP and ARJ, but if the CRC of the original file that is being resumed is different from the CRC of the (updated) file on the server, the download should start from the beginning.

------------------
"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline The Avenger

• Banned
That is all verywell saying that but i have no idea of how that works what i could do i suppose is work of file size? like also included in the install data file is a list of the exact file sizes?? also the install program is finished well for version 1 i will keep updating it tho and so now all i have to do is make the application to make the ini files and an application to install the files and remove and table files that were already installed to a temporary directory and add a few more features which i have stored in my head which are to complex to type

------------------
Hidden Terror Website

I am Jesus

Starwing

If it checks the version number of the installed file for available updates, why not store the version number of a partially downloaded file and compare it with the version number of the file on the server before resuming the download?  

Offline The Avenger

• Banned
the possibilites are quite endless for checking it so yea i think it can be done but not right now i will add it later because i am still making the other parts of the program so i will do it afterwards

------------------
Hidden Terror Website

I am Jesus

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
stop stepping on my utils
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis