General FreeSpace > FreeSpace Discussion

Macross Multiple Targets Missile Lock

<< < (3/4) > >>

Reprobator:
That sir is interesting!

TwentyPercentCooler:
Wow...good luck, Swifty! You continue to amaze me, along with all the other coders, with your dedication. I'm really hoping to see this make its way to the game soon.

A random but related thought: it might be worth looking into to restrict it to certain ship types as well as certain weapons, like interceptors...it might finally give them a role-defining edge to be able to lock onto entire bomber wings or groups or warheads. Or, Swifty, is there a way to set the max number of targets on a per-ship basis in your implementation? Or is it a hard coded limit?

starlord:
I recon there were several attempts at a robotech/macross mod under freespace! The worst I believe was not to dump the models when this project went under...

-Norbert-:
I think there are bigger problems for any mecha-themed setting than multi-lock. If a Macross mod would be made (or Gundam, or whatever), the mechas would just be oddly shaped fighters, without the ability to move their arms and legs or aim anywhere else but at the retice (which is set to straight forward).
Just search for the Gundam mods for Homeworld to see how stupid it looks to have completely statick mecha models buzzing around with AI intended for fighters...

I also imagine that it would be hard to implement transformations between mecha and fighter shapes (or the "chicken-mode" in case of Valkyries... gerwalk or something... can't remember the exact term for sure).

Don't get me wrong, I too am excided about multi-locking, especially since it can be used for far more than "just" a Macross mod, but I don't hink that multi-lock alone with static models would make for a fun Macross mod.

JGZinv:
There were Macross and Gundam mods... go take a stroll through Game Warden.
Better Robo / Star Dragon headed up the Macross one and he did a lens flare effect between switching out the models to do that.
They were hoping for the model animation scripting system to get better over the years to do more articulation.
The gundam mod had a few models and the staff working on it vanished, probably because they got in over their heads, it was archived.

And yes it was gerwalk mode... not chicken walker... those are AT-STs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version