Author Topic: SVN Commit of the Day/capship command discussion  (Read 65217 times)

Offline Luis Dias

Re: SVN Commit of the Day/capship command discussion
Ah so I'm guessing Axem let you toy with his "Plants vs Zombies" BP mission thingy. That must be fun! :D

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
...Atmospheric combat?

http://youtu.be/st84hazcfMU
Love that track... "A Yellow's hit and trailing smoke!"

But... tank-mounted BEAMS? Battuta, what kind of monster are you creating?!?

I wonder if we'll be getting a new ship class specifically for this kind of CAS. A properly equipped Uriel or Izra'il ought to work, but a purpose-designed ship would be great.

Lastly, about bombs... aren't standard FS bombs a little powerful to be using in atmosphere? (Yes, Yes they are.)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 07:57:42 am by InsaneBaron »
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
BP doesn't recognize the yields listed in legacy FS. They're just too crazy to be true.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Uh, where do they say that?  I was under the impression that yields in FS were embraced, rather than shunned (especially considering how anti-matter warheads of any capacity are going to be orders of magnitude more devastating, and the UEF uses **** tons of them.).

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
The post was years ago, I'm not sure where. Essentially Harbingers and Furies are hilariously overpowered, according to the Tech room only.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
They definitely are, but BP kinda rolls with the canon numbers, in an affable 'everything is ridiculous' way. FreeSpace materials are ridiculous, weapon yields are ridiculous, and when it comes down into an atmosphere, well, let's just kinda...assume that some component of that ridiculous yield is a directional shaped charge...

I'm still kind of into the idea of doing atmospheric variants of certain weapons that create ridiculous explosion glare. And in one of our Act 4 atmo missions we do have at least one detonation that's roughly in scale with a ~Hiroshima detonation - even in a shielded fighter you're in trouble if you're within a kilometer, and you'll suffer major blast out to three.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I'm still kind of into the idea of doing atmospheric variants of certain weapons that create ridiculous explosion glare.
Even if it doesn't wind up in acts 4-5, I'd still like to just see an example video of what it might look like.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
I just wanted to pop in and say how much this thread made my day. I've not lurked HLP since 2013, but I will definitely start checking in more often again. BP means a lot to me and I am glad to have some sort of indication that progress continues at what appears to be a steady pace! Keep on keepin' on. :D

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
I'm still kind of into the idea of doing atmospheric variants of certain weapons that create ridiculous explosion glare.

I'm totally into this idea. If you're going to roll with the canon yields, might as well roll hard.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
a ~Hiroshima detonation
So, basically a FS1 era MX-52.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Aesaar

And there's why "canon" yields are stupid.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
And there's why "canon" yields are stupid.

They're fun. Atmospheric detonations should wipe out everyone.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
a ~Hiroshima detonation

Not particularly - the MX-52 is an antiship weapon and while its raw yield may be comparable, we can expect that yield to be focused into a shaped detonation in order to defeat the target's active and passive defense. It's not going to blow up like an airburst bomb.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
In that case. . .

Holy ****ing armor. Is it degenerate matter? Is it being considered degenerate matter?

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
I kinda want to make a cheap Photoshop of the Atreus & a Solaris nuking each other with missiles while falling towards the Martian surface now. :D

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Falling through Jupiter towards 'hard deck' would be epicly awesome.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
In that case. . .

Holy ****ing armor. Is it degenerate matter? Is it being considered degenerate matter?

The Deimos is explicitly armored in 'collapsed core molybdenum', however you choose to read that.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
a ~Hiroshima detonation

Not particularly - the MX-52 is an antiship weapon and while its raw yield may be comparable, we can expect that yield to be focused into a shaped detonation in order to defeat the target's active and passive defense. It's not going to blow up like an airburst bomb.
Actually, the MX-52 is a swarming, heat-seeking, anti-fighter weapon.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yes, exactly: it's an anti-ship weapon. It attacks armored hard targets. An ATGM or RPG doesn't just kaboom like a Looney Tunes bomb, wasting its blast force in all directions. It produces a directional detonation designed to penetrate. Similarly, a SAM or AAM blows up and hurls a cone of debris meant to intercept the target. The weapon system's raw yield isn't a complete description of its explosive behavior.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
February 8 2014

Trial run on enhanced high-end Federation torpedoes with countermeasures to defeat warship close defenses, including decoy dispensers and armor. Good effect in tests. Accidentally created a torpedo which strikes a target, bursts through the other side, turns around, and reattacks, weaving in and out until target is destroyed.  :shaking: