Author Topic: "Requiem for Detroit"  (Read 13256 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: "Requiem for Detroit"
because i have facebook friends younger than me with kids.  19 and 20 year old people with kids.  They went and made more humans before they even knew if they'd be able to pay for their educations!  downright irresponsible if you ask me.

You may whine and complain about how morals are out of date and religion is the embodiment of stupidity.  But when religion and god played a larger role in peoples lives, you didn't have nearly the percentage of the population reproducing willy nilly.

Really? Because as I recall, marriage used to happen at that age or younger for most people, and if a woman didn't have kids by the time she was 20, there was a problem.

In short: bull****.

Offline iamzack

lol, it's the religious people who get married too young and start popping out babies immediately.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
because i have facebook friends younger than me with kids.  19 and 20 year old people with kids.  They went and made more humans before they even knew if they'd be able to pay for their educations!  downright irresponsible if you ask me.

You may whine and complain about how morals are out of date and religion is the embodiment of stupidity.  But when religion and god played a larger role in peoples lives, you didn't have nearly the percentage of the population reproducing willy nilly.

Really? Because as I recall, marriage used to happen at that age or younger for most people, and if a woman didn't have kids by the time she was 20, there was a problem.

No, because people were entering the workforce at 15 or 16 instead of 25.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

No, because people were entering the workforce at 15 or 16 instead of 25.

Wrong. The 1940s, 1950s and 1960s had the highest teen birth rates of the 20th century. Right now, we are at a major low, possibly an all-time low.

Again, you do not bother to check whether reality matches your notions. You just spout fantasy.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Obviously it isnt black/white, and lots of factors are involved.  There's infant mortality, that business with the workforce, religion, and a host of other things.

In the USA, we expect that our kids will need to be educated in order to have a good future, since all the jobs that don't require education can and probably will be outsourced (or replaced by robots).  We also have access to contraception and abortion, so if we don't want to have a kid, we can just not have one.  

People here who have kids early:
 a) never considered their kid's future.  (universal dumb)
 b) are religious, and were encouraged to have kids early, had the option of contraception removed, were never educated about contraception, couldnt get an abortion when they ****ed up and accidentally had a kid, whatever.  (cultural dumb)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 08:13:31 pm by Turambar »
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It bemuses me that someone could maintain a worldview that can be destroyed by thirty seconds of Google.

Offline Deka1184

• Formerly known as KappaWing

snip

b) are religious, and were encouraged to have kids early, had the option of contraception removed, were never educated about contraception, couldnt get an abortion when they ****ed up and accidentally had a kid, whatever.  (cultural dumb)

This describes my bf's mom to the T. had her first kid at 13, second at 15, and a third one at around 20 or so.... all to her current husband who is 10 years older than she is. Having kids early also sometimes has some interesting psychological side effects. Her maturity has been frozen at a 13 year old level and the way she feels/treats her kids is.... abnormal. Of course I'm sure a lot of this is due to the fact that she was a whore growing up in DETROIT OH LOOK WE ARE BACK ON TOPIC!!!!

;)

Offline Nuclear1

...this thread seriously went from the economic situation in Detroit...to abortion?

Well ****ing done, people. :lol:

All paths converge in GenDisc.

HEY BATTUTA

HEALTHCARE

OBAMA

IRAQ

ABORTION
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Deka1184

...this thread seriously went from the economic situation in Detroit...to abortion?

HEY BATTUTA

HEALTHCARE

OBAMA

IRAQ

ABORTION

HEY NUCLEAR1

CIRCUMCISION

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Wow. That one takes me back. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Deka1184

Who was the guy that got banned over that?

I remember his custom title being "Don Quixote"

I remember it was sad he left he was an amazing modder.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Kazan wasn't banned. He just drifted off.

A Feddie Story

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Obviously it isnt black/white, and lots of factors are involved.  There's infant mortality, that business with the workforce, religion, and a host of other things.

In the USA, we expect that our kids will need to be educated in order to have a good future, since all the jobs that don't require education can and probably will be outsourced (or replaced by robots).  We also have access to contraception and abortion, so if we don't want to have a kid, we can just not have one.  

You wouldn't need on-demand abortion if you didn't stick it in anything with two legs that said "sure, I'll have a snog!"
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline iamzack

on-demand abortion will always be needed, because sometimes pregnancies go wrong.

but i'm sure you mean abortion for cases where the sex was consensual and the pregnancy won't kill the mother. abortion would be less in demand if contraception were not only widely and cheaply available, but also not condemned by most religions.

but beyond that, a woman has the right to not allow the fetus possession of her organs at any time. it is her body, and no one has the right to be inside of it if she doesn't want them there. (however, i probably need to say that if the fetus can be saved, then we should try to do that. if it can't, too bad for it.)
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Wow. That one takes me back. :P

You know, one time we blew up a Krogan circumcision clinic. While I lost my whole team I made out like a guddam bandit.

Sorry... couldn't resist...
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

You wouldn't need on-demand abortion if you didn't stick it in anything with two legs that said "sure, I'll have a snog!"

But because teen pregnancy rates are down over the past few decades, this is happening

LESS THAN EVER

Do you get that?

Offline Nuclear1

HEY BATTUTA

HEALTHCARE

OBAMA

IRAQ

ABORTION

HEY NUCLEAR1

CIRCUMCISION

ANTI-CIRCUMCISION RAGE

CONTROVERSIAL MONKEYING
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

HEY BATTUTA

HEALTHCARE

OBAMA

IRAQ

ABORTION

HEY NUCLEAR1

CIRCUMCISION

ANTI-CIRCUMCISION RAGE

CONTROVERSIAL MONKEYING

EXASPERATED LAMENTATION ON THE STATE OF THE THREAD AS A WHOLE.

RANDOM EXPRESSION OF AMUSEMENT AT LENGTH OF QUOTE CHAIN AND COMPLETE NON-RELATION TO ORIGINAL QUOTE.

Offline Nuclear1

SUGGESTION THAT NUCLEAR1 BE MONKEYED FOR A DAY FOR REVIVING THIS DAMN MEME AGAIN

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
VEHEMENT DISAGREEMENT.

AMUSEMENT AT SELFMONKEYING.

A Feddie Story