Author Topic: HLP's Family Recipes (Resurrected)  (Read 15249 times)

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
HLP's Family Recipes (Resurrected)
Here you can post your family recipes if you're willing to share them.

--- Jack Rogers Stew ---
Ingredients
  • 12lbs beef
  • 4 hens
  • 4lbs dried butter beans
  • 4lbs green butter beans
  • 6lbs onions
  • 20qt tomatoes
  • 4 cans creamed corn (large)
  • 4 cans whole corn (large)
  • 20lbs potatoes
  • 2lbs margarine
  • 2 cups sugar
  • Add salt, pepper, red pepper, and chili powder for flavoring

Notes
  • all meats are cooked beforehand
  • Add stuff in, wait till it cooks down, add more stuff in.
  • We cook ours outside in a big 12 gallon pot over a wood fire.
  • Crush tomatoes beforehand
  • Soak beans in refrigerator or else they'll sour
  • We don't add any water to the pot. We just use the broth from the beef and chicken.
  • Makes about 48 quarts.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 06:11:49 pm by MP-Ryan »

Offline Lorric

Unfortunately I don't have anything to add, but it's a nice idea, a nice change of pace topic, and might allow people to experience some nice new things if people post in it.

But those ingredients, how many people are you feeding with that? That's an immense amount of food! Is it for a big family get-together or something?

Holy beef, Mamba, that's a big batch o' stew there! How many does that feed, and for how long?

I don't have many "family" recipes. There's a few that I've gotten from my mom, a few that anybody can figure out (spaghetti), and a few that I've gotten off the internet and tweaked to my needs. I'll share when I have time.

Offline FlamingCobra

It's not for a family get together, but that'd be great. It makes 48 quarts. We get styrofoam quart containers and freeze it and eat it over the course of the year. We have a big chest freezer for that purpose.

But yeah it is a lot of food. And it gets thick. We use a big boat paddle to stir it.

Offline Lorric

Oh. You must have a lot of extra storage space for frozen food. Thanks.

EDIT: Then you told me anyway. :)

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
It's not for a family get together, but that'd be great. It makes 48 quarts. We get styrofoam quart containers and freeze it and eat it over the course of the year. We have a big chest freezer for that purpose.

But yeah it is a lot of food. And it gets thick. We use a big boat paddle to stir it.

Over the course of the year?

Jesus
"No"

Offline FlamingCobra

Well we don't eat it every day. And there are only three of us. Well two of them now that I'm going to be at college for about half the year for the next 4 years.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
THIS IS GOOD THREAD

POSTING SO I REMEMBER TO ADD TO IT LATER.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
newman should totally post his Bolognaise recipe, it's the ****.

As for me, well, I got one that is very simple but really delicious and can serve as a good base for experimentation. It's called:

The Cream Chicken

What you need:
1. Fresh chicken, without innards. Skin must be present. (In a pinch, a frozen chicken can be used as well, but it needs to be defrosted, and the taste is not quite the same.
2. Some cream. I am usually using about half a litre.
3. Pepper, Salt.
4. Rice.

Cooking the thing:
1. Salt and Pepper the chicken. I would recommend to go light on the salt, as using too much will make this whole thing quite unpalatable.
2. Put chicken in a baking dish with a lid, together with some oil or margarine.
3. Heat oven to 200 degrees C.
4. Insert baking dish. Let it roast for 20 Minutes or so.
5. After 20 Minutes, add the cream by pouring it over the bird.
6. After a further 20 Minutes, take the lid off to let the chicken skin get brown and crispy.
7. Let the bird burn for another 20 minutes or so, during which you should start making the rice.

It's simple, tasty, and all about the chicken taste.
Variants I have personally tried and approved of this basically are about ****ing around with spices. Some rosemary is pretty cool. One could also conceivably add mushrooms and black pepper corns to the sauce to improve it.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
1. Get random convenience food
2. Shove it into microwave and punch in 3 mins
3. Eat
:D

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Oh ho, on this topic I will share.

Home-made "Shake'NBake" Chicken Parmigiana and Rice

Ingredients:
-Three 8 oz Chicken Breasts
-3/4 cup bread crumbs
-3/4 cup ground parmesan cheese
-1 tsp rosemary
-1 tsp seasoning salt
-1/2 tsp ground black pepper
-2 eggs
-2 cups brown rice
-4 tsp or 2 sachets of powdered Chicken stock and 4 cups water (or liquid stock equivalent)
-1 tbsp butter or margarine

Prep Time:  About 10 minutes.
Cook Time:  About 25 minutes.

Instructions:

-Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (sorry, even Canada still uses Fahrenheit on our ovens).
-Spray a large flat baking sheet with cooking spray or rub with olive or canola oil.
-Drain the whites from the eggs into a small bowl.  Mix with a fork.
-Add bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, rosemary, seasoning salt, and pepper into another bowl and mix throroughly.
-Slice chicken breasts into strips 1.5-2 inches wide and 3-4 inches long.  You should get about 4 strips per breast.
-Dip each chicken strip in the egg white, then roll in the bread crumb mixture.  Coat it thoroughly.
-Place each strip on the baking sheet.  Chicken doesn't expand when it cooks, so you can place the pieces quite close together.
-Place the loaded sheet into the oven and set a timer for 10 minutes.
-Melt the butter/margarine in a frying pan on the stovetop with the burner on medium-high heat.
-Add the rice.
-Heat the rice, stirring continuously to coat in margarine.  You will hear the rice start to "pop" as it heats.
-Once the rice has started to make popping sounds, add 4 cups of water+ chicken stock powder or 4 cups of liquid chicken stock.
-Cook rice on medium heat for about 20 minutes.
-When the oven timer beeps, flip the chicken strips over and then bake for another 10 minutes.  Chicken should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F (23 minutes at 375 is safe if you don't have a meat thermometer, but possibly slightly overdone)

Serve chicken on a bed of rice with a side salad (we like spinach+tomatoes+red pepper+carrots).

Feeds 4 adults.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I would totally add something here but I've kinda stopped doing things by recipes. Following the thread with great interest though, in case something comes to mind I'll post it.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Insalata Caprese

1. Slice tomatoes, arrange on plate
2. Slice mozzarella cheese, arrange on tomatoes
3. Pick fresh basil leaves, arrange on mozzarella (the 'fresh' part is important)
4. Sprinkle with a little olive oil
5. Profit! Possibly the best taste/effort ratio of any up-front/entree anywhere :)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I should dig up the family recipe for baked beans.  Kicks the hell out of any canned crap out there.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I tend not to cook by recipes too much but this is a simple one that goes down with with our kids

Tomato and Bacon Pasta
Amounts show Feeds our youngish Young family of 4 or about 3 adults

Ingredients
(note amounts are rough/semi-educated guesses as I tend to eyeball them)
250 grams dried pasta

800 grams chopped tomato
dessert spoon Tomato Puree
500 grams of bacon (my preference is sliced rindless smoked)
Optional
1 mid sized onion or equivalent of shallots
herbs for seasoning such as oregano and basil
cheese

Pans
1x 10.25" / 26 cm Wok (I generally prefer Woks to skillet/frying pans for most cooking)
1x 7.5" / 19 cm saucepan
(Note if you use a skillet/frying pan instead of the Wok then i recommend will need a large saucepan to follow the last step unless you want to serve separately)

Method
  • Fill saucepan with enough water to cover the pasta and place on high heat to start boiling
  • Roughly Chop the Bacon into smallish pieces, perhaps 1-2 cm
  • Place the Wok on a high heat and place the bacon inside
     - (I tend to dry fry the bacon but if you want to use a little oil here there is no problem with that)
     - (if you want onion in the dish I would recommend frying it at this point either with the bacon or in a separate pan and introduce along with the next step)
  • Once the bacon has cooked reduce the heat to moderate to high heat (we use 4 on the scale to 6 on our cooker) introduce the chopped tomato and tomato puree
     - (If using herbs this would be the best time to introduce them)
  • Once the saucepan starts to boil add the pasta
  • Stir the bacon pasta occasionally to prevent sticking
  • Once the Pasta is *just* cooked to your liking drain it off and add to the tomato bacon
  • stir the mixture for a couple more minutes under a gentle to moderate heat to allow the tomato to cover the pasta
  • Serve and if desired grate over some cheese to taste

If you want, the flavour of the tomato bacon will mature if prepared a little in advance, especially with herbs in the mix, in this case leave preparing the pasta until closer to serving so that it is fresh.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Here's one I used to cook even before I went to China.

Wuhan Hot & Dry Noodles (Re Gan Mian).

120g (4 oz) cooked egg noodles
1 scallion/spring onion, finely chopped
3 tbsp corriander leaf, finely chopped
1 tsp sesame oil, extra
1/2 tsp toasted sesame seeds (optional)
1 tbsp Chinese sesame paste OR 1 tbsp peanut butter
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
3/4 tsp Chinese black vinegar (or to taste)
1/2 tsp sugar
A pinch of salt, to taste
1 tsp chilli oil (or to taste)
1/3 cup hot water

Method

Bring a large pot of water together with a 1/2 tsp salt to the boil. Place noodles in the boiling water and cook for 5 minutes or until just cooked.
    In the meantime, combine the sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix well to form a paste.
    Once noodles are cooked, pour the sauce mixture over the noodles. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds, chopped scallions, and corriander. Serve immediately.

It's ridiculously easy to make it and from start to finish takes only about 5-6 minutes. Unfortunately I haven't ever been able to make it taste as good as the stuff from the noodle shops in Wuhan yet.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline FlamingCobra

MP-Ryan, I showed my best friend's mom your recipe and she cooked it. Long story short she doubled your recipe (there were five people to feed in total) and I ate too much. It was really good though.

I have one similar to MP-Ryan's. It's quite a bit easier, but I get the feeling it's not quite as good...

½ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or equivalent chicken parts of your choice)
4 tsp italian seasoned bread crumbs

Combine mayo and cheese, spread over chicken. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake at 425 degrees F for 20 minutes.

And now, something I got online and have made to great effect:

Japanese Curry Rice

Roux:
3 Tbs butter
1/4 Cups flour
2 Tbs curry powder or garam masala
1/2 tsp cayenne or red pepper (add less if you want it mild or more if you want it spicy)
fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 Tbs ketchup (or tomato paste)
1 Tbs tonkatsu, worcestershire, or soy sauce
1 tsp garlic

Curry:
2 tsp oil
2 large onions sliced thin
2 lbs chicken cleaned and cut into chunks (you could also use beef, shrimp, tofu, or extra vegetables)
2 carrots cut into chunks
4 C water
2 large potatoes cut into large chunks
2 tsp kosher salt (use less if you use regular salt)
1 tsp curry poweder or garam masala
1/2 C peas

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium low heat. Brown the meat or tofu and add the onions.
Add the carrots and the water, then bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium and add the potatoes, salt and garam masala. Simmer for about 30 minutes or until you can pass a fork through the carrots and potatoes and the meat is tender.

For the roux, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium low heat. Add the flour and garam masala, stirring until you have a thick paste. Add the cayenne pepper, some fresh ground black pepper, the ketchup and tonkatsu sauce and combine. Continue to cook until the paste starts crumbling. Remove from heat and set aside until the meat and veggies are ready.

Ladle or pour about 2 cups of broth from the meat and vegetables into the roux, then whisk until smooth. Pour this mixture back into the other pot and gently stir until thickened. Add the peas and heat through.
Serve over rice or noodles.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
MP-Ryan, I showed my best friend's mom your recipe and she cooked it. Long story short she doubled your recipe (there were five people to feed in total) and I ate too much. It was really good though.

My wife created it; I'll pass along the compliment.  Thanks!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Mac'n'Cheese
The way it was meant to be made

Get yourselves a can or two of tomato soup paste (personally use Campbell's), grate a helluva lot of cheddar (No real specific amount, use as much as you see fit) and a box of your select macaroni pasta (as much as you figure you want to make) and a casserole dish.

Cook that macaroni to what you want it to be, preheat that oven to 400F, and combine all of those ingredients in the casserole dish in portions of thirds. Makes for easier mixing as opposed to putting it all in at once.

Then, throw it in the oven for 30-45 minutes after sprinkling parmesan cheese (generously) over the top

Feel free to add meats and whatever the crap to the mixture (precooked meats that is) for additional flavour

Then eat the **** out of it
"No"