Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 588992 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
Answer the call some year
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Answer the call some year

I already hang up, because the telephone costs were too high because i was placed on hold for too long  :D
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Aesaar

I'm really enjoying the citizen response:

You just don't understand game development, your honor!

The tears if CIG lose are going to be incredible.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 12:27:06 am by Aesaar »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I like the older judges.  They don't get mired in irrelevant details.    Key facts.

-They promised something by a certain date.

-Failed to deliver.

-Changed terms.

-Continued to fail.

-Changed terms again.

Guess what the judge will hopefully focus on.....hopefully.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Meme-while EvE just had its largest battle earlier this month at X47L-Q.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
I rocked faces in that battle. Over here Eve-ing it up while other people wait for a game maybe.

Offline Mikes

Funny fact. Star Citizen as promised was never gonna be anything like Eve.

And Star Citizen as it is is not gonna be anything (much). :P

Just wondering what all the Eve-ers ever saw in the game in the first place or why it keeps being compared or even mentioned in the same sentence.

Is it because "space"? But if it's all about "space" could as well play Freespace instead of Eve, because Freespace has, you know, "gameplay".  :lol:

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
I think SC became attractive to the Eve crowd when it started to become DCS world in space. Eve players prefer monotony and minutiae over actual fun. :)

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I think SC became attractive to the Eve crowd when it started to become DCS world in space. Eve players prefer monotony and minutiae over actual fun. :)
I don't think so, Eve players like minutiae that can be put on a spreadsheet, DCS is another kind of beast in that regard.

Jokes, aside: isn't Eve one of those games that is controlled a bit like a RTS/4x (that is, mouse and a lot of menus)? Because it doesn't seem you have direct control of the ships there.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Having played the demo years ago, it is yes. Nothing wrong with that if you enjoy it of course.

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
I don't think so, Eve players like minutiae that can be put on a spreadsheet, DCS is another kind of beast in that regard.

Jokes, aside: isn't Eve one of those games that is controlled a bit like a RTS/4x (that is, mouse and a lot of menus)? Because it doesn't seem you have direct control of the ships there.

You can manually pilot with WASD now, and have been able to double-click a point in space to head in that direction for some time.

Since most of the massive battles are in the cancer that is capital ships, it doesn't get a whole lot of mileage, but your interceptor and hictor pilots better know to manually change orbits that way.

Just so this isn't completely off-topic, I am absolutely amazed by the number of sudden armchair lawyers in the legions of ****izens.

And when I say "amazed" what I really mean is "**** it, let the nukes fly, we have failed."

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
To be fair, it will teach all the people who have just been claiming that the ships are just a donation to help with developing the game not to bull****. "You spent $27,000 on ships and then got owned by someone in the starting fighter?"
Or consider it another, even worse way: what if this means that as the fighter pilot who doesn't have $27,000 to spend on imaginary spaceships, you have to take orders from the guy who did, because he's got the command ship? You give your life away working a thankless job for a rich jerk in real life, why not video games too?

If there's no competition it's not a game.  It's a boredom simulator.

This is not necessarily true, though a military spaceship mumorpeger is probably not a good place to find a relaxing, non-competitive good time.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
As much as I love free space and wing commander.  I do worry about those that live in virtuality.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Lorric

Afaik, Eve slows down to a very slow crawl in these mega battles. I wonder if players of a game like Star Citizen / Elite Dangerous would be able to enjoy playing under similar conditions? The dogfighting would become pinpoint precise in the super slo-mo, but it would be physically taxing on your hands maintaining that precision for hours on end. The battles would be epic if they could be later replayed and viewed in real time with everyone flying like an ace in colossal battles.

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
Afaik, Eve slows down to a very slow crawl in these mega battles. I wonder if players of a game like Star Citizen / Elite Dangerous would be able to enjoy playing under similar conditions? The dogfighting would become pinpoint precise in the super slo-mo, but it would be physically taxing on your hands maintaining that precision for hours on end. The battles would be epic if they could be later replayed and viewed in real time with everyone flying like an ace in colossal battles.

The problem is that the EVE solution of time dilation would be utterly unacceptable to Lord Croberts, given what we've seen of his mentality in the past. I do not expect him to allow a solution like that unless his coders slip him some roofies and get him to agree to it.  :drevil:

It's fun to take the piss out of Star Citizen, but are there any new actual space sim action light simulations in the pipeline currently?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

I can't see the generation who demand 60fps being willing to accept 2 fps.

Eve can get away with slowing things down because of the kind of game it is.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
It's fun to take the piss out of Star Citizen, but are there any new actual space sim action light simulations in the pipeline currently?

There is nothing. I would be much more critical towards Star Citizen if there were at least some examples of a similar concept but better executed. As things stand currently, in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Aesaar

There is nothing. I would be much more critical towards Star Citizen if there were at least some examples of a similar concept but better executed. As things stand currently, in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Bull****.  You'd just move the goalposts to make sure Star Citizen is the only game you consider to be in contention.

Because "similar concept but better executed" is exactly what Elite Dangerous is.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 03:04:55 pm by Aesaar »

In the land of the blind, Maslo plucked out both of his eyeballs.  He wasn't really using them for anything, so traded them in for more space Winnebagos.