Poll

Which one is better?

System Shock 2
Deus Ex

Author Topic: System Shock 2 or Deus Ex?  (Read 7403 times)

Offline Roanoke

Re: System Shock 2 or Deus Ex?
I think the one thing that lets SS2 down is the weapons. The Assault Rifle is seriously powerful.

Agreed.  Along those lines, try Project Snowblind if you haven't.  I hear it was originally going to be in the Deus Ex storyline as well.  Felt kinda deja vu, almost like returning to a childhood homeland only to find they'd paved over most of the favorite parks.

I have heard of that game but haven't gotten around to trying it. I'm planning to pick it up on ebay at some point in the summer.

A solid shooter but you'd not have guessed the DX link unless someone had told you.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Man these games are amazing. I just played both of them again.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
No way you could play through Deus Ex that fast. It's like an 80 hour game!
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Roanoke

I originally had a Geforce 3 when it came out. I quickly realized that it was hopeless to try playing at all with that. :p I ended up going through four hardware configurations before it ran well.

Along with Thief3, they were the Big 3tm I was going to upgrade my PC for. I eventually got them on Xbox and was glad I hadn't bothered.  :no:

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator

The speedrun record is a little over two hours, so it is possible. But yes, this is not the kind of game you want to rush through. It typically takes me about 40-50 hours to beat if I do all the side quests, read all emails and so on.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 04:35:53 pm by CP5670 »

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

Deus Ex was over three days with CIV 3 breaks here and there. You figure 6-9 hours each day, and thats about 23 hours. Semi in-depth. (I read about half the e-mails, books, and newspapers, most of the sidequests, etc). And if you rush Deus Ex, your killing it. You can't rush this game and have it be good.

Also, which ending did you guys choose?

EDIT: Let me re-phrase: What ending do you guys support the most? (I think everyone has done all three endings at some point. I sure don't play the entire game over again just to have the same ending)

I think the illuminati ending was the best. Of course, there are some times when I just say "screw you all, I'm blowing this place up".
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 10:36:11 pm by thesizzler »

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
I saved near the end and tried all 3. :p
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline diceman111

• Keep on playing Glottis, keep on playing.....
Ok I just played thorugh Deus Ex and I must say it was better then Invisible war if nothing else the interface was alot better in Deus Ex.

I ran through all three endings I like the Illuminati ending the most but if you want do it acording to how it they say it happend in Invisible war you should merge with Helios.

Other than that i would really like a Deus Ex 3 especially if they take the atmosphere of the first game and slap it into a new Graphics Engine.

Also in Invisible war how many endings are there have only found 4
Flames Of War Chapter III - http://web.comhem.se/~u35702611

"If at first you don't succeed try a bigger thermonuclear weapon" - My philosophy on life

"I dont care if we smack it into her or smack it out of her just aslong as there's smacking invovled" - Max from Sam & Max Situation Comedy

I live in Sweden and before anybody ask NO we do not have polar bears walking on our streets thats Norway, we have penguins (Red ones with blue dots)

(These messages was brought to you by the people from DFWD (Diceman For World Domination))

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Best ending = Helios.......... :mad2:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
Regarding Project Snowblind, it's a decent, rather good shooter that had the misfortune of selling well because it cam out about three months after Halo 2, so everybody was still going nuts for that. 

It's not the best game, but a decent one in it's own right.  You'll be pleasantly suprised.  Oh, and apparently it runs on the PS2 better than the X-Box version did, so beware. 

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Ok I just played thorugh Deus Ex and I must say it was better then Invisible war if nothing else the interface was alot better in Deus Ex.

I ran through all three endings I like the Illuminati ending the most but if you want do it acording to how it they say it happend in Invisible war you should merge with Helios.

Other than that i would really like a Deus Ex 3 especially if they take the atmosphere of the first game and slap it into a new Graphics Engine.

Also in Invisible war how many endings are there have only found 4

Don't let InvW bully you into choosing an ending that you don't want to choose.

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
Also, I've never played either on these games.  Or Total Annialation.   I fail.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator

Deus Ex was over three days with CIV 3 breaks here and there. You figure 6-9 hours each day, and thats about 23 hours. Semi in-depth. (I read about half the e-mails, books, and newspapers, most of the sidequests, etc). And if you rush Deus Ex, your killing it. You can't rush this game and have it be good.

Also, which ending did you guys choose?

EDIT: Let me re-phrase: What ending do you guys support the most? (I think everyone has done all three endings at some point. I sure don't play the entire game over again just to have the same ending)

I think the illuminati ending was the best. Of course, there are some times when I just say "screw you all, I'm blowing this place up".

I like the Helios one. I did that the first time I played. On subsequent playthroughs, I have always saved at a point closest to all three endings, and then gone through all of them.

In DXIW, I took the Omar one after doing the same thing first.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

:lol:

You should play DX and SS2. TA is okay, but the AI sucks. If you do, play them on the hardest difficulty first, and read/listen to EVERYTHING!!! Trust me! You want to make the most out of playing a game for the first time!!

Offline diceman111

• Keep on playing Glottis, keep on playing.....

Asfor Total Anhillation play Supreme Commander instead, its basiclly TA 2

/Dice
Flames Of War Chapter III - http://web.comhem.se/~u35702611

"If at first you don't succeed try a bigger thermonuclear weapon" - My philosophy on life

"I dont care if we smack it into her or smack it out of her just aslong as there's smacking invovled" - Max from Sam & Max Situation Comedy

I live in Sweden and before anybody ask NO we do not have polar bears walking on our streets thats Norway, we have penguins (Red ones with blue dots)

(These messages was brought to you by the people from DFWD (Diceman For World Domination))

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

/Dice

precisely the reason why you should play TA first.

Offline Cyker

/Dice

precisely the reason why you should play TA first.
Also, TA doesn't require a super computer to run in a non-ugly jerky way :)

The speedrun record is a little over two hours, so it is possible. But yes, this is not the kind of game you want to rush through. It typically takes me about 40-50 hours to beat if I do all the side quests, read all emails and so on.

Current speedrun record is 43 minutes 20 seconds :D

There's a torrent of the run at http://speeddemosarchive.com/

The runner uses some incredible tricks and I haven't seen so much sequence breaking since the Fallout, Half-Life and original Quake-Done-Quick speed runs!!

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Damn, I wander away for a few weeks and miss an SS2/DX thread!

Since nobody's mentioned it yet, I highly recommend anyone playing SS2 these days apply the SHTUP texture upgrade.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.