Author Topic: CPR for GTF Valkyrie  (Read 10185 times)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Re: CPR for GTF Valkyrie
As far as I can reckon, I already posted a shiplab screenie about the Angel... and Woomeister uses the textures on his cockpitted Angel and Valkyrie on this thread.

EDIT: Link fixed.

Anyway, I'm not on my own computer as I'm staying at my parents' until about 20th August, so I can't really give anything but text right now. I would have to give this comp's FSOpen installation a massive overhaul (like grabbing the newest MediaVP's, FSPort and latest build), and then I would need to solve all ATI related problems on this PC, which I just can't be bothered to do just now. ;)

However, feel free to FRED a mission with the upgraded Angel and take all the screenies you wish.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Oh..Sweet Peppers,  :eek2:
That is truly amazing work, Why was this not brought to my attention sooner........
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Am I the only one who thinks it looks grainy and paper-like?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline neoterran

Did you see what it looked like before ?
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
No. Ive never ever seen what the Valk looked like. Ive never even played FS1 or FS2.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
:jaw: USe sarcasm tags in future :lol:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline neoterran

Well, if you can do better, why don't you make a new set of textures for both, and inject some positivity into this forum, instead of posting off the cuff negative comments.

I think the maps look great for a simple scan and pencil job, and they certainly make playing with valks and angels more immersive.
Chief Grognard.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Well, if you can do better, why don't you make a new set of textures for both, and inject some positivity into this forum, instead of posting off the cuff negative comments.

I think the maps look great for a simple scan and pencil job, and they certainly make playing with valks and angels more immersive.

Oh, I see. Because I disagree with the rest of the flock, Im "off the cuff" and "negative." And because I havent the time nor expertise to do the job proper justice, I'm being overly critical and should just bite my tongue. Point taken.

I see nothing "immersive" about the mapjob quite frankly. The wings look like they've been in a hailstorm for the last few months, and there's just no feeling that this ship is even made of metal, when looking at the screens. It looks like it's paper. Im sorry if my opinion clashes with yours. I'll buy ye an ice cream.

Offline neoterran

The "negative comments" is not referring to your opinion, obviously, but this nasty sarcasm : "No. Ive never ever seen what the Valk looked like. Ive never even played FS1 or FS2."

There's just no need to come off like that. I guess since you've been around so long and you are so self important in all the other threads you post in maybe you don't even realize how jarring it is to have to read something like that.
Chief Grognard.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
@ Ship Maker, can you export it as DXF from Sketchup, then import into TS?

The cubic mapping would really help i think....
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
The "negative comments" is not referring to your opinion, obviously, but this nasty sarcasm : "No. Ive never ever seen what the Valk looked like. Ive never even played FS1 or FS2."

There's just no need to come off like that. I guess since you've been around so long and you are so self important in all the other threads you post in maybe you don't even realize how jarring it is to have to read something like that.
Its called sarcasm. Just as you asking me if Ive ever seen the Valk prior to now is snippy and condescending, so was my response. Same tone, same level.

How am I "self important"? I havent done anything for FS in over a year, aside from post the odd sarcastic comment. Do you mean in the threads in GenFS and Modding, where I'm moderating? So... being a moderator makes me have this huge ego? Im just trying to understand what you're saying. I disagreed with everyone on how great an improvement it was, you sarcastically accuse me of not having seen said ship, I reply equally sarcastically, and suddenly Im huffy and negative?

Offline neoterran

Whatever, i don't want to turn this thread into a flame war. You're right, I'm wrong. Happy ?
Chief Grognard.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
No. Im not. I offered my opinion, and it was in contrast to yours.
There wasnt going to be flaming.

Offline neoterran

:jaw: USe sarcasm tags in future :lol:

Agreed. I'm gonna start using them when I actually intend sarcasm now, <sarcasm>since some members don't seem to realize what's sarcastic and what isn't</sarcasm>
Chief Grognard.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
<sarcasm>Or perhaps some members dont realize they're being sarcastic</sarcasm>

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I rather like the fact that _someone_ has tackled the Valkyrie. Granted, it's in need of some HT&L work (of which there are a score or more other ships that need it as well and only far too few people who can actually do it).

And yes, it probably _is_ going to look papery. He said he printed it out, sketched it up and scanned it back in. Personally, I might have just done it in Photoshop, but I don't have Photoshop. And if I did, I would choose to do a different ship because I would not want even the impression of nabbing off with somone elses work.

Over all, I like the improvments that occur to the light map. I think it makes the Valkyrie a little more live and the whole "paper" feel to the look just doesn't matter when you've got 5 on your arse and you're knocking them off. It atleast looks good and we all have to start somewhere. I hope Herra Tohtori continues and improves to bring more skill to other ships that could use a little attention to detail.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
...and if you didn't have Photoshop you could use the GIMP...

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Oh come on people.  :lol: I have no problem with negative criticism, why should you have?

Raa, I completely agree with you; it does look like it's paper, because, frankly, it is paper. The reason for this is that I made these textures by printing the low-res textures, made them a bit better with a pencil, then scanned it; hence the graininess.

I have yet to figure out how to make good-looking textures with computer, and this solution had the best quality versus time -ratio (ie. I could have meddled something up with GIMP, but the results might not have been all that more spectacular, and I would have to have used much more time, which was really not a valid option at the time... :p

As I said, I'm fully aware of the fact that it looks like paper. But, in my opinion it stilllooks at least some amount better than the old textures. I have no illusions of being a grand texture artist, I just simply got a bit fed up with the hideous original textures and, with my limited skillz, made something that made the ship look a bit better in my eyes. Then there's also the thread name - this is CPR. These are not really meant as anything final, because they are made fast and they look like paper, as Raa said. Like real CPR, these textures are not meant to be used forever. Eventually someone will make a HTL Valkyrie and Angel, and I sincerely hope that they don't use these textures. If anyone here has some spare time, feel free to make new high-res valkyrie texture; I can say I won't be feeling offended in any way by that. Mainly because then I would be able to use those even better textures too.  :D

<stating obvious>
But, if you like these textures, use them; if you like the old textures better, use them... it's as simple as that.  :p
</stating obvious>

Anyway, thanks for criticism and support!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 10:40:47 am by Herra Tohtori »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Yarr, wasnt trying to be discouraging... its just there's this general idea on the internet that if someone is critiqueing something they're being hostile and rude.  If I get time, I may have a go at going over them on my tabletpc and seeing what I can do to lessen the paper look, but Im not obligating myself to anything.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
"not obligating myself" psh. :p
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta