Author Topic: feature suggestion: joystick response curves  (Read 9907 times)

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
Re: feature suggestion: joystick response curves
A linear "curve" that tops out a bit early (perhaps as a setting?) would be enough for me. The idea is that smaller movements are finer adjustments, wider movements are general adjustments, and that ANY time you bury the stick that you'll have an extreme adjustment. Sort of like flying an actual airplane; if you jerk the yoke or the stick hard to the right, you WILL bank hard to the right. Since Logitech sticks (at a minimum) have trouble staying entirely accurate, it'd be helping out I think.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Sounds like you want HT's first diagram then.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
here's how LOMAC works.  deadzone is just like normal, shift is mostly for tweaking aging sticks rather than tuning input response.

default setting

linear (with deadzone)

extreme curving

probably about an appropriate level for FS. (user preference though) 

the main purpose of having this though is to be adjustable, not that everyone should use curved response.  i realize it will likely not be as controllable as this, but even a few step levels of adjustment would help for fine aiming with a joystick.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
All the curves seem to be x ^ n type, seemingly from x^1 to x^10
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Recall that HT's were only for the positive side of an axis, these seem to cover the negative to the positive.  Just in case anyone doesn't realize that.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
my joystick is fairly linear so i usually just use a flat curve in fs and let the ch profile adjust the gain.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
on the subject of inputs, how about adding the ability to invert the mouse axis by itself?  occasionally i end up using the mouse for fine aiming, but the pitch is backward for me.  i find forward mouse = pitch up more intuitive.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Sounds like you've been playing too many shooters, Klaus!
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Amen.  :D

Offline SparK

or Tachyon

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
id just like to say two words

input overhaul
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

input overhaul

That's about as useful as a chocolate teapot. Unless you can give us more information, we can't act on it. What do you want to see?
STRONGTEA. Why can't the x86 be sane?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I know taylor talked about a complete overhaul ages ago, although I think he mentioned something about it being tied up with rewriting the pilot file code.  Besides the 8-way hat switch support mentioned in the other thread, something that I think would be useful for a lot of people is support for more than one controller simultaneously; as it stands, you have to resort to outside programs like PPJoy to get everything working right.  I know a few people have mentioned reverse-thruster support as well.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me

input overhaul

That's about as useful as a chocolate teapot. Unless you can give us more information, we can't act on it. What do you want to see?

1: support for more than one joystick
2: separate mouse and joystick bindings (no mixing joystick x and y with mouse x and y)
3: more axis commands (lateral thrusters, vertical thrusters, reverse thrusters, view commands (retail snap, pan snap, relative pan, absolute pan, slew, ect))
4: make it trivial to add more key or axis commands as theyre needed in the future (from c or possibly scripting)
5: ability for scripting to post custom commands to the binding options screen, and reading of these options from scripting
6: config import/export from text file
7: advanced mouse options (privateer style, freelancer style, or standard modes)
8: advanced keyboard axes with custom ramping rate settings

and many more
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 09:31:54 am by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Some controls that differ from available in retail should be masked by default and unmaskable by mods, if they could possibly unbalance the missions by allowing them.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
The heading is controlled from the mouse cursor, leaving the keyboard for lateral/thrust/brakes commands, this has proved to be very easy way of controlling a ship on other games (for me at least).
el hombre vicio...

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i'm sure that many people like it the way it is.  we are just asking for the option of changing it, not forcing it changed.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
the point is you can configure it whatever way you want from the existing options screen. default controls would not be changed, new functions would just be added to the list. a good example is the controversial way the view command has been changed since trackir support was added. in retail when you used a view command, your view would instantly change, but now the camera pans to that angle over the course of a few fractions of a second. so you provide one set of view commands for people who like the classic meathod, another for people who like the new setup, people who have a trackir can unbind them all and use the keys elsewhere. people with extra joystick axes could use relative or absolute view axis commands. it s kinda like how things are done in most flight sims, offer more functions than you need, and let the player decide how to configure their controls.

Some controls that differ from available in retail should be masked by default and unmaskable by mods, if they could possibly unbalance the missions by allowing them.

this is a fairly good idea. a mod that doesnt use shields for example, wouldnt need shield commands. so there should be some option for modders to hide those commands to avoid confusing the player. perhaps a controls.tbl. you could exclude, rename, or add commands and type with this table. say a mod wants to call afterburners boosters, does not use shields, and has a vertical thrust axis would use something like this  sort of like:

$command: afterbutner
+group: ship
+type: button
+rename: fire booster

$command: equalize shield
+group: misc
+type: button
+remove:

$command: vertical thrust
+group: ship
+type: axis
+min value: 0
+max value: 1
+create:

the first two act on existing commands, the last is a custom command that would show up in the customize controls screen, and its state would be available under scripting (io.Controls["control name"]) or from the mission (commands utilized through the events system). if the new command is an axis, a min and max can be defined, raw joystick data is scaled to the specified range. group and type could probably be omitted on controls that are already in the menu, perhaps you could also move a command to another group with the group option. another command that would be useful is +default: "name of default key,button,or,axis". as it becomes more and more possible for mods to implement custom game functions, a more intuitive way to bind controls becomes necessary for those features.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 02:52:00 am by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yup, I've been pondering and discussing this stuff with some people, since it looked like we might be able to expand the hardcoded controls after all.  I realized we need to find a way to allow mods to customize what's available, and extending this to existing controls would also be nice, as I know there's a couple retail ones FotG won't need already.