Author Topic: semi-sub-official hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!  (Read 146710 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: semi-sub-offitial hlp super happy descent 2 mu
did everyone update to the new version?
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline karx11erx

• D2X-XL and DLE-XP coder
    • Descent 2 & D2X-XL
Re: semi-sub-offitial hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!
Oh yeah, I wish to thank the folks who set this up, Ulala for running the game so much so that others can enjoy playing it, and the others for playing so that I could finally get to play with real Descent fans.  Thank you! :)
And who thanks me for the countless hours of work I have sunk into this project  :doubt: ... bad world ... :p

Hey, did you notice that I have a donations page? :D

The countless Mac users would appreciate every donation made so that I can get a Mac and fix the OS X netcode. ;)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
do those donation boxes work, i should get me one :D
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Is this the right place to ask?
The game runs at the right speed, but it responds really slowly to keyboard commands. It takes about 4 seconds after I press a key before the game does something.

This is not a signature.
You did not see this.
It was all a dream.
You will not tell anyone about this.

Now go and read this signature again.

So, you actually bothered to scroll down, eh? If you're that bored, you might as well take a look at the links above.

Offline karx11erx

• Descent 2 & D2X-XL
do those donation boxes work, i should get me one :D
Try mine, and I'll tell ya. ;)

Freak,

check keyboard ramping in the controls menu and set it to zero.

Offline watsisname

Oh yeah, I wish to thank the folks who set this up, Ulala for running the game so much so that others can enjoy playing it, and the others for playing so that I could finally get to play with real Descent fans. Thank you! :)
And who thanks me for the countless hours of work I have sunk into this project :doubt: ... bad world ... :p

I thanked you by saying "...I wish to thank the folks who set this up..." ;)
Also, the Descent-ish linky thingy in your sig seems to be outdated or something.  I get 404'd.
I'll be checking in at random times tonight, but not too late as I have classes tomorrow.  (Sucks to have class on a national holiday)  :doubt:
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Zantor

• Zantor Zenodex
    • My LiveJournal: A Zenodexan's Log
I'd love to join. What port are you using and is it visible using the tracker?
"We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." --Thomas Jefferson

"If the American people ever allow the banks to control the issuance of their currency... the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their property, until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." --Thomas Jefferson

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies." --Thomas Jefferson

"Determine never to be idle...It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing." --Thomas Jefferson

Offline watsisname

Port is 28342, and two ip adresses are listed above.  (128.193.246.12 seems to be most common).  I really don't know how the tracker works...

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
My computer has crashed and/or restarted itself like 8 times this weekend. Sorry it has made the server so flakey.  :sigh: Back up now, hopefully it'll fair better this week. I think I need to format..
I am a revolutionary.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Also, the Descent-ish linky thingy in your sig seems to be outdated or something.  I get 404'd.
I'll be checking in at random times tonight, but not too late as I have classes tomorrow.  (Sucks to have class on a national holiday) 

Sorry, I was tied up with homework and other crap yesterday and didn't have any time to play. I will be free tonight though. I don't have classes today but I always have Mondays off; I've arranged my classes this semester so they're all on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

By the way, karx11erx, is there a way I can use a custom resolution in D2X-XL? The resolution command line listed on the switches page on your site doesn't seem to do anything for me. I tried putting in -2048x1536 into the d2x.ini file but it still loads up in 1600x1200.

I've been playing some old D1 levels with this as well. The D1 support generally works very well but the game seems to crash every now and then, seemingly at random (not just with the exit sequences, but also during normal play). It may be unrelated, but I only got these crashes in D1 levels. Also, it seems that some pass-through triggers don't fire like they're supposed to and a couple of the sounds are switched around (the fan makes the class 1 platform bot noise and I think the lava ambient noise is the cloaking sound).

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
server was up but noone was on. probibly because i didnt check till 3 in the morning.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

I've seen these guys and I'm a D2 lover by heart.  But I can't get there software working on any of my comps.  Every time I start up d2x-xl, it opens loads up a black screen, then quits.  No debug information is given.  I would really love to join you guys, but I have no idea how I should go about fixing this problem.  Could I get some help please?
The big cool ship...

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Did you download the descent 2 data files?

Where did you put them?
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline karx11erx

• Descent 2 & D2X-XL
CP56,

if you encounter any situations where D2X-XL crashes, please try to make a save file short before that situation occurs and send it to me together with an explanation how to provoke the crash.

Btw, v1.5.125 available with a lot of D1 related fixes and a very nice new feature (press Alt+W in-game ;)).

I can add new resolutions to D2X-XL. Just tell me which.

watsisname,

sig fixed. thx for the hint.

To everybody:

KoolBear from the Descent BB is running a new tracker, so you can play using the tracker functionality (UDP/IP via tracker).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 02:24:17 pm by karx11erx »

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
The server has been updated. No reactor. Kill limit is 30. Hopefully maps will cycle without trouble (and without me being present). Does alt-w have a function in D2 multiplayer? It didn't do anything for me. Hope to shoot you guys up soon!  :)
I am a revolutionary.

Offline watsisname

The server has been updated. No reactor. Kill limit is 30. Hopefully maps will cycle without trouble (and without me being present). Does alt-w have a function in D2 multiplayer? It didn't do anything for me. Hope to shoot you guys up soon! :)

Most excellent.  I'll try getting on tonight when I get the chance. :)

BTW, I was wondering how many people would be interested in trying out entropy sometime... perhaps on the weekend.  What if everyone who's interested post what times they will be able to play and we schedule a game or games?  (Anytime after 4pm Thursday and from 11am- 3am Friday through Sunday is good for me, time zone is Eastern US)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
CP56,

if you encounter any situations where D2X-XL crashes, please try to make a save file short before that situation occurs and send it to me together with an explanation how to provoke the crash.

Btw, v1.5.125 available with a lot of D1 related fixes and a very nice new feature (press Alt+W in-game ).

I can add new resolutions to D2X-XL. Just tell me which.

Well I haven't really been able to reproduce them reliably, aside from the exit sequence crashes. I'll see if I can find anything specific that causes them. (it's with the latest version, the one that was released on 2/17) What does alt-w do? It seems to have no effect for me.

It would be nice to have 2048x1536 as a possible resolution, if it's not too much work on your part.

I've seen these guys and I'm a D2 lover by heart.  But I can't get there software working on any of my comps.  Every time I start up d2x-xl, it opens loads up a black screen, then quits.  No debug information is given.  I would really love to join you guys, but I have no idea how I should go about fixing this problem.  Could I get some help please?

I got the same problem when I first tried D2X-XL, but it was because I accidentally had my descent2.hog file in some other folder for some reason. So make sure you have all the data files in place. (Nuke's link in the first post should have them all if you're missing any)

BTW, I was wondering how many people would be interested in trying out entropy sometime... perhaps on the weekend.  What if everyone who's interested post what times they will be able to play and we schedule a game or games?  (Anytime after 4pm Thursday and from 11am- 3am Friday through Sunday is good for me, time zone is Eastern US)

I would also be very interested in trying that, as well as CTF. If we can get four or more players without any weird glitches, we could play one of these team gametypes. I used to play entropy quite a bit in D3 and it's a pretty cool idea.

Most of those times will work for me, although 11:00 pm or later is usually preferable. A friday or saturday night is probably the best time to get as many people as possible.

By the way, does anyone know how the hoard mode works in D2? I have only played that in D3 and seem to remember that every level had goal zones somewhere where you could offload the orbs, but I could find any such place when we tried it a week ago. Are there special hoard-compatible maps that need to be used?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 05:24:12 pm by CP5670 »

Offline karx11erx

• Descent 2 & D2X-XL
Alt+W only works with the fullscreen cockpit.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Server isn't realy working, keeps giving me missing packets...
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline watsisname

Server isn't realy working, keeps giving me missing packets...
I'm getting the same problem.  Try my game (ip=192.168.0.101, port 28342)  I'll try to keep it going from now until around 1am.