Author Topic: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Released  (Read 14460 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Released
hey man the e3 2001 trailer looked awesome

Granted, D3D wasn't super-awesome. It was merely playable, with amusing bits. However I'm expecting "playable" again, with more amusing bits in that special Duke utterly uncorrect way.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mika

What I saw was indeed a fusion of old and modern shooters. Two weapon limit seems to cause most of the complaints, other mechanics I can stomach, but not that. I agree that this could be much better without that limit, but luckily it is likely the first thing that gets modded out from the PC version. Especially when there is video material of a different weapon selection method which contained all guns (in some Jace Hall show), this was back in 2010 I guess.

But it was refreshing to see a shooter without any "#¤#"&#¤&/ cover mechanics and at least there is some difficulty included, based on that video at least.

I don't consider this a lost case yet. I have a sneaking suspicion that the desert level is likely more boring than the typical DNF-level. The best thing at the moment is that I only need to wait a couple of days(!) and I can actually see it being played! From the internet response, it sounds like XBOX version has a lot of performance problems, PS3 works, and PC is smooth. I just wish 3DRealms had said screw consoles and make this a PC game instead of conforming to two weapon limit - this was because it was not possible to map all weapons nicely to console controllers.

Also, this:

Who else is thinking that there will be a ton of new trolling material when this game is released?
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I just wish 3DRealms had said screw consoles and make this a PC game instead of conforming to two weapon limit - this was because it was not possible to map all weapons nicely to console controllers.
I doubt that was the reason; I've played several console shooters (all the way back to GoldenEye 64) that let you scroll between multiple weapons, and I've even seen one or two that let you assign quick-select weapons to a D-pad.  I can't really stand that two-weapon limit myself, though, and I agree that a game like Duke Nukem shouldn't be bowing to some sort of absurdist "realism" like that.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
2 weapon limit = consoles

what is this i dont even

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Doesn't make sense in the least bit... There are several ways to have multiple weapons on a console FPS. Probably the easiest way is to use a wheel.

You know, for how "cultured" and "elite" PC jockeys try to pass themselves off as compared to gamers that dare to own a console, the fools are actually more annoying than the screechy twelve year olds I run into on Live and PSN occasionally. Just FYI, Mika.

More on topic, the two weapon limit is likely what killed it for me, as well. It's just not Duke, and is probably what made it look so damn generic in my eyes.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
I just wish 3DRealms had said screw consoles and make this a PC game instead of conforming to two weapon limit - this was because it was not possible to map all weapons nicely to console controllers.
I doubt that was the reason; I've played several console shooters (all the way back to GoldenEye 64) that let you scroll between multiple weapons, and I've even seen one or two that let you assign quick-select weapons to a D-pad.  I can't really stand that two-weapon limit myself, though, and I agree that a game like Duke Nukem shouldn't be bowing to some sort of absurdist "realism" like that.

And when was the N64 around? Late 90's? :P
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
I doubt that was the reason; I've played several console shooters (all the way back to GoldenEye 64) that let you scroll between multiple weapons, and I've even seen one or two that let you assign quick-select weapons to a D-pad.

George Broussard has defended it on that basis, unfortunately. His argument is there are only so many buttons on a controller.

Offline Kosh

I doubt that was the reason; I've played several console shooters (all the way back to GoldenEye 64) that let you scroll between multiple weapons, and I've even seen one or two that let you assign quick-select weapons to a D-pad.

George Broussard has defended it on that basis, unfortunately. His argument is there are only so many buttons on a controller.

So straight from the horse's mouth, it was because of consoles.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
But other games have already proven that it doesn't matter... It's the damn 21st century FPS conventions.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Indeed.  Just look at Half-Life 2 for how to do more than two weapons at a time on a console.

Honestly though, in a normal FPS, it forces the player to choose tactically.  In something like Duke Nukem, the limit is best greeted with something like "GTFO!"

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
The realism argument isn't any better, cause a 2 weapon limit just won't make Duke any more realistic.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Say it ain't so.

hey man the e3 2001 trailer looked awesome

:lol:

I want Jetski's falling out of planes  :nod:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
The whole thing fulfills the worst nightmare I had about it.

Where is the wisecracking, womanizing, sunglasses wearing badass who uses 50,000 bullets, an RPG, 60 rapid fire mini-rockets, and a shrink ray to kill ONE bad guy...

He's over in the corner laughing his ass off at his brain damaged clone with no balls and half a dick that can barely hold TWO guns and dies in 3 shots on hard.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
So straight from the horse's mouth, it was because of consoles.

Actually I'd say it's more indicative of the very real possiblity that George Broussard is a bit an idiot.

Offline Kosh

But other games have already proven that it doesn't matter... It's the damn 21st century FPS conventions.

Yes it does work fine on Halo or COD or something like that, but this is DUKE NUKEM.

The realism argument isn't any better, cause a 2 weapon limit just won't make Duke any more realistic.

Exactly, other games are about strategy and tactics, but Duke Nukem has always been about one thing and that's running around blasting the **** out of everything in sight.

Brain I/O error

OMG, melee is NOT the mighty foot!

@#;ø®!, Duke 3D was one of the fisrt FPS to have an emergency melee button, and they didn't even keep it??? (or maybe it is not ready yet, like that cynical brit guy said in the video :P)

I can understand that some frightened exec would want regenerative health + blood on the screen corners & two weapon limit, but that's a basic duke symbol: duke litteraly kicking some alien ass. It is one of the thing I remembered most from D3D.
Other things include: jetpack - check ; shrink ray-check ; devastator - check ; freeze-ray - maybe when the full game comes out ; pig cops - check ; chicks showing their tits - check ; duke-speak - check

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
tbh if the guys in charge dont have the balls to demand that DNF be politically incorrect then they have no place in a duke project
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
It's just another shooter.

Take from that what you will.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
It's just another shooter.

Take from that what you will.