Author Topic: Space Marine  (Read 23992 times)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Relic's new Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

article:
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/987/987127p1.html

video:
http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14352257/warhammer-40000-space-marine/videos/spacemarine_trl_battle_52709.html

I'm suitably hooked.  Sure its only been announced for Xbox 360 and PS3, and yeah Action RPGs aren't what Relic is known for but unlike the "verse" it's based on I'm optimistic.  If I can pulp Greenskin heads with a Thunder Hammer like Gallagher explodes water melons and the rest comes even close to a Bioware RPG I'll be screaming 40kisms at my TV with the best of them :D

"Heresy Grows From Idleness!"

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Mutter mutter.. console only.. mutter mutter..

I'm annoyed actually. I like Relic as a developer and I like the Warhammer 40K universe. I'm not buying a console so I can play it though... so it's a shame they couldn't have made this game for the PC as well - hell they managed it with Gears of War.

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Consolefags (ignorant kids with rich parents) will ALWAYS buy console games despite their $60 price.  What would you rather sell to?  A small/dying market where if the price is anything higher than $50 you will not get anything, or a large/weallknowsadlythatitwillcompletelyreplacecomputergamesalltogether market where the standard price is $60?  To be honest, only the STUPID developers make games for the PC.

I love PC games, but they will be totally dead (not including indiegames - yes, MMOs will move to the console) within a decade.

Consolefags (ignorant kids with rich parents) will ALWAYS buy console games despite their $60 price.  What would you rather sell to?  A small/dying market where if the price is anything higher than $50 you will not get anything, or a large/weallknowsadlythatitwillcompletelyreplacecomputergamesalltogether market where the standard price is $60?  To be honest, only the STUPID developers make games for the PC.

I love PC games, but they will be totally dead (not including indiegames - yes, MMOs will move to the console) within a decade.
Defeatist.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
At least consoles are kind of becoming more like PCs.

Every new game they announce that isn't Homeworld 3 feels kind of like a blow. *sigh*

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Sigh console, why can't PC owners get any WH40K action(not including Fire Warrior) or RPGs? I also have to say i prefered the look of the Space Marine game THQ Australia was doing and was against Chaos! It looked so much darker in tone the way 40k should be in my opinion before relic took it over, now it looks like the Dawn of War 2 engine which seems to bright and colourfull but hey thats what i think.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
PC gaming has a bleak future, most likely.

Possible outcomes:
1. (unlikely, but preferred) Complete gaming PCs become much cheaper (<$1,000), or mainsteam manufacturers shift from CPU power to GPU power, thus more people buy PC games because they will actually run on a run-of-the-mill craputer.
2. Steam takes over the vast majority of the PC market.  This isn't actually as bad as it sounds, compared to the other things that could happen.
3. PC gaming slowly degenerates to being made up almost entirely of indie games, MMOs (unless consoles develop better internet handling), and RTSs (unless consoles adapt to mouse/keyboard layouts).
4. Consoles almost completely replace PCs as the game stations, likely having keyboard and mouse support with prices from $400-$600.  Not terribly bad, except for the fact that modding is likely dead and game prices will be even higher in this scenario.
5. Consoles and PCs simultaneously become very expensive, killing most of the video game market altogether.
6. The "world" ends in 3 years, 6 months, and ~22 days from the time of this post.  In this scenario, gaming will probably not be our prime concern.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Every new game they announce that isn't Homeworld 3 feels kind of like a blow. *sigh*

Wasn't there a possibility of that being in development, or was that rumor shot down without me noticing already?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I think it's a possibility, yes.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Quote from: Everyone
*Sob* I'm a PC-owner, and I won't be able to play this. *Sniff* You damn console-owners, you're to blame for this! *Whinge*
So it's the old 'PC gaming is dying because of consoles' argument again? Then let's drag out the old rebuff to that argument: It's bull****.

As has been proven time, after time, after time, after time, PC gaming is not dead, dying, or even sickly. It wasn't dead 10 years ago when consoles first started really gaining ground. It wasn't dead 4 years ago at the start of the current console generation. It's not going to be dead in 20 years when we're all playing Google's inevitable console. Honestly, if you think that PC gaming is dying in the face of overwhelming console gaming, then get a ****ing job and buy a console. Either that, or stop your whinging and enjoy the myriad of great games coming out for PC as we speak.

Anyway, I own a 360, and I'll be enjoying the **** out of this one. So you can all get stuffed. :D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 08:20:16 pm by Mefustae »

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
2. Steam takes over the vast majority of the PC market.  This isn't actually as bad as it sounds, compared to the other things that could happen.
I like that, most Steam games aren't overpriced, and in a lot of cases they are cheaper than the console versions. (CoD4, etc.) The only game I can see that's had a jacked price is L4D, and that's only 40$.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The Tech Demo video leaked several days back was rather different from this (and appeared to be more along the lines of "Warhammer 40k: Khorne Berserker" with no squad based element at all...of course there's no squad element in any of the apparent gameplay video in the vid here).

They've also abandoned the Blood Ravens and gone to Ultramarines. Considering Ultramarines fans are currently running the asylum over at Games Workshop (5E Space Marine codex might as well have had that labeled on the cover), I'm not terribly hopeful about the quality of the story.

A shiney Fire Warrior?

I fear yes.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 07:16:54 am by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Well, you could be Chaos, but then you would just end up having your ass kicked back into the Eye of Terror eventually.  You could be Tau, but that was already done in Fire Warrior, and besides, they're  bunch of weeaboos.  You could be Eldar, but then you are some elf pansy with a Frisbee launcher for a weapon.  You could be Tyranid, but then you would be a mindless ravening Zerg-like beast.  You could be Necron, but then you would be a mindless automaton.   You could be IG, but you would end up getting executed for cowardice 5 minutes into the battle.  You could be an Ork, which would be cool, but the campaign would be just like Overlord.  If it's a hack-and-slash kill-fest, It pretty much has to be about the Space Marines.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
You could also be an inquisitor, there very dangerours as is the Sisters of battle. I personally think space marines and orks have been done to death, be nice for a change.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Inquisitors are cool, but not Space Marine cool.  They're don't have all the super-human enhancements of the Astartes.  And Sisters of Battle are just PMS-ing nuns-with-guns.  Who the hell wants to play one of those in a hack-and-slash game?

About the choice of Chapter, I would prefer something besides Ultramarines.  UM aren't a melee-heavy Chapter, and hacking and slashing isn't their style.  Space Wolves or Black Templars, now those two Chapters are big on melee combat and acting like scythes of death.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Actually IMHO space marines haven't been done at all in an FPS game.

Granted there were the Space Hulk games (...and I still couldn't get SH2 to run on XP), but those were more about Tactical Dreadnought armor and Aliens style Genestealer bloodfest than honest to goodness Space Marine combat.

On another tangent recently I've been actually playing Firewarrior and 'am ashamed to state that I like it. It's not a *good* game, but it's still a challenge and I like the grittiness of it.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
On another tangent recently I've been actually playing Firewarrior and 'am ashamed to state that I like it. It's not a *good* game, but it's still a challenge and I like the grittiness of it.

Fire Warrior isn't bad, I admit. It's not good either. It's rather like the original Half-Life in that regard, and roughly the same generation of technology.

A Feddie Story

Ultramarines?

You seriously think it's gonna be anybody but the blood ravens again?

At any rate, I hope it's not just orks vs marines.  Orcs are kind of dull.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.

A Feddie Story

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Nectothread.

E3 2011 Machinima Coverage, 18:50 long. Shows a lot of gameplay, it's the console version though. From the looks of it, the game seems solid. Now the question is, how good will be the PC version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFmye4wa64Q