Author Topic: A couple of Campaign questions  (Read 3177 times)

Offline NickM

A couple of Campaign questions
Gang,

I'm currently (re) watching Red Mage Joe working his way thru The 'Aftermath Reboot', so I have a couple of questions:

Firstly, 'Reboot' is insanely combat heavy (and I love watching it) but was the 'pre reboot' Aftermath anything as intense as the new version?
Second

I used to skim other people who play FS campaigns and I 'vaguely' remember one that centered on yet another Shvan incursion, that ended when we communicated with the Shivans and made peace: they were actually frightened by the Terrans because, in spite of the Shivans' best efforts, humanity (and the Vasudans) kept bouncing back with new and better weaponry, totally unlike any of the other species they 'purged'.
So...did I imagine this scenario? If it's an actual campaign, what is it called?

Thanks ahead of time.

NM

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Re: A couple of Campaign questions
I used to skim other people who play FS campaigns and I 'vaguely' remember one that centered on yet another Shvan incursion, that ended when we communicated with the Shivans and made peace: they were actually frightened by the Terrans because, in spite of the Shivans' best efforts, humanity (and the Vasudans) kept bouncing back with new and better weaponry, totally unlike any of the other species they 'purged'.
So...did I imagine this scenario? If it's an actual campaign, what is it called?

Could be the "Incursion" campaign.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Lorric

Could be the "Incursion" campaign.

Been years since I played it, but it came to mind for me too reading the OP, along with the sequel, Return to Sol.

Gang,

I'm currently (re) watching Red Mage Joe working his way thru The 'Aftermath Reboot', so I have a couple of questions:

Firstly, 'Reboot' is insanely combat heavy (and I love watching it) but was the 'pre reboot' Aftermath anything as intense as the new version?
Second

Thanks ahead of time.

NM

That is Incursion you are talking about with the Shivans making peace.  Regarding Afermath, to say it is combat heavy is an understatement. 

Offline NickM

'An Understatement'? Indeed, the action is totally, hilariously crazy! Was the 'original' anything even close to this level of action?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 09:44:54 pm by NickM »

Offline CT27

It would be relatively close I'd say...though the Reboot may be more just because it has more missions.

Also, just to clear up any possible confusion, there are two "Aftermath" campaigns out there (they aren't connected to each other fyi).  One version is sometimes referred to as "Aftermath: CE" and takes place shortly after FS1 (unfortunately I don't know who made it).

The other campaign called "Aftermath" was made by Herkie423 and takes place a few years after FS2; continuity wise, "The Aftermath: Reboot" (aka AFR) is a remake of that and "The Blue Guardian" is a sequel to AFR.

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Aftermath CE was made by the same people who made Derelict.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

I remember I liked Aftermath CE, though I think the parts should be fused into one campaign instead of having multiple campaigns in the campaign room that you have to switch between

Offline NickM

Thank you all...There's a regular 'streamer' on Red Mage Joe's stream named Henrik; does he do any other games? He sounds a bit like the fellow who does Ts4EVER, th Forgotten Hope 2 content developer and player.

Offline NickM

and "The Blue Guardian" is a sequel to AFR.

Wait, there's a "Sequel"??! Has Joe or anybody else played it on Y/T or anywhere? And more importantly is it as loony fun as Aftermath Reboot?

Blue Guardian can be fun, but it is extremely difficult.  The A.I is highly adaptive and you have to be very creative to succeed

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Aftermath CE was made by the same people who made Derelict.

For the sake of clarity, Aftermath, Derelict and several other campaigns all belong to a fan-made continuity named CE, short for Cold Element. Said continuity includes BWO.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline NickM

Blue Guardian can be fun, but it is extremely difficult.  The A.I is highly adaptive and you have to be very creative to succeed

OK! I hope somebody plays it! I'm watching a playthru for Aftermath: Reboot for like the 3rd time! It's insanely the most freespacey freespace mod to ever have freespaced!

Offline CT27

OK! I hope somebody plays it! I'm watching a playthru for Aftermath: Reboot for like the 3rd time! It's insanely the most freespacey freespace mod to ever have freespaced!

Judging by the playlist at the beginning of Joe's thread, it looks like he may get to TBG within the next couple months or so.