Author Topic: Best Random Buy  (Read 12914 times)

Offline Al Tarket

• A resident nutcase from Jerusalem.
    • An FSO Modification site
mini golf.. fuzzys world  :lol:.
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Judge these words wisely and you might make it through this cruel world.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
So is the general consensus that nexus is worth picking up?

YES
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Al Tarket

yes means nothing if you not a space game freak. i would say, find a demo play it and find out for yourself.
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You just said you don't play demos, remember?

Offline Al Tarket

yes but i never said anyone else can or cant play demos unless you remember that also.

CRYSIS, I can't get enough of it. I can't wait for Warhead.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Crysis looks good, but there's nothing in it that my computers can handle.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Deus Ex, hands down.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Probably Freespace, since I knew next to nothing about it at the time (other than it having some vague relation to Descent).  Just about every other game purchase I can think of was a result of me having heard some level of praise for the title beforehand, and I'm not that big of a game buyer to begin with.  I guess you could throw NHL '98 for the Genesis in there too, since my brother picked that up for $2 at a yard sale, and it's given us countless hours of fun.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
If buying a computer was valid, Descent 3 would be my best random buy.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

is civ 4 any good
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Um, yes. It's one of the most comprehensive and addictive strategy games ever made.

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity

Crysis runs on a ****ty engine.  Don't worry about it.  Sure, it looks good, but its DX10 support is bad.  In modified DX9 mode it looks almost exactly like DX10 in most cases and runs over twice as well.  But I wouldn't know, since I run it at all very high settings 20-50fps...  I really need a second video card, though.  Sadly, a single HD 4870 isn't enough to get good framerates out of it.  Try two.

One from left field - best random buy was Severance (I believe it was called something else in the U.S).

Third person Hack n Slash, but for its day was very well done, choice of four characters, new weapons to find, secrets etc etc....

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator

Crysis runs on a ****ty engine.  Don't worry about it.  Sure, it looks good, but its DX10 support is bad.  In modified DX9 mode it looks almost exactly like DX10 in most cases and runs over twice as well.  But I wouldn't know, since I run it at all very high settings 20-50fps...  I really need a second video card, though.  Sadly, a single HD 4870 isn't enough to get good framerates out of it.  Try two.

Don't set everything to very high. That includes several options that don't do much for image quality but have a big performance hit. I played through the game using the Triple C pack's high settings and turned a couple of very high flags on manually, mostly things related to the textures. That gave most of the noticeable effects from very high and it stayed above 40fps at almost all times, at 1280x960 on a GTX 280. The performance does drop quite a bit during the outdoor alien fights later on though, and I had to drop down to 1024x768 to keep the framerate decent for those parts.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
In fact, the Cry Engine from Crysis is not "****ty", it's a masterpiece. Considering the scale and amount of objects that are rendered at any point, it's one of the most optimised engines ever made (a good example is the first level, when you jump out of the plane and fall towards the island, the whole island is rendered there, not some cheap replacement). And that's a proven fact.

I have no idea how these guys have done this, especially the refinement of the engine for the new Crysis Warhead. Unbelievable  :eek2:
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Well, I'm not sure what to make of the engine. Most parts of the game look quite stunning, especially the areas with dense grass and foliage covering the ground, but there are some things that are strangely out of place, like something from a 2002 game. For instance, most of the smaller Korean encampments in the outdoor levels have very poor textures inside and almost no lighting to speak of. The textures on many rock cliff faces are another example, and there is often a jarring difference between them and the grass textures leading up to them.

And it does show signs of bad optimization. This is masked by the amazing graphical quality at maximum settings, but it becomes apparent when you turn down settings to low or medium. It look similar to Far Cry with the options turned down (which is still quite good, but nothing like the game on high), but there isn't nearly enough of a performance increase.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 10:51:10 am by CP5670 »

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Just the difference between tweaked High and actual Very High is proof enough of the direct X 10 problems of Crysis.  That's what you get when you start developing on a graphics platform 2-3 years before it's released.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Um, yes. It's one of the most comprehensive and addictive strategy games ever made.
Civ doesn't appeal to me from the screenshots I've seen, I've seen a few with huge soldiers and ****. I don't like that kind of thing.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Civ doesn't appeal to me from the screenshots I've seen, I've seen a few with huge soldiers and ****. I don't like that kind of thing.

Civ (any) doesn't appeal to me because a single [expletive removed] spearman can take down a modern tank.