Author Topic: Derelict voice acting  (Read 7970 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by Holy Imperial Gloriano
but you know that all GTVA pilots are not native english speakers

Unlikely. By 2367, we'd have one language, and It's not going to be anything apart from English. It just wont.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Originally posted by Black Wolf

Unlikely. By 2367, we'd have one language, and It's not going to be anything apart from English. It just wont.

one language i think not
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by Holy Imperial Gloriano

one language i think not

Meh, believe what you will. But you yourself are living proof of the trend. The Vast majority of Non english speakers that know a second Language, know english. It's being taught at almost all overseas schools that can afford a language program, and it's the official language of the EU. It wont happen overnight obviously, and no doubt places like Japan where the language is so very different will change last, but the rest of the world will speak english within a century or two. It's inevitable. AndEven if you don;t accept those figures, what language do you think members of offworld colonies will speak? (Keep in mind that the GTVA is made up only of offworld colonies).
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
well i don't know

but i hope that don't happen (english only language in future)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2003, 12:21:39 pm by 153 »

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It will, probably, be inevitable, but I think for quite a while yet it will be most countries 'second language', even you need to have a level of English to be able to use the Web etc.
I think it would be a pity to see the end of other languages, but I agree with BW here, the chances are eventually that the world will speak one language, though as to whether it is anything at all like the 'English' we speak now is another matter, it will probs be a mishmash of whatever is useful, after all, that's exactly how all languages have grown over the last several thousand years :)

Flipside :D

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
English will become the main language eventually but that doesn't mean all the rest will disappear. Just that everyone will be able to speak english.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline J3Vr6

I agree w/ Karajoma.

So did anyone get a hold of anyone from Derelict?

Can u believe that I haven't even touched derelict?  I have it sitting on my desk at home and I haven't even bothered.  I think I'm gonna finish the main campaign again (if my computer doesn't crash during the missions like it does) and then play it.  Hopefully by then they'll have voice acting.
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

the derelict crew has been MIA as long as i am in the community,

i tried to contact them about the installer being broke, and i could only find their names on the VWBB, under BWO. that's how i got here.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
I think I have a version burned somewhere.

Beside I'd like to do voices.
I have kind an accent, but I always manage to keep things in track - English people rarely have trouble understand, same goes for foreign speakers.

Hungarians seem to be an exception though ( - they rarely understand me even in their own language).
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
The problem with Derelict update won't be voice actong ... it would be the amount of bugs you have to fix. Maybe you should better re-write the whole campaign. Less time than modifying all bits in all missions.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

dunno, there aren't that much bugs IIRC. and voice acting would indeed be great, but i haven't got a working microphone, not enough time, and to loud a voice to do voice acting in this house.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Originally posted by TopAce
The problem with Derelict update won't be voice actong ... it would be the amount of bugs you have to fix. Maybe you should better re-write the whole campaign. Less time than modifying all bits in all missions.

what bug's? i didn't see bug's in Derelict missions are just perfect

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
There are quite a few bugs in Deralict. It's good but certainly not bug free.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Originally posted by karajorma
There are quite a few bugs in Deralict. It's good but certainly not bug free.

I'm not interested in bug fixing. Adding voices yes, but not bug fixing.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
I guess if the project starts roling some of the FRED-ers would be more than willing to fix those to (especially with the sexp tools we have at hand today) while inserting the new voice files into the missions.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Flaser
I guess if the project starts roling some of the FRED-ers would be more than willing to fix those to (especially with the sexp tools we have at hand today) while inserting the new voice files into the missions.

Actually from what I've heard the filenames for all the missions were already present. We only need to make voice files with those names.

Offline Darkblade

• Lurker
    • The Babylon Project website
I'm 100% in. :)

Voice acting and possibly fixing bugs.
Mauri Darkblade Majanoja

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Do you want to transform it to FSO? Not if I wanted to play Derelict anymore, just enquiring ....
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Lost generation
Hmmmmmm........

English will continue being as it is now, a linking language. But you cannot say that the rest of languages will actually disappear
I'm surprised that you actually think that, because languages are the base of many cultures and to say that English will actually erase that basic cultural element is an inaccurate presumption. I suppose that probably because you haven't lived in countries with a different language, you lack a bit of perspective towards these matters.

Maybe I'm wrong....but I hope not.
I feel like an exile......

Offline SnakeEyes

• Lost generation
Ahh!!
As for having voices on Derelict my answer is YES!!
But I think that that work should be directed by the creators and owners of the project I think.
Anyway, the more accents we have in english the more realistic it will actually get.
I feel like an exile......