Author Topic: Official Robotech Mod Thread  (Read 139071 times)

Official Robotech Mod Thread
Ok he he now that we got some people intersted (mainly Ancient Angel and Unknown target) we can actually strat doing stuff as a collective effort and so to keep from spamming the whole site lets keep all related posts in one thread (moderators please close the otehr RT threads)...

All new Screenshots, comments, updates, or related posting for Robotech or Macross should be directed here...
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Current Status of the Beta fighter

She is close to being ready just a bunch of painting needed and poof she will be done.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2003, 06:42:09 am by 1625 »

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Ugh... I really should do something about the SDF-1.... why the hell did I make it from several parts?!?!.....
Hmm...maby If I convert it to 3DMax I can wield the parts there....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

I was thinking about this earlier, that Beta fighter is roughly 3000 polys and it sounds like converting over to .cob is a real pain in the after-burner. Not to mention that ship uses 5, 512 by 512 .bmps for textures.

Now there is no way I can reduce the polys in that ship I have cut them down about as far as I really want to go and the textures and number of them will bring about a nice model render, in game.

How hard are 3000 poly fighters going to choke this game engine up? I know a small hand full shouldn't kill it but it makes me wonder or question the game engines limitations.

Offline Sheepy

• Raises Hell
  • Mac User
On htl it shouldnt be much of a problem if you reduce the amount of maps on it
Kiss my Fluffy White Ass!

Originally posted by Sheepy
On htl it shouldnt be much of a problem if you reduce the amount of maps on it

Well that is some good news but man that is going to require remapping all of those UV cords. Not to mention I don't think I can get everything even ontop an 1024 by 1024 texture map. Lol oh well ...

Offline Sheepy

• Raises Hell
  • Mac User
a couple of 1024's would be better than nultiple smaller ones
Kiss my Fluffy White Ass!

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you can easily fit four of the 512s into a 1024, it's trivial, if it was in the corect format I could do it in a minute, the fith one may be a bit of a pain as it means you'd need to rework the UVs a bit, but it shouldn't need that much change, remember to keep a realy simmple version of the textures for cell shadeing (wich currently does not work in HT&L but if we have people who will use it that will give us a good reason to fix that)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Bobboau
you can easily fit four of the 512s into a 1024, it's trivial, if it was in the corect format I could do it in a minute, the fith one may be a bit of a pain as it means you'd need to rework the UVs a bit, but it shouldn't need that much change, remember to keep a realy simmple version of the textures for cell shadeing (wich currently does not work in HT&L but if we have people who will use it that will give us a good reason to fix that)

Note that if you put the 4 512*512 maps on a single 1024 one, you'll have to redo all the UV, Bob.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
nothing major thoug, just grab everything reduce it to 1/4th size put them into four quadrants and plaster the textures together, I've done it  at least a dozen times on models I've done were I canged textureing stratigies halfway through. it's always been a minor irritation that does little to discurage me from doing it. maybe my textureing techniques are more apt to this though (I keep all seperate UVs apart by multiples of 1.0)
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
in lithunwrap, it's a 2 min job:
open the model (you will have 4 materials for each 512 map)
add a material (the 1024 map)
for each of the 4 materials select all the polys and scale arbitrary to 50%.
Assign successively for each material all the scaled polys to the new one, and move them to their correct position ( IIRC you can move arbitrary too)
It's boring but not too long nor difficult.
Elseway you can find someone with a 3d prog capable of baking textures

Well the games I have mod'd for in the past are not that picky Mesh and texture wise.  Star Fleet Command could handle about anything you could throw at it as long as you stayed in the 10,000 poly mark for your Big ships. Star Shatter only has a .PCX texture issue but other than that it should be able to handle 3,000 poly fighters in-game.

The big issue for me and 1024 by 1024 textures is the fact my modeling program can not handle textures that size. And since I am attempting to get some constant level of detail I can not see shrinking the UV's cord's to get them on even two 512's. The game engine should be able to handle it or it is just simply going to have to ;)

Then I'd be satisfied for going with what works even if it was with an inferior model (not that the RT1 team is inferior but your alpha's textures me likes more than the original) of which we have red, blue, and now green!

l8tr!
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

[email protected]

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
angel, you still can use the internal render of lithunwrap or 3dexplorer to check the level of detail

Hay Star Dragon, is there a name you have this for this Mod? I might start redoing the web-site some time soon.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Bobboau
nothing major thoug, just grab everything reduce it to 1/4th size put them into four quadrants and plaster the textures together, I've done it  at least a dozen times on models I've done were I canged textureing stratigies halfway through. it's always been a minor irritation that does little to discurage me from doing it. maybe my textureing techniques are more apt to this though (I keep all seperate UVs apart by multiples of 1.0)

Mmh, well, I just throw a bit of texture where I want, then UVmap it. Anyway, I can UVmap low poly meshes much faster than before, now.
I also use only map now, so there's no need to feedle around anyway :p
SCREW CANON!

If you wouldn't mind my goal is two-fold.

First, to expand the Original mod (more ships, weapons, fred more missions ect..) for a more complete first series experience (even if it isn't pure Macross or Robotech(1) a mix of the two)

Second, to re-enact the Invid war so I would call it "The Robotech II Project (REF)" meaning Robotech Expiditionary Force.

The features for REF should be:

Free the Fantoma system of invid forces (clam ships, red and blue invids)

journey to the worlds of the Sentinels and build a coalition (like 3 or 4 other races to help with their fleets..

Track down and destroy rouge robotech masters and their bioroid armies from comming back and doing evil again which the citizens of Tirol paid for with their lives!

Be in the battle where Breeti fights the Invid regent 1on1!!!

Lastly build up your armada for the taking of Jupiter staging area, mars staging area, and finally EARTH, the attack on reflex point!

Our homeworld is an invid retirement community, this is unacceptable. You MUST take back the planet othrwise Major General Hunter  has authorised the use of neutron S missiles to destroy the planet. "Anything is preferable to the domination of the Invid". That is all , Dismissed!

sound good? :nervous:  Or am I reaching too high?

[email protected]

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you 'can' use a bunch of 512s but it won't render quite as fast, so you've got the problem of it not looking quite as good while your makeing it, or it running slightly slower than it should for the rest of eternity, to me it would be a no brainer that you'd want it to be better in game than in you'r modleing environment, but it's your call
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Originally posted by Star Dragon
If you wouldn't mind my goal is two-fold.

First, to expand the Original mod (more ships, weapons, fred more missions ect..) for a more complete first series experience (even if it isn't pure Macross or Robotech(1) a mix of the two)

Second, to re-enact the Invid war so I would call it "The Robotech II Project (REF)" meaning Robotech Expiditionary Force.

The features for REF should be:

Free the Fantoma system of invid forces (clam ships, red and blue invids)

journey to the worlds of the Sentinels and build a coalition (like 3 or 4 other races to help with their fleets..

Track down and destroy rouge robotech masters and their bioroid armies from comming back and doing evil again which the citizens of Tirol paid for with their lives!

Be in the battle where Breeti fights the Invid regent 1on1!!!

Lastly build up your armada for the taking of Jupiter staging area, mars staging area, and finally EARTH, the attack on reflex point!

Our homeworld is an invid retirement community, this is unacceptable. You MUST take back the planet othrwise Major General Hunter  has authorised the use of neutron S missiles to destroy the planet. "Anything is preferable to the domination of the Invid". That is all , Dismissed!

sound good? :nervous:  Or am I reaching too high?

Well that is do-able. I was thinking about using this site as a bas line sight for several Mods actually the bulk of them bing Robotech type mods, like for Free Space and Star Shatter.

Maybe branching out into Star Trek, Battle Star, Star Gate and other mods as we journey along? What do you think?

If this is something you would be intrested in all we need to do is come up with a mod'ing group name and develope an Icon for it and I'll start changing the site. Maybe we might get a few others to join along in our madness :eek2:

Here is a close up shot of the Lionfish.

Here is a shot of the Ikazuchi Command Carrier in scale to the Garfish. Please note this is version 1 of the Ikazuchi, I have since gone back and fixed some mesh issues.