Author Topic: Freespace 2 retail (and some FS 1)  (Read 3824 times)

Offline Sir T

Freespace 2 retail (and some FS 1)
Ok I have the FS2 Gold edition. I recently reloaded it and I know you have made the game more pretty, so basically what I want to know is if I want to use the enhancements that you have made do I have to download the whole thing or does the fact that I have the original game mean that I can go and get a smaller download? If so where should I look for it. I tried running Derelict SCP and no dice :(

Also I tried running FS 1 and I could not get it to run on my windows 2000 machine. Any tips?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 03:21:40 pm by Sir T »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Freespace 2 retail (and some FS 1)
Install the game. Do a full install and manually copy all the .mve files off the CD and directly into your main Freespace2 folder.

Then go here and get Turey's Installer. That will install everything else for you, minus about 1GB of data you just saved yourself from having to download by installing from CDs first. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Sir T

Thanks a lot.. but I did that and not its not firing up I keep getting the messege "The dynamic link library OpenAL.dll could not be found in the specified path C:\.." and then it goes off and lists various places. Close that and another box pops up saying "failed to read flag file". Could this problem be because I'm running win 2000? I havent had a problem running games marked as 'win XP only' before this :(

Offline Topgun

go search for openal... download and install.

Offline Sir T

Did that.. actually I reinstalled my sound card drivers, which fixed that problem. Then it started looking for openAL32.dll. Found and downloaded that and then it started complaining "The procedure entry point alcGetString could not be located in the dynamic link library OpenAl32.dll", at which point I gave up. I suspect its a win 2000 issue or something, but I'm not really ready to wipe my hard drive yet. So I'll wait toll I am before installing it FSopen. Its a pity but hey. :S
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 07:14:58 pm by Sir T »

Win 2000 is about as bad as you can get in terms of compatibility (unless you're a Mac-er. In which case we'd have to kill you.) Either Win98 or WinXP would be your best choices when running FreeSpace. IIRC Karajorma's FAQ specifically warns you about running FS1 on Windows 2000.

If your system can't find openAL32.dll, I doubt it's a hardware or Windows problem. Most likely, OpenAL didn't get installed correctly, somehow. What Win2000 will do sometimes is put your DLLs in the wrong directory. All I can think of is to do a Search, look for the .DLL you're missing, and make sure it isn't somewhere wierd.

Also, if you really, really want to run FS1, go to a thrift shop and buy a cheap Win 98. But this is largely pointless, as FreeSpace Open now has the FSPort. This comes with the Installer you have and is basically FS1 ported to run under FS2.

Offline Sir T

I acytuyally have win 98 installed in another drive, so if I'm desperate I'll just use that. But As I say I'm not quite ready yo lose everything in my widows drive. but I'll brpbably wipe my computer sonetime in the mnext month and I'll upgate to my winXP disk then

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I've never heard anything to suggest that Windows2000 is more incompatible with FS2_Open than any other operating system so don't go wiping your OS just yet.

Sounds to me like you just have a bad OpenAL version is all. Go to OpenAL.org and grab it. If that doesn't help take a quick look at this check-list I put up for BtRL as the first 3 apply to FS2_Open too.

Offline Topgun

[caveman voice] fs1 bad on win2k, do-do karajorma! [/caveman voice]

Offline Sir T

going to open al.orgdid the trick thanks. :)

Looking at your checklist though you said click on runmefirst in the freespace folder. I could find no file with that name. Maybe it has been removed for some reason?

Thanks again!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
No, that's just if you have BtRL ... so, go get it!  ;)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
[caveman voice] fs1 bad on win2k, do-do karajorma! [/caveman voice]

I've never heard anything that made me think FS1 is less stable on Win2K either.

No matter. All backwards compatibility with any game made before 2006 will go to hell once everyone switches to Vista.