Author Topic: french hud problems  (Read 4221 times)

french hud problems
I Managed ot get a "clean" version of string.tbl with the french translation. I tried it editing the registry of freespace2, it works well (azerty keyboard, some french indication without (fr)xxxxx ) but I have some strange problems when playing. I don't see the number "1" on the distances or speed, I also don't see the arrows I used to have with the weapon selection.

note :
-the distance between me and the ennemy is 3216 in reality
-I have 1200 ammunitions of annihiliator
-I have 126 munitions of vortex
-Ripper is selectionned and Vortex is in dual-fire mode
-I'm using the latest SCP build of FS2 open.

I were wondering is there were a way to fix it, or if there were a way to let all in english (in the registry) and have my keyboard in azerty ? (because I'm not used to write with a qwerty keyboard)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: french hud problems
The number thing is usually an issue resulting from using a font file for one language, but the language the game is set to is different (ie, character offsets are different).  In this case I'd bet that you have the game set to French but the font is the English version.  If it's a registry option you want then it's "Language", and setting it to "English".  You probably already have that set in the registry though, which is part of the problem.  If the registry option doesn't exist then the game will try and figure out what language it should use by seeing which font file is in use.  This makes it pretty automatic.

So your options are to change the "Language" registry option, or remove it completely and let the game figure it out for you.

If neither option works then let me know and I'll think of something else.

Hi, I am also new to this FSO thingy. GREAT JOB! It rocks...
Played FS1 Retail when it was published in ...errm...  the last millenium ;) anyway, now trying the new stuff.

I got the same problems with the HUD, and found out that they were caused by a German/European retail version that i have installed before "Tureys FSO Installer".
So I changed language to English in the Reg, and it works, like explained above..... or this way (thx to jr2 btw ;) ) :

For registry, it is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Volition\FreeSpace2 (use Start-Run regedit; DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING UNLESS YOU ARE SURE WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!  YOU CAN DESTROY YOUR WINDOWS INSTALLATION!!  [ie, don't fool with anything except for that key... changes are immediate; no saving.  The only thing that might save your butt if you fooled with something else is System Restore Point in ME / XP / higher)

Still one bug (is it?!) remains: I don't remember vanishing the target box (only enemies) including the lead indicator as soon as I fire the primaries...  :confused: :shaking:
It's goddamn annoying, trying to hit them without it....  :drevil:   Anyone knows how to solve that? Couldn't find a topic for it....

Thx in advance and may the lead indicator be with you ...   :pimp:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 11:09:06 am by Elvendark »

Meanwhile I realised that the target box only dissapears when I use the mouse. It stays when I use a stick to maneuver the ship. Kind of a weird...  :confused:

Someone knows anything about that?

EDIT: Added to "Mantis", see pix, if you like to
http://scp.indiegames.us/mantis/view.php?id=1509
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 01:45:06 am by Elvendark »

Issue solved. The problem was:

mousebuttons and joystick hat are using same configurations, so every time I clicked with mouse, the target just changed (target box was still there but on a different target), because some of my target hotkeys was bound on hat.
 :cool:

I had a german version of FreeSpace2 running before installing FreeSpace Open, but i unistalled it before installing the new Version.
Now, i still have the german language and the same problems like griffon67 posted in the topic. There is no entry in the Registry, or i can't find it.
Were does the german language come from?

Thank you for help

LizardKing

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Volition -> Freespace2->Language

Change from German to English. Or simply delete that key and run the launcher.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

or just search for VOLITION in regedit...   :pimp:   there are sooo many ways.... ;)

I still look for this key, but there is only:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Volition
The Key Volition has only the Standard Value.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
As long as you don't have any other volition games installed I'd suggest deleting the entire Volition folder then.

You're sure that there isn't a Freespace2 folder? I can't see how you're even getting the game to run without one. It should be crashing out complaining about not finding the VideocardFs2open key.

I deleted the key and i still have the german language.
I had reinstall the game and the problem is still there.
Where are the german text come form. All my briefings are geramn. How could that be?
Is the FreeSpace 2 Retail multilanguage?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Retail FS2 is indeed multilaunguage but it relies on the registry entry I mentioned before to set the language so I can't see why you're having problems. 

Check the registry tab of your FS2_Open launcher and see what language it is set to. You may also want to try running the retail launcher (freespace2.exe) and seeing if you can change the language in setup.

It's like voodoo!
There is an entry in the Launcher Language=German, but i can't find it in my Regestry.
If i run the retail Launcher the radio German is marked and disabled. If i select English it doesn't have any affects.

Under the radios there is a command textbox. Perhaps i can use this if you tell me how :doubt:?

Thank you for your help!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Can you take a screenshot of regedit open looking at all your FS2 registry values?

There is no entry. It should be HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Volition -> Freespace2->Language
but it isn't there.

But i have this entries in the launcher:

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
There is no entry. It should be HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Volition -> Freespace2->Language
but it isn't there.
check:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Volition -> Freespace2->Language
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
but it isn't there.

Show us what you do have there.

I found it
Here it was:

HKEY_USERS\nice guide\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Volition\FreeSpace2  :rolleyes:
It's certain a Vista Feature to hide keys ;-)

EDIT: And it works. FreeSpace2 now run in english!

Thank you all!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 02:34:53 pm by LizardKing »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Strange. I wonder what it was doing there. :D