Author Topic: Two strange things in Freespace 2  (Read 3818 times)

Offline kyreon

Two strange things in Freespace 2
Hi,

i was looking for good games for linux and so i installed FS2_open. I used the Java downloader and at first i just downloaded everything. But now when i play Freespace 2 (-mod mediavps and these parameters -spec -glow -env -mipmap -2d_poof -missile_lighting -ballistic_gauge -cache_bitmaps -dualscanlines -targetinfo -rearm_timer -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload -alpha_env  -spec_exp 16.7 -spec_point 0.6 -spec_static 0.9 -spec_tube 1.0 -ambient_factor 75 -ogl_spec 80 -fov 0.75 -ship_choice_3d -img2dds -fps) i have two strange things.
At first, i cannot see texturse of subspace portals. there is only a green rectile. Second, the glide toggle doesn't work. I installed Beyond Red Lines and there the Glide mode works, but not in Freespace. Its so much fun du look in one direction and fly in another, so i hope its possible to activate it.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Two strange things in Freespace 2
Add -jpgtga to your command line and that will solve your first problem (well until 3.6.10 comes out and you have to remove it again :D )

Your second one isn't actually an error. Glide is an FS2_Open addition and as such wasn't a feature of the original game. There are mods around which allow you to use it but since they change the balance of the gameplay they can't be enabled by default.

I can't remember the link for one off-hand but I'm sure one of the people who use these mods will be along with a link soon enough.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline kyreon

Ok, thanks for the answer, but the addition of -jpgtga does not work. for example in the third mission its look like this

I Don't know if it should look like that.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
That's what subspace portals look like before you enter them... (the green thing; its just a computer representation).  When the Iceni jumps out, does a blue vortex form?  That's what the inside looks like.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yeah. So you didn't actually have any problem (that you'd noticed) but adding -jpgtga did actually save you from a couple of problems that would have turned up later.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Yeah. So you didn't actually have any problem (that you'd noticed) but adding -jpgtga did actually save you from a couple of problems that would have turned up later.
Actually he is using -img2dds, which means that -jpgtga isn't required.  When you use -img2dds it automatically enables JPG and TGA textures so that it can convert them to compressed textures for general use.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
So he is. I didin't spot it cause it's not in with the other graphics options. :)

Offline kyreon

ok, so i really have no problem at all ;)
thanks to all of you

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Heh, heh.. almost escaped, thought you'd get away like Bosch, eh?

:welcomeblue:

Second, the glide toggle doesn't work. I installed Beyond Red Lines and there the Glide mode works, but not in Freespace. Its so much fun du look in one direction and fly in another, so i hope its possible to activate it.

First, no player-flyable ship in FS (except a certain one you'll encounter in the future) allows you to use the Glide (Slide?) function. So it's more of a curiosity than anything else.

Second, unlike BTRL, FS has no default key assigned to the glide function. So you'll need to assign a key and create a modded ship that supports gliding.

Basically, have fun with BTRL, don't worry about gliding in FreeSpace.