Author Topic: [SOLVED]Really need help flags don't work and annoying flag file error!  (Read 2631 times)

Offline Chmielu

[SOLVED]Really need help flags don't work and annoying flag file error!
Hello everyone i'm totally new here =)

So the problem is that, the game works properly BUT:
launcher makes game start right away without menu of launcher, if i want the launcher menu i have to exit game kill proces fs2_open3_6_9.exe and then appears message cannot read flag file, so i check and i cannot use any flag file because features window is empty! i checked and found that i miss flags.ich but how i can get it? I tried deletin launcher6.ini and then launcher starts properly but when  browse for game it starts i and have to repeat exit>kill proces way. i also tried making empty file flags.ich but then i have only basic flags options.

i have windows xp
openal installed properly
game downloded with frescpaceopeninstaller.exe
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 03:34:06 pm by Chmielu »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: game beahviours strange
Hang on a sec, you click the browse button, pick the FS2_Open_3_6_9.exe file and click open and then without any further mouse clicks the game runs?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Chmielu

Re: game beahviours strange
yes i don't know ist it good or bad but i thought it means something.

edit: i checked mediavps are working if i use them as cmd line but i want to launch them with easy way and i still have this flag file error...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 11:45:01 am by Chmielu »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Re: Realy need help flags don't work and annoying flag file error!
Quite frankly I'm mystified. When you select a build in the launcher the game is run so that it can inform the launcher which flags it accepts (via the flags.lch file). However all this should do is run the game, generate that file and then quit. It shouldn't keep running.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Your error isn't "failed to read flag file", is it?  If it is, did you install OpenAL?  If not, go to www.openal.org and download the Installer for Windows (not the SDK).  Install it and try again.

EDIT: Just re-read your post.  Somebody shoot me.  :rolleyes:  Go ahead karajorma.
* jr2 closes eyes and waits for the shot he'll never hear.

Anyways, could this be a symptom of an older version of OpenAL conflicting with the new one?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
What's basically going on is that the launcher is running FS2 to find out what flags it accepts. But instead of running properly FS2_Open is locking up immediately. The launcher then reports that it can't find the flags file that FS2_Open should have created.

The error is not in the launcher itself. The error is actually in the FS2_open exe but it's locking up before any of the logging functions would even activate so even running the debug build wouldn't help.

It can't hurt to check if the install of OpenAL is good I suppose but I've never heard of it locking up FS2_Open this early on.

Offline Chmielu

i checked openal32.dll install multiple times and it is installed properly
i also reinstalled the gameand it didn't worked THE GAME WORKS FINE but LAUNCHER SHOWS AFTER KILLING THE GAME PROCESS, i mean game starts before launcher i checked, i can' t select generic software audio maybe this is a problem how to audio if its not showing all audio software.

http://www.game-warden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3597&highlight=flag+file there i found the same problem and solution but id doesn't help
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 03:18:34 am by Chmielu »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
That's very strange. Try this.

Create a new text file in your Freespace2\Data folder. Call it cmdline_fso.cfg edit it and add this to it.

Code: [Select]
-nosound
Now double click on the fs2_open_3_6_9.exe NOT the launcher. If the game runs now (with no sound) we can definitely be sure that your OpenAL install is the screw up. Otherwise it's some other driver that's locking it up.

Offline Chmielu

game works without sound - so that means from what you said openal is screwed but i tried multiple deleting, installing, uninstalling and then reinstalling and it's not working...

EDIT: OMG i fixed it! but i don't know which thing helped:

-i installed latest audio drivers
-i deleted old registry lines (i found that game was running im win 98 compability)

btw thx for help guys i think that whithout forum it would take much more time

PS. sry for mistakes i was a bit excited...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 07:33:47 am by Chmielu »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: [SOLVED]Really need help flags don't work and annoying flag file error!
This should be easy to check out if you feel like it... simply right-click on the Launcher.exe and go to Properties, then select win 98 compatibility.  Then, double-click the Launcher (open it) and run FS Open.  If it works, the drivers fixed it.  If it doesn't, then the compatibility screwed it up.  Now, after you have tested it, MAKE SURE TO RIGHT-CLICK Launcher.exe and go to Properties AND DE-SELECT COMPATIBILITY MODE.  ;)  There you have it!  That should tell you what was causing your problem.  Of course, if you don't want to do it, you don't have to... I wouldn't blame you.  :D